Faktory 47

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Chris Timmerman submitted a new blog post

The AR15 Pistol...Why?

ar15-pistol-150x150.jpg

Before diving into the meat of my post, I first want to ensure everyone fully understands why an AR15 pistol is just that…..a pistol. While utilizing the exact same receiver and action as the AR15 rifle the BATFE recognizes that due to its short barrel, lack of butt stock, and having no vertical fore grip the AR15 pistols are “designed to be fired with one hand”. It is essentially no different than the Ruger 10/22 carbine vs. the Ruger Charger pistol. It just has a lot more punch!
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

D

David

Great article Chris, you touch on a lot of good points for an AR15 pistol. I'm just wondering how does one know its a pistol, vs an actual rifle?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
David,

To keep things relatively simple:

<16" barrel + buttstock =SBR

<16" barrel, no buttstock, no VFG=pistol

<16" barrel, no buttstock, +VFG=AOW.

"No buttstock" generally means a pistol buffer tube which cannot accept a rifle stock.

Receivers are now their own item on the 4473, whereas in the past you had to ensure the receiver was transfered as a pistol.

If your receiver started life as a rifle it can never be converted into a pistol.

If that didn't answer your question just let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Machi

Hunter
Mar 28, 2016
Awesome article Chris! I'm about to write my first article so I see you have set the bar pretty high!

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
There are quite a few manufacturers of AR pistols, AK pistols, etc. Rock River, Bushmaster, Anderson, Sig, Daniel Defense are a few. While you may not see them in stock in a gun shop, you'll find them if you do some web browsing. I built mine for cost purposes and customization reasons.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
[QUOTE="]

[/QUOTE]VFG is Vertical Fore Grip. Adding one to an AR pistol turns it into an AOW (Any Other Weapon) which is controlled by NFA regulations like an SBR. The ATF has determined a Magpul Angled Fore Grip DOES NOT turn an AR pistol into an AOW.

Shotgunner

Hunter
Jun 27, 2016
A gunshop told me if I get an SBR I can keep it loaded in my truck because the tax stamp overrides everything else. How can I find out if this is true? I would like to make an SBS but if I cannot have it loaded I will go with the AR pistol instead.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
[QUOTE="Shotgunner]A gunshop told me if I get an SBR I can keep it loaded in my truck because the tax stamp overrides everything else. How can I find out if this is true? I would like to make an SBS but if I cannot have it loaded I will go with the AR pistol instead.

[/QUOTE]
That is not true. Federal and State regulations are different and having paid a $200 tax to the feds to allow you to have a short barreled rifle does not negate state law that prohibits loaded long guns in vehicles. The only way to have a loaded AR in your car is if it is in pistol configuration.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
@T\.L\.Jones hit it right on the head. Tax stamp is to allow possession. It doesn't supersede state law on transportation of a weapon.