University Of Texas At Austin To Allow Concealed Carry

Howard Law
D

David

Is this a first? I can't think of any other universities that allow for concealed carry on to campus?

The University of Texas at Austin President Greg Fenves hasreleased his decision regarding the controversial campus carry law, which would allow handguns in classrooms. After reviewing the task force recommendations, Fenves says he will allow handguns in classrooms.

In a letter to UT students, faculty and staff, Fenves said while he personally does not believe handguns belong on campus, he is obligated to enforce the law. Additionally he has established another group, Campus Carry Implementation Task Force, to develop rules for handguns on campus.
Full story: http://nbc4i.com/2016/02/17/university-of-texas-to-allow-guns-in-classrooms/

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
It's a good thing in my mind, if you're willing to go through the training to be "certified" to carry then you've shown the responsibility to do so. I thought some time back maybe like 6 or 7 years ago that there was a campus in Texas that you could carry on as well although I could be mistaken

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I agree with you, conceal carry should be allowed at all Universities. But I worry about one of the idiots who just has to pull out his/her weapon to show it off and "boom" a puff of smoke followed by a body dropping to the ground!! You know it's going to happen :(

After owning a pet store for 10 years, I've come to the conclusion that humanity is not as smart as we think. Those of you who have dealt with the public know what I'm talking about...

D

David

[QUOTE="HOG2K]I agree with you, conceal carry should be allowed at all Universities. But I worry about one of the idiots who just has to pull out his/her weapon to show it off and "boom" a puff of smoke followed by a body dropping to the ground!! You know it's going to happen :(
After owning a pet store for 10 years, I've come to the conclusion that humanity is not as smart as we think. Those of you who have dealt with the public know what I'm talking about...

[/QUOTE]
You speak the truth. There is always some idiot all to willing to take out what he considers his latest "toy" to show off to everyone and not follow any safety measures at all, and before long its just a terrible situation and puts an end to it for everyone.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah, it's a shame... always a few that can ruin a good thing for all.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
I can agree with that, but I gotta assume with the type of people that are going to go through the time and effort to conceal; they are not going to be your typical millennial idiot....at least I hope not......

by the way this is a great way to put things in perspective

[QUOTE="HOG2K]After owning a pet store for 10 years, I've come to the conclusion that humanity is not as smart as we think. Those of you who have dealt with the public know what I'm talking about...

[/QUOTE]

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
[QUOTE="Dirtbike]I can agree with that, but I gotta assume with the type of people that are going to go through the time and effort to conceal; they are not going to be your typical millennial idiot....at least I hope not......
by the way this is a great way to put things in perspective

[/QUOTE]
You my friend have more confidence in people than I do, listening to some of the questions that were presented to the CCW officer ( who is a retired cop who during part of his career trained CPD firearms and a life long friend of mine*. We talked about just this subject and he was telling me all kinds of horror stories of people pulling out their weapon for some ridiculous reasons, so again my hope that people would be smarter after taking the class, most would be and some not.. :( and to think I'm an optimist.. lol

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
I suppose I tend to look at things from the perspective of those that make the effort have earned the right, you're probably right there inevitably will be some bad apples but isn't that everywhere? That's where we have laws on the books that really ought to be strictly enforced when one is broken, Texas LTC in comparison to Ohio ' s CCW laws are not all that different in respect to you cannot just pull your firearm to show it off in public, that being said you still have to be at least 21 in order to carry a pistol on your person it's not like setting an 18 year old kid on the loose.

All that said I respect your thoughts on this and hope like you that the bad apple's don't make a mistake they can't take back. ...

Just my thought fwiw

Last edited by a moderator:

OhAggie98

Hunter
Mar 5, 2016
The Texas State legislature has required all universities to come up with plans that allow concealed carry on campuses. Currently it's allowed outside of buildings and in vehicles, but not in buildings. All universities have to have plans submitted to the state before a certain deadline. Texas A&M is working on theirs, UofH has a draft ready. If it's too restrictive, the state legislature can reject it and make the university rewrite it so it's not too restrictive to CHL holders. No open carry allowed on campuses though.

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I agree no open carry, but when are these politicians going to realize that "BAD" guys could care less about what laws they are breaking!!

Need to CC on campus:

1.Take the CCW class & have license

2. Be of age

3. NO disciplinary actions on campus for violence

4. NO open carry

5. NO rifles

6. NO Alcohol related arrests ( either on campus or not )

Geesh I feel like I could go on forever...