Recipe Stewed Pork... or pan fried afterwards to make Carnitas

Howard Law

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I've stumbled upon a good recipe for Carnitas.... and simplified it a little. The stewed pork is great, and even better if you pan fry it to make real Carnitas after it's out of the crock pot.

Start with around a five to eight pound pork shoulder (Boston Butt). Slice it up into 2" thick pieces.

Get out the crock pot and set it to cook on low heat for about eight hours. Pour in about two cups of chicken broth. Add a couple tablespoons of minced garlic (I use the stuff in a jar because I hate chopping up garlic by hand). Stir in two tablespoons of powdered cumin and two tablespoons of powdered oregano. I wait to add the salt and black pepper until after it's cooked- sometimes the chicken broth is really salty.

Add in the zest and juice of two oranges and one lime. The zest is important- it adds a lot of flavor.

Mix the pieces of pork into the crock pot making sure to coat all sides in the broth liquid.

Let it cook... once it's done, remove the meat and shred. Keep the cooking liquid- but skim off the fat.

You can eat the shreaded pork in tacos and it's great... but put some in a pan with a splash of cooking liquid and heat until the edges are crispy and it's amazing.

I like to grill green bell pepper and onion to a nice char and add that to the tacos- with or without the grilled veggies, it makes a great taco with some green tomatillo salsa.

Reactions: Laufen

permaneo vox

Powered by Silencer Shop
Trusted Trader
Sep 21, 2015
Heart of Georgia
Zip code
I haven't found anywhere that serves tacos de chivo. Last place was at the state Farmer's market in Forest Park.

I miss those....

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Jeezuz man, use fresh garlic! Peel, smash, into the pan. Way better than the stuff in jars.

Reactions: sam and dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Jeezuz man, use fresh garlic! Peel, smash, into the pan. Way better than the stuff in jars.

I agree on the surface, but I've had too much inconsistency using fresh garlic... one clove will be super garlic, to the point it burns your mouth a little, and another clove might be super mild.

I use bottled lemon and lime juice for the same reason- there's too much variation using fresh fruit. Depends on the season, how long the fruit (or garlic) sat around in the store, etc.

Reactions: sam

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
The tough part for me is do I want brownies from pizza hut or molten lava cakes from dominoes!

I've got a brownie recipe around here somewhere... we've been lazy and started buying the boxed mix. Good for my eight year old to cook, but before I was trying to teach her how to do it from flour and eggs... no boxed stuff.

Reactions: sam

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I've got a brownie recipe around here somewhere... we've been lazy and started buying the boxed mix. Good for my eight year old to cook, but before I was trying to teach her how to do it from flour and eggs... no boxed stuff.
Boxed is pushing my laziness. Typically when its late and im drinking I want pizza and brownies in my mouth asap. No time to exert energy and "Cook" anything lol

Reactions: dial1911

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'd start with something easy like pancakes... I can tell you how, but it will probably take me 10 posts ;)
lmfao i noticed you must have bumped like 100 old ass threads last night with all those posts!

Jokes on you though, youre only 19 posts away from a giveaway LOL

Reactions: sam and dial1911