Thread for posting things nobody cares about...

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Finally got out of swainsboro, ga. Hotel pissed me off and lost all of my business. Now in the booming town of Dublin, ga. Still crappy, but more options for food and an appreciative hotel.
Back when we lived in Eatonton and drove to Brunswick several times a year, we would pass through Dublin if we came down 441. I just remember the 2 exits onto 16 that had fast food but think there was also a Cracker Barrel there.

I always hated the small town hotels when I traveled and had a couple that pissed me off as well. Fortunately, I never had to use them again but I still reported them to the chain.

I.D.-ten-T

Professional Knucklehead
Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Here
Zip code
Was it sealed from the fluid?
No, and from what I can tell it's not supposed to be since there's a gear on it that interacts with the trans.
The videos I saw mentioned that the fluid isn't supposed to pour out of the hole because it shouldn't be filled that high. And none did, so I guess it's OK.
In any case, the speedometer works now and the transmission is shifting correctly. And I found the part for $12.50, on Amazon, over $120 CHEAPER than at the parts stores. E70CECB9-BC14-42AD-9D55-6D2ACB04E9FA.jpeg 670753ED-2313-488A-A0B6-13900697295E.jpeg

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Maybe I forgot to tell you, but it’s running fine!
Finally found a cheaper option to fix the axle seals, just waiting on the parts to arrive, but it still runs. I replaced the speed sensor on the back of the diff, and that fixed a lot.
I guess we will find out what stays around longer the paint or your mechanical issues!

I.D.-ten-T

Professional Knucklehead
Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Here
Zip code
I guess we will find out what stays around longer the paint or your mechanical issues!
It's a 26 yr old truck. Illud est quod est.

But I made the initial investment knowing it's a truck that's seeing increasing value in the market, so if I ever truly get sick of it, I'll at least break even.
The paint job, however, is important from a "Curb Appeal" perspective.

I mean, you wouldn't fix up the structure of a house and NOT give it a coat of paint, mow the lawn, etc. if it needed that too, right?
Surely you wouldn't want to live in a slum, and right now that truck LOOKS like a slum, with 3 black panels on an oxidized silver truck.

Funny thing you've nailed correctly is that many people DO paint a vehicle before getting the mechanicals repaired - according to the shop I've been talking to about the project. I've also seen it happen in the stupid car-repair shows on TV. This is counter-intuitive to me, since there's a fair likelihood that the paint can get damaged by the mechanics.
However, I'm at the tail-end of the mechanical repairs (that I'm currently aware of) and need to keep the ball rolling for my own sanity's sake.
If I were planning to swap the engine from the 3.0 (3.SLOW) to the 3.4, and do a solid front axle, and maybe change it from a 4spd automatic transmission to 5-speed stick, then yeah, a paint job would be a long way out. I'd love to do those things, but they're just not practical, especially given that this vehicle has only 146K on its current drive train.

Maybe in another 15 years...and by then it might need paint again.