This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What's new for 2019 trucks

Discussion in 'Grease Monkey's Garage' started by AirOpsMgr, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell Purveyor of Polyurethane
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

There's these new spray chrome processes now that mimic the look of real chrome. You can get a nice looking black chrome finish that way. Real chrome does not take paint at all. I could do a tinted black clear over chrome and get a nice black chrome look, but by the time that coating fully cured, you'd be flaking & chipping like crazy.

AirOpsMgr and Mac11FA like this.
  2. AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr Director of Lavatory Services
    Administrator Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, the guy that had the truck that I saw told me it was paint, said he was going to do the black chrome plating process but it was too expensive for him.

I kinda wondered how paint would hold up

3. Willy Leadwell

It won't. Because the tinted coating is clear, you can't prep the surface or any scratches will show. In order to paint chrome, I usually sand it very aggressively then apply something that will etch the metal, then prime, then paint. If you do that right, it will stick reasonably well. I've done it many times to save having to buy new paintable bumpers and grilles. Since you need the bright shiny chrome underneath the tinted clear, all you can do is clean it really good and cross your fingers. The good news is, once it starts to flake, which will probably be in about 6 months, you can take a pressure washer to it and just go back to chrome.

AirOpsMgr and 1776 like this.
  4. 1776

1776 Ninja
    Trusted Trader

I wonder if a smoked clear vinyl wrap would stay put?

5. Willy Leadwell

This is blasphemy in the paint world. Stickers are for kid's toys and race cars. No self respecting grown man should have stickers on his personal ride no matter how much area the sticker may cover.

#145 Willy Leadwell, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    dial1911 and AirOpsMgr like this.
  6. Willy Leadwell

Stopped by Maxie price in loganville today to get a look at the first 2019 Silverados. He said all the first run is white, but they had the RST. If it had been black he probably could have sold it to me.

C40A4ADA-86EA-4E5E-97BA-D3E827368148.jpeg 6B914469-9428-4377-BC17-F0BFD5E998C2.jpeg

7. karlvv

karlvv Deer Slaying Legend
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

Damn that's nice.

8. Jake

Jake Actually, you know what, fuck that Jeter guy.
    Super Moderator Trusted Trader

Loganville? Where's Loganville?

9. AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr Director of Lavatory Services
    Administrator Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

I'm on the fence with the front end on this one as well; while it looks a little better than the 2019 Ram, it (in my opinion) screams Star Wars Stormtrooper.

I'm also wondering why there is such a big focus on squint-look headlights and putting the model badge up on the hood? Ford started it a couple of years ago, then GM followed suite with the Z71 badging up there, then Ram moves it up there with the squinty headlights, and now GM puts the whole Silverado logo up there with squinty headlights.

2019 taillights across the 3 major brands are also nearly identical (Chevy now leaning toward Ford's look that they started a couple of years ago).

Call me crazy, but in 2 or 3 more years, we'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them

10. EugenFJR

EugenFJR Army SDM

I'm looking at a nice Black and Tan truck, that is at a great price right now... So, maybe I won't be getting a Subaru.
    2018Black1500.jpg 1500Int2018.jpg