When to CC?

American Revival Apparel Company

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
The more i think about this.. the more that I feel that is really has to become second nature. The only plan that will make this work.is.:Carry every day. Carry your guns in the same condition every day..When you go to bed..keep the same weapon that you use for this purpose.(Same condition every night, and in the same place). The same goes for any bugs that you use. Proly even more important at night. Can you imagine what you would go through if were awakened from sleep, and then .."now where did I set that pistol down last night?" :eek:. Maybe you could just make the universal symbol for "timeout"to the BG... as you try to collect your thoughts..Might work.. ???

M

mukwah

As for as a pistol, I keep my home protection weapon in the same place as I have for 15 years or so. I can put my hand on it instantly in pitch black darkness, and have many times! ;)

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Glad you had the ephipany...I'm sitting in the den on the computer, there a gun in the shelf on my desk. I keep one around handy, just sitting around the house, short of a shower of course. I'm glad you brought up the subject though, about getting it all sorted out in your head and giving it some thought. I've been through all that.

I read somewhere that some where after the 19th time of doing it, that strapping on a seat belt becomes learned behavior and we don't give it hardly any thought, we do it by reflex. Guns don't quite work that way.

I don't think about it ever day, but it does bear some consideration in the "doing" of it.

Have you ever started out from home going some where and realized you're not carrying? Do you turn around and go back and get it or have that little debate in your head that says... You really might not need it today, so why bother? Are we just being paranoid? What are the odds that something is really going to happen? Am i going to tempt fate or providence and just let it ride? I've had those little moments. I got back and get it.

Now I lay me down to sleep. The safes locked. The guns on the night stand and another one (12 gauge) within immediate access. Just in case, that's why I carry too.

Sassi

Hunter
Mar 7, 2010
Middle Georgia
I do not recall what year it was when I actually began to carry a gun daily, or to maintain a couple of shotguns hidden in discreet locations around the house within quick access. It just happened. Today putting a pistol in my pocket every morning, or strapping on a holstered pistol is no different than making sure that I have my cell phone and favorite Leatherman tool with me.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
I went with the advice to always carry. I have a friend that don't if he know's there may be a no carry place in is day. I keep telling him for around $25.00 you can get a decent car vault. I purchased a Bulldog car vault $23.95, now I never think twice if I should take my CC with me. It goes.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Good thoughts all!. All that you need to think about was mentioned by Slowhand. If you have ever left your home without the weapon (weapons)...no one has to explain to you the feeling of vunerabilty, and the near panic you feel when you are accustomed to CC. You KNOW that you messed up.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Like your way of thinking. Carry always. Same protocol for me daily, while out & about or at home. Routine never changes. Guess I'm prepared! Yogi ;D :D 8)

number2son

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
California
The only time I've not carried is when I was on the way to the hospital via waaabulance and those few times I just plain forgot. I felt like sheep.

Always carry!

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
I notice when I'm not carrying... even at work. It's about the only time I don't carry including sitting in my recliner watching TV.
That being said, I work in a school building, in a school district. The signs are posted and it's an immediate dismissal type of offense.
I'm not independently wealthy and tow the line.

WAcarry

Hunter
Jun 22, 2012
WA State
Since I bought the LCP, I carry always. At night the .45 is in the nightstand and all other guns in the safe. My wife knows that all handguns in the safe are loaded and ready to fire. Her job, for lack of a better term, when the shtf at night is to grab the phone dial 911 on her way to the safe in case I need back up. The safe is in our walk in closet so it's a good place to hide too.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
I notice when I'm not carrying... even at work. It's about the only time I don't carry including sitting in my recliner watching TV.
That being said, I work in a school building, in a school district. The signs are posted and it's an immediate dismissal type of offense.
I'm not independently wealthy and tow the line.

Been there and done that. The first 8 years I was in the Post Office I worked out at the airport. The parking lot belonged to the airport and since it was away from the passenger terminal area and any aircraft areas, there was no prohibition on having a gun in your vehicle.

They closed the place down and moved us all over to the Process and Distribution Center in a bad part of town. They had fences around the place and signs posted all over the place "No Firearms" IAW several Federal Type Postal Codes that made it pretty clear. Get caught with a weapon, you're fired and maybe going to jail.

