This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Welcome OHGunOwners Members! OHGunOwners has come together with Southeast Traders to build one awesome outdoor and gun trading community. More members, more content, more classifieds and more fun to be experienced. We've made the transition as seamless as possible, so you can use your existing login credentials. If you have any issues, email [email protected] and we will take care of it for you!
    Dismiss Notice

The woodworking thread...

Discussion in 'General Hobbies' started by Jake, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor
    Super Moderator Trusted Trader Site Supporter

I made a mallet. I have gotten the hang of sharpening my chisels and needed somethingto hit them with.
    C08696B5-B43C-4853-9248-A585AD46374E.jpeg

erkinator and dial1911 like this.
  2. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

Building my first furniture.
    Book shelves for my son and the baby that’s coming. If y’all dont use sketch-up for projects you should try it. Especially beginning out it’s worth learning to use because it makes designing easy and helped my identity a couple problems before I ever cut a piece of wood.

B834804C-B649-4F48-81F8-39A7940BD396.jpeg

georgia357 and dial1911 like this.
  3. georgia357

georgia357 Frontiersman
    Site Supporter

[QUOTE="AtlMedic, post: 329042, member: 124" If y’all dont use sketch-up for projects you should try it. Especially beginning out it’s worth learning to use because it makes designing easy and helped my identity a couple problems before I ever cut a piece of wood.
    [/QUOTE]

Seems like that will be a fantastic tool to use, thanks for the suggestion.

erkinator and AtlMedic like this.
  4. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

Seems like that will be a fantastic tool to use, thanks for the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

There are a few good tutorials on YouTube that are worth watching. I have to use the web based version but apparently if you can download the program tabs use various plug ins to where you can design something and automatically print off a cut list.

georgia357 likes this.
  5. Matt Ellerbee

Matt Ellerbee Tracker
    Site Supporter

Damn. That’s awesome!

AtlMedic likes this.
  6. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

Got them put together last night. Need to give them a good sanding and paint them this weekend. Luckily my wife will do the painting.
    8E349CDD-BBF5-4837-ACB7-59EC90C3ED09.jpeg

7. erkinator

erkinator AV Monkey
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

If possible before assembly and depending on finish, I try to prime or at least put one coat on before hand.If gluing, this can cause some slight issue but can save time. Since I use pocket jig by Kreg. I`m not always worried about glue.Nice job.

I still to this day have trouble building complex furniture. My mind works on the end of a framing carpenter more than a finish one.

8. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

The middle shelves are sitting on cleats so they come out really easy for sanding and painting. It’s screwed together, I wanted to cut some rabbets and dados but my wife wanted them done quickly so the screws are all counter sunk and I’m going to cover them with some wood filler before I sand and paint.

I have another piece I need to build soon and I’m goomg to pick up one of the Kreg pocket hole jigs for that. You really should give that sketch-up program a look. It makes things real easy to design and help get dimensions right.

9. Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell Purveyor of Polyurethane
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

I don't see much point in getting fancy with hiding fasteners on something that's just gonna get painted. Screws are quick and easy. Now if you start using good hardwood and stain, that's a different story.

10. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

I agree. I just wanted to do it that way to practice those techniques. That way any flaws would be covered with paint but I would still get some practice.

I have a board at home with a bunch of mortises chiseled out I’ve been practicing on and another board I’ve been practicing dovetail joints on.

georgia357 likes this.