The NRA called on the BATFE to review whether "bump stocks" comply with federal law

Faktory 47

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...mp-fire-stocks-comply-with-current-law-243500

I can see where most of you will likely take this. My thoughts probably differ from most of you though. This kind of shit is intentionally poking at federal laws for no reason other than a little extra fun or just to be a prick and show off to the industry that you found a loophole in the wording of a legal document. I have said it before over the years on this forum and elsewhere, and I will say it again now, I think that intentionally pushing buttons to the limits with an agency as ridiculous and illogical as the BATFE is a stupid game to play. Stupid games warrant stupid prizes.

Now I think that the NRA, being an entity that collects people's money as an aggregate force to combat gun restrictive legislation, specifically telling the government to revisit a gun law that is currently in the 2A's best interest, is interesting to say the least. Maybe it's an attempt to put the blame on the BATFE, being that even the NRA is now essentially saying, "Why would you let this be legal?!", and therefore keep the heat off of everything that isn't a stab at the BATFE? Seems reasonable, and maybe even a good idea. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
The NRA has a history of fucking over it's supporters/members and the entire 2a community. That being said, they are also the major voice for the 2a community. I cringe every time they send me a renewal packet for this exact reason.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Let's keep this from a name calling macho Man fest that that this has turned into in other places.

That said, no one can legitimately look at a slidefire and not wonder how it was given the stamp of approval from the ATF. Well, it was given due to technicalities within the letter of the law, and that is still somewhat of a goof. Certainly does not comply with the intent of the law. There is no separate deliberate action to send the next round downrange. Hold your finger still, and push forward slightly, and continuously.

I hate the ATF as much as the next man and have still given multiple paychecks over for NFA items. As much as we don't like them, we still must follow their rulings.

Reactions: Jake

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
The NRA has a history of fucking over it's supporters/members and the entire 2a community. That being said, they are also the major voice for the 2a community. I cringe every time they send me a renewal packet for this exact reason.

so you're cringing every other day after opening the mailbox right?

i have a five year membership and those motherfuckers act like my shit expires tomorrow.

also i don't want to join your shitty wine club mmmm k?

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code

i have a five year membership and those motherfuckers act like my shit expires tomorrow.

They are as bad as the red Cross.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

Preach it brother!

I've repeatedly told them to stop sending shit to me via the post office, email, etc. until my membership is up and it's time to renew. I don't give a fuck about your cheap ass goddamn range bag or hat that you'll send me if I donate $XX.XX. I already gave you my membership fees, if I wanted to donate more I would send you another fucking check. You have an online store with that shit in it if I really wanted it. And dear God don't get me started on the phone calls from their solicitors.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
@Leshaire , I understand your points and I think they are logical. By your logic, paying for a NFA stamp should be poking the bear as the original intent was to make those items so expensive most people couldn't afford it. In terms of today's money, the stamp should be $3658 and everytime someone pays the $200 tax it could be interpreted as an affront to the "intent of the law." The NRA encouraging them to take a look at the laws opens the doors for a complete re-interpretation...what if they find out that any swinging dick can bump fire a semi-auto without the slide fire stock?...perhaps then a re-interpretation of the legality of semi auto firearms all together...perhaps an adjustment to the tax stamp price...or perhaps an adjustment to the interpretation of the '34 and '86 acts to include far more items. I don't disagree that there is a time to let things be without stirring the pot, but when the main support for defending 2A rights opens the gate of re-interpretation...the flood may be overwhelming and unsurmountable.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Let's keep this from a name calling macho Man fest that that this has turned into in other places.

That said, no one can legitimately look at a slidefire and not wonder how it was given the stamp of approval from the ATF. Well, it was given due to technicalities within the letter of the law, and that is still somewhat of a goof. Certainly does not comply with the intent of the law. There is no separate deliberate action to send the next round downrange. Hold your finger still, and push forward slightly, and continuously.

