This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Sitka...worth a darn?

Discussion in 'Hunting Talk' started by Laufen, Aug 8, 2018.

1. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor
    Super Moderator Trusted Trader Site Supporter

I’m not trying to be an ass. But I’m genuinely curious what makes those pants worth the money?

I have old BDU pants that are really comfortable and hold up fine and cost $15. Educate me on the benefits of expensive hunting pants.

2. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

I’m not trying to be an ass. But I’m genuinely curious what makes those pants worth the money?

I have old BDU pants that are really comfortable and hold up fine and cost $15. Educate me on the benefits of expensive hunting pants.

3. Laufen

Laufen Badass
    Trusted Trader

I hunt in some old bdu's too, but they fall on their face compared to the newer stuff, and I'm talking 8 yr old stuff I'm replacing. The new clothing is lightyears ahead of that.
    They will allow you to be comfortable in a wider variety of conditions by using body mapping/heat mapping and higher tech materials. If you've ever been a runner that has run in the cold and heat you'd immediately be able to chime in on the huge advantage that high tech fabrics provide. Moisture wicking, proper distribution of insulation, an enhanced ability to keep you cool when it's hot and warm when it's cool. Better fit/cut: The pants fit to the human form more comfortably and use fabrics that will stretch and give when climbing, crouching, etc without giving up durability. More convenient pocket location and better storage options. Quieter fabrics if you are stalking. Fabrics with built in odor reducing properties. Built in (and removable) knee pads.

Also, the new stuff is designed for the task at hand. There are clothes specifically for stalking, marsh hunting, stand sitting, bow hunting, hunting mountains, hunting grasslands, etc. The idea is to make sure that you are comfortable so you can go harder or simply enjoy your time outdoors more.

Some people might say it's unnecessary, and it is. It's possible to hunt in thrift store clothes that don't fit. It's possible to hunt every critter on the continent using only a 12 ga shotgun too, it's just not ideal.

#23 Laufen, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. Huddy

Huddy Tracker

Not sure that's 100% accurate... Like saying heavy drinking is tough on my liver, but it makes it better.

erkinator likes this.
  5. Huddy

Huddy Tracker

Tbh, I wore cheap as shit gear up until a friend who hikes a couple hundred miles at a time told me to buy some smart wool socks. The difference that something like a $30 sock can make was astounding. That began my openness to high quality gear. Some things have disappointed, some have been great. I can't blame my father for not dropping mad money on gear for me as a kid...I grew in crazy spurts and the longest I would have worn any piece would have been one season. He hated buying me shoes...usually twice a year bc my feet didn't stop growing till I hit a 14.

Laufen likes this.
  6. Laufen

Laufen Badass
    Trusted Trader

It's amazing how much difference it makes. It'll take you from constantly thinking about you're feet and the level of discomfort your feeling to not thinking about them at all, and that's kinda the goal.

7. AtlMedic

AtlMedic Not A Doctor

Fair points. Admittedly I’m not much of a hunter and the few times a year I go the temperature is comfortable (like between 45 and 55 degrees typically).

I’m a fan of quality, boots for instance I refuse to go cheap on. I just have to justify where to spend the money. For me high end pants aren’t worth it in my situation but for others it totally makes sense.

8. erkinator

erkinator AV Monkey
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

got 2 full sets, one new and one used for 80 total.was a deal.

Laufen likes this.
  9. the_great_white

the_great_white Marksman

don't feel bad, i paid $$$$ for some FirstLite gear......merino aint cheap but damn it's comfortable!

Laufen likes this.
  10. FatAlbert

FatAlbert Sniper
    Trusted Trader

Good boots are a must. No argument there, good insulated boots are nice for those 2 or 3 weekends it actually gets below 30° in GA.