American Revival Apparel Company

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
SW-letter_featured-670x446.jpg

Much like Agency Arms and Head Down, etc. do to a Glock, adding serrations, edges, stippling, etc. to enhance the pistol, Smith and Wesson is having none of it. In fact they recently sent a cease and desist letter instructing a gunsmith to stop customize the M&P as it was both infringing upon the design and trademark as well as safety concerns.

Personally I believe this is a bad move on S&W part and makes them look like a jealous ex-girlfriend.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

Reactions: Thenut

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
SW-letter_featured-670x446.jpg

Much like Agency Arms and Head Down, etc. do to a Glock, adding serrations, edges, stippling, etc. to enhance the pistol, Smith and Wesson is having none of it. In fact they recently sent a cease and desist letter instructing a gunsmith to stop customize the M&P as it was both infringing upon the design and trademark as well as safety concerns.

Personally I believe this is a bad move on S&W part and makes them look like a jealous ex-girlfriend.

http://www.recoilweb.com/sw-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-custom-gunsmiths-80507.html

I'm actually on S&W's side on this one. Gun companies are getting sued over anything these days. I feel like if one of these firearms explode due to poor modification of the firearm... or if the mod causes lose of life in a self defense situation, the "victims" will quick to blame the firearm and not the mod itself.

Reactions: scand

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I put night sights on my 9c last night. Are they going to come after me now for customization?

Ah I will be alright.

Maybe they just did this so that if there are any failures to a "customized" gun they can bail on the blame. Seems legit

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I'm actually on S&W's side on this one. Gun companies are getting sued over anything these days. I feel like if one of these firearms explode due to poor modification of the firearm... or if the mod causes lose of life in a self defense situation, the "victims" will quick to blame the firearm and not the mod itself.
How?

If anything it is Brownell's to blame. They are the ones selling the gun as a "Smith & Wesson custom whatever". The other guys just cut and cerakote pieces of a tool that belongs to someone else...

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I put night sights on my 9c last night. Are they going to come after me now for customization?

Ah I will be alright.

Maybe they just did this so that if there are any failures to a "customized" gun they can bail on the blame. Seems legit
Yeah because Brownells is selling it and S&W doesnt want that crap sold as a new S&W gun, considering its not...

Reactions: Cudruln

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

Well I hope you've never so much as changed out sights on a gun since that is a "mod".

Bad move by S&W

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Well I hope you've never so much as changed out sights on a gun since that is a "mod".

Bad move by S&W

Hacking up on the slide is way different than switching out the sights. That's like saying your warranty is invalid because you changed the tires on your car.

But they are making a hard top a convertible...

Reactions: scand

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Hacking up on the slide is way different than switching out the sights. That's like saying your warranty is invalid because you changed the tires on your car.

But they are making a hard top a convertible...

Not really...tires are a wear item. Standard sights aren't....

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia

This just in: Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, & Jeep just sent cease & desist letters to all suv and truck owners who lifted their vehicle and added custom tires and wheels.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
This just in: Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, & Jeep just sent cease & desist letters to all suv and truck owners who lifted their vehicle and added custom tires and wheels.
interesting joke because of places that lift new Jeeps and add massive counterweights for wheels then sell them as new

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Agreed 100%.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This just in: Gun companies are routinely the targets of lawsuits where their products are 100% free of defects. Car companies enjoy the blanket of broader public acceptance.