I hate the ATF as much as the next man and have still given multiple paychecks over for NFA items. As much as we don't like them, we still must follow their rulings.
That is most of my point. Whoever made that thing very clearly wanted to get around the law. Now everyone is crying that they might ban it... I don't quite follow.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
@Leshaire , I understand your points and I think they are logical. By your logic, paying for a NFA stamp should be poking the bear as the original intent was to make those items so expensive most people couldn't afford it. In terms of today's money, the stamp should be $3658 and everytime someone pays the $200 tax it could be interpreted as an affront to the "intent of the law." The NRA encouraging them to take a look at the laws opens the doors for a complete re-interpretation...what if they find out that any swinging dick can bump fire a semi-auto without the slide fire stock?...perhaps then a re-interpretation of the legality of semi auto firearms all together...perhaps an adjustment to the tax stamp price...or perhaps an adjustment to the interpretation of the '34 and '86 acts to include far more items. I don't disagree that there is a time to let things be without stirring the pot, but when the main support for defending 2A rights opens the gate of re-interpretation...the flood may be overwhelming and unsurmountable.
I honestly didn't know that tidbit about the stamps. With that, I completely agree, and had no idea that I too, had poked the bear five times now... I thought it was just a money maker for them.

While you have a good point about them reinterpreting more of the law, I doubt that will happen because of this incident. I'm not saying I doubt it ever will, but sticking your thumb through your belt loop and firing a semi 'faster' from the hip, with no effort aiming, and having one hand tied up while trying to reload is not going to kill 59 people in a few mins...

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The slide fire stock in NO WAY modifies a firearm to discharge more than 1 round at a time with each trigger pull!! What is illegal about that. It makes bump firing a weapon easier. Before, people were using a belt loop, pant pocket or other way to bump fire so why is this any different. Watch IV8888 shoot an MPA in 5.7 using a bump board. Same principal. Keep it up and they will talk about banning semi-automatic rifles like the AK and AR because they can be converted to bump fire so easily. Not only that, they will revisit the magazine capacity issue as well.

Many intelligent people have said it before, it is not the gun, bullet, rocket launcher, bomb, knife, baseball bat, lead pipe, car etc. that kill people, it is the wielder of the device that does!!!!!

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
My position is that when the "intent of the law" was to violate the constitution by preying on the overreaction of the public in response to organized crime, it doesn't really bother me to find legal ways around it. The fact is, we as 2nd amendment supporters should be calling for a repeal of NFA, not calling for the ban of items that don't violate its letter but its unconstitutional "spirit". The second amendment was designed so the public would have the same small arms the military infantry would have so that the public would have a fighting chance if the government became tyrannical. Focusing on criminals misusing these arms (or their potential to) is to completely miss the whole point of the 2nd amendment.

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
The more I've thought about it the more I'm convinced I'm absolutely done with the NRA until there is a complete leadership change.

They know that slide fire stocks don't meet the criteria of a machine gun as defined by federal law. What they are doing here is encouraging an unelected branch of the government to redefine laws written by Congress. That's the exact opposite of what their job is. They have one fucking job, just one, and they completely blew it.

Reactions: karlvv and Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I’m with @~ZENAS~ . The NFA never should’ve happened. He hit the nail on the head. The whole purpose of the 2A Is to ensure the citizens of the United States have the power to keep the government from becoming too powerful. The right to bear arms was meant for us to have access to the same small arms as the government. If you keep giving up more items to restrictions they will eventually have us down to Muzzleloaders. At that point, how effective do you think the second amendment will be at its original job? The job that our forefathers wrote it into being SPECIFICALLY for....

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
You have to look at what was happening in 1985-86 as to why NFA passed.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
The more I've thought about it the more I'm convinced I'm absolutely done with the NRA until there is a complete leadership change.

They know that slide fire stocks don't meet the criteria of a machine gun as defined by federal law. What they are doing here is encouraging an unelected branch of the government to redefine laws written by Congress. That's the exact opposite of what their job is. They have one fucking job, just one, and they completely blew it.
Maybe they’re encouraging the ATF to do exactly what you suggest but with the intention of having President Trump write some EO changing the ability of the ATF to interpret things.

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Maybe they’re encouraging the ATF to do exactly what you suggest but with the intention of having President Trump write some EO changing the ability of the ATF to interpret things.
Maybe we're just really reaching now for reasons to believe the NRA didn't sell out.

Reactions: Kobayashi