• *IMPORTANT NOTICE* Obey all Federal, State and Local Laws when buying, selling or trading firearms. This includes utilizing an FFL to transfer firearms legally across state lines.If you have any questions, consult https://www.atf.gov/.

GA Star BKM

georgia357

Tracker
Jul 28, 2015
Lexington, Ga
Zip code
Lightweight alloy version of the Star BM pistol, Excellent shooting pistol with 4 magazines. Pistol has a sweet trigger and fun to shoot. Can meet someplace agreeable to both..

Item Name: FS/FT Star BKM

Zip Code: 30648

Item is for: Sale

Sale Price: 375 OBO

2.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpgCaliber: 9mm

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Reactions: Grunk and Leshaire

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I can't believe this & the .22 Luger are still here. And in my neck of the woods. One for carry & one for coolness. Man, I wish I had some $. Somebody buy these.

I.D.-ten-T

Funnier on the Internet than in real life
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
I've owned a Star BM before and it was a great pistol (not the alloy version though).
I've got 2 in the safe right now. They're GREAT little pistols, I carried one for years. LOVE them.
They may LOOK like a 1911, but they're better in many ways - for instance, NOT as wide in the frame and slide, and not as bulky and heavy.
Just don't dry-fire them without a snap-cap. If you buy this and need a snap-cap, I'll send you one.

georgia357

Tracker
Jul 28, 2015
Lexington, Ga
Zip code
I've got 2 in the safe right now. They're GREAT little pistols, I carried one for years. LOVE them.
They may LOOK like a 1911, but they're better in many ways - for instance, NOT as wide in the frame and slide, and not as bulky and heavy.
Just don't dry-fire them without a snap-cap. If you buy this and need a snap-cap, I'll send you one.
Yes they are, seems like they would make a perfect carry pistol. According to everything I've read, you are 100% correct about dry firing them.

Reactions: I.D.-ten-T

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Yes they are, seems like they would make a perfect carry pistol. According to everything I've read, you are 100% correct about dry firing them.
Yeah, I know a bit about Star pistols - I've owned 30+ of them over the years. Probably have at least a dozen right now. I used to piss off the IDPA RSO's (and I was one too) by using them during matches. They require each competitor to unload and show clear, then drop hammer on empty chamber.
Since the BKS and BKM I carried had mag safeties (but they are removable), I couldn't drop hammer - even if I wanted to, which I didn't.
They hated the deviation from the routine.

Reactions: georgia357

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Lightweight alloy version of the Star BM pistol, Excellent shooting pistol with 4 magazines. Pistol has a sweet trigger and fun to shoot. Can meet someplace agreeable to both..

Item Name: FS/FT Star BKM

Zip Code: 30648

Item is for: Sale

Sale Price: 375 OBO

View attachment 54400View attachment 54400View attachment 54401View attachment 54402Caliber: 9mm

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No
By the way, I looked up your BKM. It was produced in 1981, part of a batch of 2,250 made for retail distribution in USA. Only 28,595 BKM pistols were produced overall, some of which went to Spanish plainclothes policemen instead of the more common BM model normally issued at that time.
Production began in 1972 and ended in 1989. Your 4 mags are also interchangeable with the earlier BKS model, which is the same frame size, but not the larger B or Super B models. The mags are correct to the BM/BKM guns because of the enclosed follower which keeps the tip of the spring from potentially popping out, or the tail of the slide stop from getting hung up.
While not rare, these are scarce guns, getting scarcer. Yours appears to be a nice example with honest and slight wear, from a production period that likely gave the best group of guns since they'd had plenty of time to work out the kinks, but weren't near the end of production when things sometimes get sloppy.
I'd buy it if I didn't have 2 already.

georgia357

Tracker
Jul 28, 2015
Lexington, Ga
Zip code
By the way, I looked up your BKM. It was produced in 1981, part of a batch of 2,250 made for retail distribution in USA. Only 28,595 BKM pistols were produced overall, some of which went to Spanish plainclothes policemen instead of the more common BM model normally issued at that time.
Production began in 1972 and ended in 1989. Your 4 mags are also interchangeable with the earlier BKS model, which is the same frame size, but not the larger B or Super B models. The mags are correct to the BM/BKM guns because of the enclosed follower which keeps the tip of the spring from potentially popping out, or the tail of the slide stop from getting hung up.
While not rare, these are scarce guns, getting scarcer. Yours appears to be a nice example with honest and slight wear, from a production period that likely gave the best group of guns since they'd had plenty of time to work out the kinks, but weren't near the end of production when things sometimes get sloppy.
I'd buy it if I didn't have 2 already.
Thanks for the information, didn't know all that.