It's a great paying job, with loads of benefits, but... there I am, disarmed by my employer, working in a "Gun Free Zone" surrounded by a world of thugs and lunatics.

A Lady got into a dispute with another employee and made some threats about going to get her gun. The next night the Local Police and Postal Police showed up with the dogs and searched the entire parking area. Guess who got fired? We all get the usual standup briefings from management about Zero Tolerance. It takes the Local Cops 25 minutes to respond to the place and we are not to worry?

So for the next 6 years I left my guns at home and drove to and from work. I avoided any stops but... there were numerous times I came home and picked up some heat, then went back out to get something I needed.

I call it one of those things we have to do for money. I retired in January and that's it folks. Miss Elsie Pea and I have to go mow the lawn.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
Other than when at work in the hospital - no carry zone - I always carry, mostly Elsie.

Went to the mailbox at home the other day and left Elsie inside. Realized there was no Elsie in the pocket on the way back to the house, kind of slunk back in. You do feel naked without her, once you get used to CC.

R

rayzer007

Other than areas where you would get into serious trouble if caught carrying (lose permit, get fired) I don't see any reason "not" to carry.
Ray

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
With the obvious caveat that every State's laws on CC are different, NC tries to spell it out. In places where CC is prohibited by statute, ie: schools, state court property, rest stops on highway, it is permitted to temporarily store your firearm in a locked metal box in a lock vehicle and not be in violation. It is a little inconvenient, but I bought one of the StackOn nano gunvaults for each vehicle. If I have to go pick up grandkids at school, I stop and store the firearm in the box before entering the property. One problem is how to define a "property". Does it include the parking lots, driveways, etc. You get the idea. I guess common sense and discretion are the best defense.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Slowhand said:
A Lady got into a dispute with another employee and made some threats about going to get her gun. The next night the Local Police and Postal Police showed up with the dogs and searched the entire parking area. Guess who got fired? We all get the usual standup briefings from management about Zero Tolerance. It takes the Local Cops 25 minutes to respond to the place and we are not to worry?

So for the next 6 years I left my guns at home and drove to and from work. I avoided any stops but... there were numerous times I came home and picked up some heat, then went back out to get something I needed.

I call it one of those things we have to do for money. I retired in January and that's it folks. Miss Elsie Pea and I have to go mow the lawn.
I ran a car dealership before CCW became "popular" in this state. At that time a salesman (and a personal friend) from another store took a customer for a Corvette test drive. He was dumped out on the freeway by the illegally armed customer. Luckily the perp did not have malicious intentions and the salesman had one great story to tell in the lunchroom. I've been out of the business for about 12 years, but the friends I have who remain are all well armed.

This is also partial motivation for being armed as close to full time as possible. You just never know... :eek:

bandrich

Scout
Jun 25, 2012
S.E. Wisconsin
Since I received my CCL in mid December 2011 I have only left the house twice without one of my three fav's. Depending on the weather and clothing. It felt kind of strange to me not have a firearm with me. Like I was going to be attached by a BG at any minute and would not be able to defend myself and wife. Did not like the feeling. ALWAYS CARRY!

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
millsriver said:
With the obvious caveat that every State's laws on CC are different, NC tries to spell it out. In places where CC is prohibited by statute, ie: schools, state court property, rest stops on highway, it is permitted to temporarily store your firearm in a locked metal box in a lock vehicle and not be in violation. It is a little inconvenient, but I bought one of the StackOn nano gunvaults for each vehicle. If I have to go pick up grandkids at school, I stop and store the firearm in the box before entering the property. One problem is how to define a "property". Does it include the parking lots, driveways, etc. You get the idea. I guess common sense and discretion are the best defense.

I routinely check my SC State Laws for little changes that the Politicians like to make.

In SC a person who can legally own a hand gun can ride around with it inside their vehicle, as long as it's properly stored as defined by State Law. They go up the driveway at a school to pick up a srudent and they've broken the law.

A person who holds a CWP or Concealed Weapons Permit has to remove their weapon and properly store it.

Lord knows I’d hate to break the law and interrupt some “Protected species” of psycho that was busy working his way through a bunch of unarmed students and teachers in a “Gun Free Zone” .

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
I carry everywhere and at all times...except on the military base up the road, and places prohibited by state statutes.