The perfect ammo for suppressor use?

American Revival Apparel Company

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Seems like a good idea but only 12% less friction and only in the barrel doesnt seem significant to me... Also, "hot" primers that "burn more of the powder off" seems stone age to me. We could do that to a copper jacketed projectile now and get a cleaner burn for suppressor use. Also 'pinging' steel is fun, I wonder if you can hear the polymer striking steel as well. Seems like they MIGHT be on to something IF its significantly cheaper, but for some reason I doubt it.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Would 12% less friction mean the ability to engage the rifling is diminished by 12%?

Atomizing more of the lead doesn't necessarily sound like a benefit.

How much cleaner is it compared to a TMJ round like the Speer?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Would 12% less friction mean the ability to engage the rifling is diminished by 12%?

Atomizing more of the lead doesn't necessarily sound like a benefit.

How much cleaner is it compared to a TMJ round like the Speer?
I doubt it would engage the rifling less, maybe more if anything...it's more malleable.

I don't know how any more lead would be atomized...it's encased in plastic.

Dunno. The Winchester winclean stuff is pretty good though.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Well, now that's taking the safety orange tips on guns to a new place :)

Interesting what they claim in the article. Seems to be quite positive, so long as we're not going to be replacing lead and copper fouling with polymer fouling. One big problem I have with lacquer coated ammo (and possibly this stuff too) is that once you've shot a lot and the barrel is screaming hot, what happens to that round that's sitting in the chamber... it gets damn hot. Hot enough to make lacquer gummy. I hope that's not an issue with their coating.

@freedom I don't think 12% less friction would be related to less rifling engagement- I think the coating is just slicker and slides through the barrel slightly easier than lead or copper.

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I doubt it would engage the rifling less, maybe more if anything...it's more malleable.

I don't know how any more lead would be atomized...it's encased in plastic.

Dunno. The Winchester winclean stuff is pretty good though.

The article said they recovered 50% less fragments when shooting steel targets. I'm assuming what they didn't recover atomized when hitting the steel plate.

Well I reread it. I'm not sure now since it never states how much was recovered within 5 yards.

Last edited:

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Well, now that's taking the safety orange tips on guns to a new place :)

Interesting what they claim in the article. Seems to be quite positive, so long as we're not going to be replacing lead and copper fouling with polymer fouling. One big problem I have with lacquer coated ammo (and possibly this stuff too) is that once you've shot a lot and the barrel is screaming hot, what happens to that round that's sitting in the chamber... it gets damn hot. Hot enough to make lacquer gummy. I hope that's not an issue with their coating.

@freedom I don't think 12% less friction would be related to less rifling engagement- I think the coating is just slicker and slides through the barrel slightly easier than lead or copper.
very interesting point I didnt think of. wouldnt want it melting the coating sitting in the chamber

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The article said they recovered 50% less fragments when shooting steel targets. I'm assuming what they didn't recover atomized when hitting the steel plate.
I didnt get the point of that data. Never have I ever had a fragment of anything hit me from thousands and thousands of rounds of 22/380/9/40/45/223/556/762x39/308 in any indoor or outdoor range with any type of backstop, including steel plates outdoors within the 15 yards they referenced. Hell a lot closer than that at times with pistol ammo...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I didnt get the point of that data. Never have I ever had a fragment of anything hit me from thousands and thousands of rounds of 22/380/9/40/45/223/556/762x39/308 in any indoor or outdoor range with any type of backstop, including steel plates outdoors within the 15 yards they referenced. Hell a lot closer than that at times with pistol ammo...
I think he was more concerned with it being atomized and inhaled.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Interesting, I didnt catch that part in the read. Is that an actual issue? Ive never heard any concern over it before.
Yeah, its a bigger issue indoors though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Who shoots at steel indoors though? The study and data is all based on shooting steel targets specifically and not relevant to indoors bullet traps.
You can still get lead atomized indoors, but mainly from the base of the bullet being eroded by the primer.

Have you ever looked at the ceiling at your local range? lol

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
You can still get lead atomized indoors, but mainly from the base of the bullet being eroded by the primer.

Have you ever looked at the ceiling at your local range? lol
Sure, I assumed that was unburnt powder from short barrels, not so much atomization of the tiny bit of exposed projectile not coated in copper or whatever they are coated in these days.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

Really? I've had lead come back at me while shooting steel a bunch of times. Hell my dad sent a 230gr bullet right into my right testical last time we were racing on his steel dueling tree. Knocked me right on my ass in the fetal position.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Really? I've had lead come back at me while shooting steel a bunch of times. Hell my dad sent a 230gr bullet right into my right testical last time we were racing on his steel dueling tree. Knocked me right on my ass in the fetal position.
Really really. Ive heard horror stories but never experienced it. Hell just to stay consistent with the data presented, 9mm specifically, I have probably shot some 8-10K rounds from glocks and sbr ar9 and have never so much and seen or head a piece of anything fly back my way.

Btw, that sounds terrible lol... Did it not crush your testical? Or was it slowed enough by then to just hurt you. 45 is slow as molasses anyway, so im assuming the latter.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Really really. Ive heard horror stories but never experienced it. Hell just to stay consistent with the data presented, 9mm specifically, I have probably shot some 8-10K rounds from glocks and sbr ar9 and have never so much and seen or head a piece of anything fly back my way.

Btw, that sounds terrible lol... Did it not crush your testical? Or was it slowed enough by then to just hurt you. 45 is slow as molasses anyway, so im assuming the latter.
If you think your nuts care too much about speed, drop your drawers and flick one of your balls with your index finger. That's probably 100 fps.