Vacuum sealer

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Need some suggestions for one that works with mylar bags. The current one will not vacuum the mylar bags because they are smooth.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I'm interested in this too... best I've seen before is vacuum sealed bags put in mylar with an O2 absorber.

Reactions: Grunk

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Do you put in the oxygen absorbers too?
From what I've read.... Vacuum seal whatever you want, put those sealed bags into a larger mylar bag, then O2 absorber in mylar.

I guess the idea is that the O2 absorber gets the oxygen in the bag and whatever may seep in... the mylar is a cheap way to try to keep more oxygen out.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
From what I've read.... Vacuum seal whatever you want, put those sealed bags into a larger mylar bag, then O2 absorber in mylar.

I guess the idea is that the O2 absorber gets the oxygen in the bag and whatever may seep in... the mylar is a cheap way to try to keep more oxygen out.
I might try mylar in my food saver. I doubt it will work but if you wrinkle the edge a little it might.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I assumed you put the food straight in the mylar bag with the oxygen absorber. The issue I am having is the vacuum sealer can't create enough seal to allow the vacuum portion to work properly.

I see no need to vacuum seal the food in standard bags and then the mylar.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
So after doing some more research, trying to vacuum seal mylar bags is almost impossible. The most popular way to seal is using a flat iron (just take your wife's). So open the bag, insert the food into the bag, throw in the oxygen absorbers, compress the bag and flat iron to seal it.

Here is a decent link
https://www.skilledsurvival.com/mylar-bags-food-storage/

Huddy

Marksman
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
So after doing some more research, trying to vacuum seal mylar bags is almost impossible. The most popular way to seal is using a flat iron (just take your wife's). So open the bag, insert the food into the bag, throw in the oxygen absorbers, compress the bag and flat iron to seal it.

Here is a decent link
https://www.skilledsurvival.com/mylar-bags-food-storage/
Yep, this works well and is what I've done for quite some time. Wifey looked at me funny when I asked her for her old flat iron. Only word of caution: beware the source of your oxygen absorbers. Some I've bought have been old, or complete shit and failed to work...and be sure to use the right amount/size absorbers for the size of mylar bag being used.
Edit: I've found putting remaining absorbers in a mason jar with a fresh lid and tightened ring keeps em fresh for a while...but I avoid buying large amount of them unless I'm planning on storing a metric ton of stuff at once.

Reactions: Cudruln