Who uses an ultrasonic cleaner? Need input.

Faktory 47

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Alright so I finally picked up a Lyman and some solution today to clean these fucking horrendous suppressors lol. I spent a couple HOURS the other night attempting to clean my Spectre ii and Tirant 9 and finally gave up with literal cramping hands. My process was:
  1. Soak in CLP for minimum 24 hours.
  2. Disassemble and scrub for FUCKING EVER.
  3. Scrape what won't come off with an awl (I'm sure this is bad, idk).
  4. Scrub a whole bunch more.
  5. Wipe clean with fresh Solvent.
  6. Wipe dry.
  7. Coat everything in a thin layer of CLP.
  8. Reassemble.
So everything was still pretty dirty even still, mostly still caked up pretty bad on the insides of the baffles, and I can't get brushes on the inside corners of the baffles and other hard to reach places. I picked up this Lyman today and it's running as I type this. I bought their Turbo Sonic solution to try. If it's no bueno Ill try purple power or simple green like some others do. My questions for y'all are:
  • Am I hurting either cans internals with this solution that says its for steel gun parts? (@chance I figure this is right up your alley?)
    • Tirant is made with Grade 9 Ti, 17-4PH SS, 7075-T6 so the Ti and Aluminum worry me.
    • Spectre ii is made with stainless steel so I assume this one is fine.
  • I heard to not put the outer tubes in bc it can clean the finish right off, any experience with this?
  • What solutions do you use that work well for 22lr and 9mm buildup?
  • Do you just rinse your shit in the sink when done or does everyone actually dump all the solution, fill with water, and rinse this way several times?
  • What else am I missing?
UPDATE: They have been in there for 30 mins and don't look any different lol. FML. I pulled a baffle out and scrubbed it. Nothing. What's next? Start pouring harsh ass chemicals in this bitch until they're clean?? I'll fuckin do it. I'm lazy!

UPDATE: After an hour and a half in, the baffles do appear to have less build up on them. There is also a bunch of black clumps in the bottom of the unit. Will update with pics soon.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.33.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.33.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.33.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.33.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.32.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 8.42.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Dawn

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Grab a Chore Boi bar scrubber (about $3 at hardware store) and it will make quick work on the Spectre baffles. Does a great job of also cleaning out the inside of tube also. I just used it and Hoppes and worked great. I have a TiRant 45 and used it on the inside and after about 3 passes it was spotless. Baffles I was more careful with as they are aluminum. I don't think you want to put TiRant baffles in ultrasonic cleaner. Someone may be along shortly to give better information.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Grab a Chore Boi bar scrubber (about $3 at hardware store) and it will make quick work on the Spectre baffles. Does a great job of also cleaning out the inside of tube also. I just used it and Hoppes and worked great. I have a TiRant 45 and used it on the inside and after about 3 passes it was spotless. Baffles I was more careful with as they are aluminum. I don't think you want to put TiRant baffles in ultrasonic cleaner. Someone may be along shortly to give better information.
I have one, and other similar scrubbers that I didn't even mention because they didn't do shit! I ran these cans for like a year without cleaning... I think I am long past the convenience of simply scrubbing them clean lol.

Reactions: KhyberPass

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I tagged this thread hoping someone would come along and mention something that actually dissolves the carbon buildup. Does anything actually exist?
I was told to soak in kroil overnight, and that doesn’t do a damn thing.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I tagged this thread hoping someone would come along and mention something that actually dissolves the carbon buildup. Does anything actually exist?
Some goofball employee at GFL (sorry some of those guys are cool as hell but some seem so newbish) told me to soak the entire thing in lube for 24 hours then go shoot some +P's through it. I mean, I'm sure that will remove some carbon, but it's not going to CLEAN it lol. Wasn't really what I was expecting out of a gun store employee, but then again, I should know better by now...

Reactions: chance and lesptr

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
The ultrasonic does an ok job at cleaning but takes forever and makes an awful fucking noise.

only things to watch out for is dont put painted parts or aluminum in it. It will remove the finish, pit the aluminum, or destroy the aluminum entirely.

stainless steel and titanium are good to go.Ive dont a bunch of both metals in a much larger ultrasonic machine.

the absolute best cleaning method for steel and ti baffles is to rotary tumble them in stainless pins. Will make them look brand new in a relatively short amount of time.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Some goofball employee at GFL (sorry some of those guys are cool as hell but some seem so newbish) told me to soak the entire thing in lube for 24 hours then go shoot some +P's through it. I mean, I'm sure that will remove some carbon, but it's not going to CLEAN it lol. Wasn't really what I was expecting out of a gun store employee, but then again, I should know better by now...
I have a couple ideas of who that might have been, but dont do that

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code

I got the Kroil suggestion from a gun store. When will I learn?

Reactions: Slacker1972

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Theres an easy solution to make called “the dip” that actually dissolves the lead and cleans them very well. But then you are left with an aqueous solution of lead acetate, which will absorb easily through the skin. So be careful with it.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The ultrasonic does an ok job at cleaning but takes forever and makes an awful fucking noise.

only things to watch out for is dont put painted parts or aluminum in it. It will remove the finish, pit the aluminum, or destroy the aluminum entirely.

stainless steel and titanium are good to go.Ive dont a bunch of both metals in a much larger ultrasonic machine.

the absolute best cleaning method for steel and ti baffles is to rotary tumble them in stainless pins. Will make them look brand new in a relatively short amount of time.
Good to know Thank you sir. Now to figure out wtf is aluminum in my Tirant lmao. I conveniently have a ton of stainless pins meant for tumbling, but no tumbler lmao. I think I have a buddy with one I can borrow.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
The dip would be fine for the Spectre baffles, don't know about the TiRant ones. Still have haz mat to get rid of after the fact.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I have a couple ideas of who that might have been, but dont do that
The dude is cool but I was like uhhhhh ok thanks for trying to cover me in lube essentially. I could see walking away with stained clothes and burning eyes lol.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Theres an easy solution to make called “the dip” that actually dissolves the lead and cleans them very well. But then you are left with an aqueous solution of lead acetate, which will absorb easily through the skin. So be careful with it.
I will gladly put that shit in this ultrasonic lol. Is that a thing? I’ll be careful. I have chemical proof gloves from my mold remediation days

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Fuck cleaning the 9mm can unless you’ve been shooting .22lr through it. Dirty can is a quiet can. Clean the .22 can in a Tumbler like mentioned above just so it doesn’t lock up. Fuck cleaning center fire cans

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Fuck cleaning the 9mm can unless you’ve been shooting .22lr through it. Dirty can is a quiet can. Clean the .22 can in a Tumbler like mentioned above just so it doesn’t lock up. Fuck cleaning center fire cans
Ever? I prob have 2k rounds through it.

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
I will gladly put that shit in this ultrasonic lol. Is that a thing? I’ll be careful. I have chemical proof gloves from my mold remediation days
Be SUPER careful with the dip don’t put it in an Ultra sonic cleaner If you do it put it in a mason jar. You can reuse it a few times but dispose of that properly and use in well ventilated area.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Be SUPER careful with the dip don’t put it in an Ultra sonic cleaner If you do it put it in a mason jar. You can reuse it a few times but dispose of that properly and use in well ventilated area.
Sounds saucy! Which means it’s worth a fuck lol.

Reactions: KhyberPass

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
What you did to clean your 9mm can is max what I do. It’ll look like shit again in 500 rounds so I got tired of trying to keep up with it. Breaking apart, knocking off big chunks and making sure it can reassemble is all I care to do for the center fire pistol cans now days