you heard it here first... Elon Musk prediction

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
Remember I said this first.... Tesla will be the next Delorean Motor Company.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this, I think he's set the groundwork to make EV the new revolution. Musk has spent the money to finally get an EV with over 300 miles of range in a car that is actually appealing to multiple levels of consumers.

That said, I think he's the one breaking down the barriers and will turn the industry on its head.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this, I think he's set the groundwork to make EV the new revolution. Musk has spent the money to finally get an EV with over 300 miles of range in a car that is actually appealing to multiple levels of consumers.

That said, I think he's the one breaking down the barriers and will turn the industry on its head.
He may be breaking down barriers in the industry but if the people in his own plants are treated better, he will never be able to produce enough cars. No amount of automation can completely eliminate the human worker.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
He may be breaking down barriers in the industry but if the people in his own plants are treated better, he will never be able to produce enough cars. No amount of automation can completely eliminate the human worker.
I understand what you're saying, and I'm not discounting it, but I believe the "Green" movement will ultimately provide him a metric shit-ton of overall leverage and influence as he proceeds forward ... certain aspects of his internal biz practices will be overlooked predicated upon his product's impact.

I could be wrong, just my opinion

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code

Part of me hopes this is correct... but given their cash burn and the lack of profit... I'm afraid they're about to really lose their investors.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Elon is gonna need one hell of a coke habit to run Tesla into the ground...
Nah- nothing to do with his personal habits... except for the ones that are having such a negative effect on the stock at the moment.

I think the company is rapidly running out of money. And still not producing enough cars. I have no idea how the business model is set up, but if you're not profitable until you turn out 75 cars per day, that's a tough model to fit.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
Part of me hopes this is correct... but given their cash burn and the lack of profit... I'm afraid they're about to really lose their investors.
I can see his angle on it though, there are some products that do better when they are introduced in a niche market; after seeing what the upper echelon finds appealing, it's then integrated into the more affordable models ... I see it as a testing ground of sorts as they gauge consumer interests.... and who knows, eventually you may be able to buy a $30K Tesla with Ludicrous mode

Reactions: I.D.-ten-T

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
Nah- nothing to do with his personal habits... except for the ones that are having such a negative effect on the stock at the moment.

I think the company is rapidly running out of money. And still not producing enough cars. I have no idea how the business model is set up, but if you're not profitable until you turn out 75 cars per day, that's a tough model to fit.
I agree, he will run out of money sooner than later. And his cars are expensive as hell and have problems. The batteries crap out around 60k miles, and they are ungodly expensive to fix, even after a minor accident. Thus the insurance companies charge out the ass to insure them. Would you want to drive a Tesla in the winter? Knowing that it might die in traffic, like we had during the snow apocalypse we had a few years ago? I can tell you that I have yet to see one up north. So what if you can park up front of mall at a recharging station. Still not worth the money for a car that only gos 300 miles at a time, and needs several hours to recharge.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

He also also spent a shit ton of money on the Space-X program as well as developing 18 wheelers that are electric and drive themselves.

Reactions: dial1911

Huddy

Sniper
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Honestly, I think that many of the self-made super rich entrepreneurs out there are on the spectrum. It allows them to focus and is really only noticable in the awkward social situations.
Social situations like, say, smoking weed and telling Joe Rogan that there is a high probability that we all live in a matrix-like psuedo-existence? Investors may stick with an audacious and far-reaching leader of a company...but his recent actions could lead investors to think he is unstable. My brother-in-law was recruited by Tesla a few months ago to help turn around their model 3 production volume, but he turned it down after two days of interviews, tours, and inspection of the plant operations. He didn't really say why he passed, just hinted that it didn't seem like a good long term venture.

Herk

Woodsman
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
Would you want to drive a Tesla in the winter? Knowing that it might die in traffic, like we had during the snow apocalypse we had a few years ago? I can tell you that I have yet to see one up north.
A friend of mine bought one recently and I've seen quite a few around here (northern CO). Not sure if that qualifies as "up north" to you but we have some snow and it gets moderately cold overnight for a few months every year.

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
A friend of mine bought one recently and I've seen quite a few around here (northern CO). Not sure if that qualifies as "up north" to you but we have some snow and it gets moderately cold overnight for a few months every year.
I'm stationed at Ft.McCoy WI. I haven't see any up here...

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I had seen the same one when I used to drive back and forth to Marrietta visiting my mom. Usually saw it in the PM in downtown Atlanta.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I'm stationed at Ft.McCoy WI. I haven't see any up here...

Our controller in Lena Illinois has a model X and we have a field supervisor in NY that drives a model S.

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Things reported in the Wall Street Journal that I don't think get discussed enough:

1) Tesla's "completely automated production line" is a bust. Musk admitted it in an interview. They spent massive $ to build it and had to just shut it down. Musk said (I'm paraphrasing) we had this plan that looked great on paper but it didn't work at all in the real world. We were over-confident about how easy it would be to implement. We had 'no idea' (his exact words, not a paraphrase) how difficult it is to set up an assembly line to produce that many cars on an ongoing basis.

2) Model 3 prices are closer to $50k than the hyped $35k unless you go with an austere, stripped-down version. The $1k pre-order deposits people put down for Model 3 sedans are refundable on demand. Tesla has not revealed any info on how many people want refunds due to pricing changes.

3) Tesla's model predicting sales volume without government subsidies is, obviously, untested in the real world. Nobody knows for sure what will happen to demand when government $ go away. (On a side note, why does California spend more tax money on electric vehicle subsidies than cleaning up natural forest debris that fuels wildfires?)

4) Tesla is asking suppliers for longer than normal payment periods and in some cases for suppliers to provide retroactive price cuts for components (in other words, give back $ already paid). Some suppliers are so concerned about getting paid they are placing liens on Tesla. Not a common practice in the auto industry.

Does this sound like a stable business model? Take out the celebrity worship of Musk, would it seem like a good investment? I would argue the only way it makes sense is if you believe the government will step in the way they did with GM in the not-too-distant past and Chrysler a few decades ago.

I hope I'm wrong. I want all American companies, especially manufacturers, to succeed. But, to be honest, I think you have a better shot at a stable, loving family life with one of the criminal cuties @BangBang is obsessed with.