Why do you NOT have chickens?

2Glocks

Chicken-Legged Fat-Boy
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
I just want you to know, I miss my chickens something fierce. I know live in the city, thought we just can't have pigs, we can have everything else. But I haven't been able to talk war department into it.
You can come up and hang out with mine whenever you want! Just got a Brahma rooster today and he’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cameron Shepherd

2Glocks

Chicken-Legged Fat-Boy
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
HOA... and my dogs would eat them, if I win the lottery I'll buy a another house with a private lake all to myself. And then some goats maybe. And I hate eggs.
Yeah I’ve lost a few to my dogs, goats are cool! I want a donkey

Cameron Shepherd

Chasing Waterfalls
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2015
Cleveland, TN
Zip code
You can come up and hang out with mine whenever you want! Just got a Brahma rooster today and he’s awesome!

I’m all about it! When I start traveling for work again, I may take you up on it. Ima bit further north. Haha

Grainchaser

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I kinda want to buy a flock of guineas and let them loose, just to piss off my neighbors.
I totally had the same thought, to wreak havoc on my asshole neighbor with his ill trained dog, that barks like clockwork from 11 PM to 11:40 PM each and every night.

Bigigloopt2

Boog Jester
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2019
Canton
Pros of chickens:
  • Easy to take care off
  • Regular source of food from the eggs
  • When they stop laying they can be meat
  • Source of entertainment when they do stoopid stuff
  • Cheap to care for
  • Flocks can self maintain if you get a rooster
Cons:
  • Roosters are loud as crap
  • Chicken coops smell like the wrong end of a dumpster
Source of this information:
  • I am the Chicken Daddy
Anyone with the space and the time should consider getting a flock in my opinion. Other than an HOA that won't let you, why have you not taken the dive and gotten flocked-up?
View attachment 53898
Gonna have some as soon as I get a house

• Love
Reactions: 2Glocks

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I love my dogs, therefore I do not let them play in the street. Oddly enough I treated my sons the same way.

The cats that piss around my front porch must be feral, 'cause cat lovers surely wouldn't allow Tabby to just run loose.

My wife likes cats a little less than I do. I'll be watching for any unusual "growth".
A. .22lr short will clean up any cats the dogs miss away

2Glocks

Chicken-Legged Fat-Boy
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
Because I had birds before. Yoo much eork. Planta are easier. And cheaper.
The place were going to look at this weekend has a lot of cleared land ready for planting, i'm exited to dive into growing non-chicken things!

Reactions: Jeddak

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I have deer ,bear, fox, coyotes ,racoons, dogs, opossums, rabbits, tree rats, lizards, snakes ,moles, voles, Oh, and the neighbors rooster. I`m good.

Reactions: Grunk and dial1911

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
2 hives, first year bees. Each super is approx. 40# if all honey. Honey will not be very good this year as they missed the spring nectar flow.

stupid question,if you harvest the honey what do the bees eat over winter? Always wondered the cycle and how and when do the bees use the honey if its taken.Need educated thanks

Reactions: 2Glocks

Allsmiles

Tracker
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
There is a deep super for the bees (can hold 60#) and then we put a queen excluder so she can go above that level and lay eggs. Supers on top are for honey and us. You can also feed bees to help get they by during the lean months. Bottom of our hives have 2 deep supers so they have room now and storage for the winter.

Allsmiles

Tracker
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
First harvest this year (skipped last year) was 51# of very nice floral honey. Plan on doing final harvest in a week or so depending on weather. I haven't looked inside the hive in a little bit to see how the 5 hives are doing. #6 hive should be doing better since I put in frames of eggs and larvae for them to make a queen with. It didn't cost anything except frame, so everything is a plus.

Reactions: Grunk

dougiemac

Captain
Owner
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
My HOA doesn’t allow them...however I’m sleeping with a hot chick on the HOA board so I maybe able to sneak it past since I’ve got some pretty cool neighbors and if I bring them good tidings of eggs regularly, they’d be happy. Now all I need is to get a small, classy looking coop/run to contain them so they don’t end up on the golf course.

Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk