American Revival Apparel Company

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
1. I see someone has my backpack ;)

2. Who's the smartass that brought a pistol?

3. No wind flags??
No wind flags. Gotta read the mirage.

Ha, a team from Ohio brought that. He had one hit out of five. Super nice guy.

Last edited:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
No wind flags. Gotta read the mirage.

Ha, a team from Ohio brought that and it's in .223! He had one hit out of five. Super nice guy.

I was mostly kidding- I assumed there was a pistol class or something.

I can't believe it's in .223. No way that's staying supersonic at that kind of yardage. Tumbling bullets don't track well.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I can't believe it's in .223. No way that's staying supersonic at that kind of yardage. Tumbling bullets don't track well.
Rifles or handguns under 50 pounds. That's the main rule. Most are .338 lapua, .416 Barrett or 50.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Sounds awesome... I'd love to see a Cheytac in the mix.

I don't know what the temperature range is supposed to be like there, but I don't see anyone with their ammo in coolers (just for temperature stability). That's one of the highpower shooter things you normally see... although these guys may not be trying to maintain the same zero.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Rifles or handguns under 50 pounds. That's the main rule. Most are .338 lapua, .416 Barrett or 50.
I'm surprised not to see .338 Lethal in the mix. That's a BAD mama jama.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Sounds awesome... I'd love to see a Cheytac in the mix.

I don't know what the temperature range is supposed to be like there, but I don't see anyone with their ammo in coolers (just for temperature stability). That's one of the highpower shooter things you normally see... although these guys may not be trying to maintain the same zero.
Yeah .375 Chey tacs here too. It's about upper 70s now. The biggest variable is wind, and it's been 10-20 crosswinds.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
That's a pretty fair amount of sideways wind to deal with.
Especially at that distance. I'd like to watch them do this one day. It's damn amazing. I remember reading the King of Two Miles article in Recoil. It's absolutely amazing.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Especially at that distance. I'd like to watch them do this one day. It's damn amazing. I remember reading the King of Two Miles article in Recoil. It's absolutely amazing.
We will have a team there this year.

Reactions: Rwjeter

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

Bullets don’t tumble just because they go subsonic.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Bullets don’t tumble just because they go subsonic.

I'm mostly standing on Dad's shoulders with my "tumbling" comment... I'm no expert when it comes to exterior ballistics.

My very limited understanding is that when passing through the sound barrier, the shock wave (although kind of a small shock wave for a slippery little bullet) tends to introduce a wobble. That combined with the slowing rotation of the bullet at distance, tends to make the nose begin to circle larger and larger. Aerodynamic effects on the sides start to take over and then you have a tumble... and at that point the .22 caliber bullet is dropping like a rock anyway.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm mostly standing on Dad's shoulders with my "tumbling" comment... I'm no expert when it comes to exterior ballistics.

My very limited understanding is that when passing through the sound barrier, the shock wave (although kind of a small shock wave for a slippery little bullet) tends to introduce a wobble. That combined with the slowing rotation of the bullet at distance, tends to make the nose begin to circle larger and larger. Aerodynamic effects on the sides start to take over and then you have a tumble... and at that point the .22 caliber bullet is dropping like a rock anyway.
He was shooting it for fun. Also has one in 28 nosler.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code

That is a possibility, but it is not for certain.