Winter prep

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I’ve heard from a couple meteorologists that this winter is going to be bad. What are your winter preps?

I’m prepping for losing power, gas, and water for a week. Basically focusing on heat, water, and food. I don’t go over the top with prepping. I don’t mind suffering for a couple of days either.

Heat:
Kerosene heater (@Red Dawn the igniter batteries were dead! I manually ignite it now.)
5 gallons kerosene
1 cord of wood for the fireplace
2 bag of charcoal for the grill

Food:
30 lbs rice
20 lbs of beans
Bunch of canned veggies
Extra bag of dog food

Water:
50 gallons drinkable

Thinking about getting ice chains or those hybrid ones. Recommendations?

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I need to get some word cut and drying. Got a fireplace in the basement, just no dry wood right now.

Good point on the charcoal... I buy a lot every year when Lowe's puts it on sale. Probably have a hundred pounds but didn't really think about it as preps.

Jake

AKA "Scooter"
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
Sand bags for the bed of the truck, a come along winch, tow straps, extra water, extra food, 10 gallons of gas and extra firewood...I don't really worry too much since I always have either a 4wd or an AWD to get around in. Walmart is always open, even during the "Snowpocalypse" they were open and I was able to get around just fine and go out and get a few small things that I needed. The only thing I'm really making it a point to stock up on more of ahead of time is firewood. Last time luckily I had enough but there were cars lined up for a half mile at most places that sold fire wood and they were charging quadruple what they normally charge.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Sand bags for the bed of the truck, a come along winch, tow straps, extra water, extra food, 10 gallons of gas and extra firewood...I don't really worry too much since I always have either a 4wd or an AWD to get around in. Walmart is always open, even during the "Snowpocalypse" they were open and I was able to get around just fine and go out and get a few small things that I needed. The only thing I'm really making it a point to stock up on more of ahead of time is firewood. Last time luckily I had enough but there were cars lined up for a half mile at most places that sold fire wood and they were charging quadruple what they normally charge.
Get a chainsaw and make your own.

Red Dawn

Wolverine
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
MURICA
Zip code
I am glad you figured out it was the batteries @DoglegArms it had me stumped for sure trying to figure that one out lol.

I’d like to think the basics in survival here in GA. Food Water Shelter and Protection. @karlvv is right on with 3 months supply. We should make that an at least min. Also Air quality needs to be thought of. Can’t live if u can’t breath. And there’s something special a fire can do for ya when there’s a blackout. It revives and gives hope.