Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

StateFarmJake

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
What type of ammo in weight/style should I be using for my EDC self defense carry weapon? Right now I've got 6 HP's followed with 6FMJs loaded in my gun but I am really curious to see what type of ammo everyone else is using, and if they mix it together like that.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Full magazine of defensive ammunition, I haven't carried my G22 in some time but I always used 180gr Hydra-Shok or Hornaday 180gr JHP, out of curiosity why the fmj follow ups in your magazine? Not criticizing you or anything just curious

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
For my 9mm carry guns I use 135gr Hornaday Critical Duty, I like the expansion and the improvement in 9mm ammunition is what took me away from .40 and .45acp after all these years and back to 9mm but caliber is a personal preference for sure

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my Glock 23.

[/QUOTE]
Same here.

Ohiobellboy

Frontiersman
Feb 1, 2016
[QUOTE="Dirtbike]For my 9mm carry guns I use 135gr Hornaday Critical Duty, I like the expansion and the improvement in 9mm ammunition is what took me away from .40 and .45acp after all these years and back to 9mm but caliber is a personal preference for sure

[/QUOTE]
I picked up my G23 VERY SLIGHTLY used for a bargain is why I have a .40. I actually toss in a LW 9mm barrel for trips to the range along with 4 G19 mags I've picked up.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Also curious of why the mix of HP and FMJ ammo...?

If you have a chance take a look at the link in my article (Why I carry 9mm...) I have a link to the ballistics study done by Luckygunner.com in that article that you might find interesting.

Dirtbike

Feb 3, 2016
[QUOTE="Victor Silva]Can I use range ammo for carry ammo

[/QUOTE]
I suppose you could but why? fmj ammunition has the very real potential of going thru your target and on to whatever might be behind it, personally a box of defensive ammo in my mind is more than worth the 20 ish dollars spent

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
You can find Hollow points or other defensive ammo on sale for good prices and that's when you should start to stock up. When you go to the range just bring a box of your defensive ammo along with your FMJ ammo. It's always good to fire off what you intend to use as your defensive ammo just to make sure your weapon "likes" that ammo.

But, as Dirtbike said, to dangerous to use FMJ ammo as defensive ammo. Just look for the sales and start adding to you defensive stockpile :)

Good Luck