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Thanks for the information, didn't know all that.
I've got a nice little book called "Star Pistols" by Leonardo M Antaris.
I'm kidding when I say 'little', it's about the same size and weight as a full ream of copy paper, and cost $150 when I bought it 10+ years ago direct from the author.
It's got a wealth of info about the company and all of their offerings from the beginning up to the end in 1997. Truly, other gun books should be compared to Dr. Antaris' most famous work - it is quite comprehensive, with detailed drawings, production numbers, lots of excellent photos, and nice historical data.
Much better than the Walther, S&W, Colt, and Luger books I've got.
I also have the Astra book, but it was done before the Star book, and before Astra bit the dust, so I consider it incomplete.

9F2D63AD-931D-4631-A192-EE7CFA9229C2.jpeg

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Quite the book collection. Seems like you also like the Lugers and P38's.
Thanks.
I'm not really much on Lugers or P38s, but the books written on them are just not very good, so if you want to know a lot about them you'd need several more than I have. I got these from the estate of a friend who had many, many more books on pistols than I do even now. Someday I'll either read them or move them along, but they can be great reference material.
I only collected Aluminum framed 9mm pistols and 9mm revolvers, so Lugers didn't exactly fit my collection - or my budget.
I do have a P-38 derivative in my collection, but that's a story for another thread.

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Damn.
Nobody’s bought this yet????

I.D.-ten-T

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Now here
Zip code
Not even a nibble. I think most on here are into the big name guns. :(
Well, they're missing out. Most people don't know how good these Star pistols were - I consider the Super B to have been the epitome of the 1911 design continuum, unlike these rehashes of the same like Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc.
JMB didn't want to have the stupid grip safety, but when the US Army pistols trials in 1909 saw the Luger with one, they insisted (against Browning's advise) that it be included on all future competing designs. The Savage pistol very nearly beat the Colt, I can't recall what made the difference (the Savage I think was a striker-fired design).
So all of the people who think the 1911 is the best pistol ever are looking at only a very narrow field. Same for Glocks. There's other guns out there that will do the job just as well, maybe even better for each individual. We just have to open our eyes to other possibilities.

Oh - and what killed off Star and Astra wasn't poor products. Those companies were well known for being able to produce quality that rivals the best in the industry. The importers like Stoeger and Interarms kept telling Star and Astra to cheapen the products they were importing here in order to make prices lower - not the other way around.
And they were selling a crap-ton of guns, things were going well until a down-turn in Spain caused the banks to call in loans that Star and Astra had, and they couldn't come up with the money fast enough. Llama went the same way a few years later, they only survived that long because they sold off most of their stock to Bersa. So Politics and Banks killed the Spanish gun manufacturers, not a lack of quality.

Last edited:

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Well, they're missing out. Most people don't know how good these Star pistols were - I consider the Super B to have been the epitome of the 1911 design continuum, unlike these rehashes of the same like Kimber, Springfield Armory, etc.
JMB didn't want to have the stupid grip safety, but when the US Army pistols trials in 1909 saw the Luger with one, they insisted (against Browning's advise) that it be included on all future competing designs. The Savage pistol very nearly beat the Colt, I can't recall what made the difference (the Savage I think was a striker-fired design).
So all of the people who think the 1911 is the best pistol ever are looking at only a very narrow field. Same for Glocks. There's other guns out there that will do the job just as well, maybe even better for each individual. We just have to open our eyes to other possibilities.

Oh - and what killed off Star and Astra wasn't poor products. Those companies were well known for being able to produce quality that rivals the best in the industry. The importers like Stoeger and Interarms kept telling Star and Astra to cheapen the products they were importing here in order to make prices lower - not the other way around.
And they were selling a crap-ton of guns, things were going well until a down-turn in Spain caused the banks to call in loans that Star and Astra had, and they couldn't come up with the money fast enough. Llama went the same way a few years later, they only survived that long because they sold off most of their stock to Bersa. So Politics and Banks killed the Spanish gun manufacturers, not a lack of quality.
Not even a nibble. I think most on here are into the big name guns. :(
I'd love it. I'm just broke. :pout:

georgia357

Tracker
Jul 28, 2015
Lexington, Ga
Zip code

Thanks for the information, didn't know any of that.