Thoughts on Ruger PC Carbine

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Have any of y’all had or shot one of the new Ruger 9mm carbines? I have been very tempted to get one but I wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience with one.

I mostly want to see if it’s been reliable and accurate enough for self defense.

Reactions: erkinator 2

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah, they're fine. I'd take it over something like the Sub2000 for sure. Accuracy for SD out of a carbine isn't really an issue, and the two I've shot have ran fine with every kind of ammo we had, including some Wolf steel cased stuff. As soon as someone (Magpul) comes out with a better stock, I'll probably grab one too. I just love PCC's that work.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I posted this a few weeks ago.
I love mine andI plan to get 2 more to have one in each vehicle. I’m using the Burris Fastfire 3.

I just completed a 1000 round test using various factory and reloads (115, 124, and 147 gn), all suppressed, without cleaning. I had one failure to feed at around the 700 round mark, which I believe was due to rearward pressure applied to the magazine while using a range bag as a rest.
Red dot used was Burris Fastfire 3.
Magazines used were Glock, KCI, Magpul, and ETS.
This carbine is just plain fun.
My wife really liked it as well.
I plan to use this as a dedicated truck gun.

5e3bbd672b5854bd2a58d3d1fe48af98.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yeah, they're fine. I'd take it over something like the Sub2000 for sure. Accuracy for SD out of a carbine isn't really an issue, and the two I've shot have ran fine with every kind of ammo we had, including some Wolf steel cased stuff. As soon as someone (Magpul) comes out with a better stock, I'll probably grab one too. I just love PCC's that work.

I keep looking to see what aftermarket stuff is available, I know it will be slow to pick up steam but I would love to see a nicer magpul stock come out.

A “charger” version would be awesome too.

Reactions: Laufen

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I posted this a few weeks ago.
I love mine andI plan to get 2 more to have one in each vehicle. I’m using the Burris Fastfire 3.

I just completed a 1000 round test using various factory and reloads (115, 124, and 147 gn), all suppressed, without cleaning. I had one failure to feed at around the 700 round mark, which I believe was due to rearward pressure applied to the magazine while using a range bag as a rest.
Red dot used was Burris Fastfire 3.
Magazines used were Glock, KCI, Magpul, and ETS.
This carbine is just plain fun.
My wife really liked it as well.
I plan to use this as a dedicated truck gun.

5e3bbd672b5854bd2a58d3d1fe48af98.jpg

That’s good to hear. One of the reasons I want one is to have a easily packable long gun for when I go on long trips.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I don't see any attraction to a rifle/rifle length PCC. If I'm toting something around that big, I'm at least gonna use a caliber that packs a punch - not a measly pistol caliber.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Balthaz

Gone In 60 Seconds
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas Ga.
Zip code
I have one and so far 100% realible.
I have the take down model and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I don't see any attraction to a rifle/rifle length PCC. If I'm toting something around that big, I'm at least gonna use a caliber that packs a punch - not a measly pistol caliber.

I have three reasons:

1: my wife is recoil sensitive and refuses to shoot an AR (“looks intimidating”) so it will be a good long gun for HD for her.

2: take down so it’s easy to pack away for road trips and takes the same mags as my G19.

3: it costs a good bit less than any other reliable 9mm carbine

Reactions: dial1911 and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

1. Often I don't want to pack a punch, I just want to make a hole.
2. Lower recoil and less muzzle blast makes it more fun for new shooters, and suppresses more effectively for home defense or fun at the range.
3. 20 cents per trigger pull.
4. Oddball stuff without a serious function like killing bad guys at distance can still be super fun.
5. I'm shooting for fun more than shooting to kill.
6. I already own rifle caliber carbines.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
1. Often I don't want to pack a punch, I just want to make a hole.
2. Lower recoil and less muzzle blast makes it more fun for new shooters, and suppresses more effectively for home defense or fun at the range.
3. 20 cents per trigger pull.
4. Oddball stuff without a serious function like killing bad guys at distance can still be super fun.
5. I'm shooting for fun more than shooting to kill.
6. I already own rifle caliber carbines.

The novelty and especially if it will shoot cheap steel case will make it a fun gun for sure. Would also be fun for some of the IDPA style carbine matches. @chance have you seen anyone use a Ruger PC Carbine at a match yet?

Reactions: Laufen

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code

Then this isn’t for you. But some of us have spouses that are recoil sensitive. This fits the bill extremely well.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The novelty and especially if it will shoot cheap steel case will make it a fun gun for sure. Would also be fun for some of the IDPA style carbine matches. @chance have you seen anyone use a Ruger PC Carbine at a match yet?
I've been a huge fan of PCC's for a long time, and we are finally in their golden age. The recoil impulse is satisfying, they make big holes in paper, and they have enough energy to hunt small game or pigs if your heart desires.

**Most importantly, they look cool, and that's the most important factor when choosing a firearm.

Last edited:

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I havent seen one out yet. Lots of scorpions and mpxs.

I would have liked to see the PC with a nice wood stock and blueing. The tactical/traditional blend kind of irks me.
But 9mm PCCs are fun

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I would have liked to see the PC with a nice wood stock and blueing. The tactical/traditional blend kind of irks me.
But 9mm PCCs are fun
Maybe Marlin will bring back the camp 9.

Reactions: chance

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

But 9mm PCCs are fun

I wouldn’t be surprised if Boyd’s starts making stocks for them. They make them for almost everything else.