Round count.

How much ammo do you like to keep stored?

• 100rds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 500rds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000rds

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 3000rds

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 5000+ rds

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Too much to count

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Laufen

Ammosexual
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This year is an ammo year
Yeah, ammo is so cheap it has to be.

Here's my philosophy. Take a gander back in time at previous ammo shortages and how long they've lasted. The potential coming scare in Dec 2020 could overshadow anything we've seen. How much ammo do you shoot per cartridge/yr. Take that times 2 (approximate length of time it's taken to get from empty shelves to an ammo glut) and then multiply that by the number of years you anticipate living. Ammo is as cheap as it'll ever be. Take up fasting if you must. Introduce your kids to the Salvation Army and Ramen. Just keep buying ammo.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen SS Fuddmander
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Yeah, ammo is so cheap it has to be.

Here's my philosophy. Take a gander back in time at previous ammo shortages and how long they've lasted. The potential coming scare in Dec 2020 could overshadow anything we've seen. How much ammo do you shoot per cartridge/yr. Take that times 2 (approximate length of time it's taken to get from empty shelves to an ammo glut) and then multiply that by the number of years you anticipate living. Ammo is as cheap as it'll ever be. Take up fasting if you must. Introduce your kids to the Salvation Army and Ramen. Just keep buying ammo.
Well if how much I currently shoot is the measure then I have enough....so I've got a couple problems lol

Laufen

Ammosexual
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've been getting to the range for carbine and pistol training with a good friend who is former 5th Group SF, and we usually go through 4-600 rounds of 5.56 and 500 rounds of 9mm per session. Long range precision and rimfire practice is usually closer to 80 rounds of centerfire and 200 rounds of rimfire. I'm usually able to get out twice a month. The math drives my ammo purchasing, but I need to step it up.

Dry fire practice at home is a good way to stay in "shape" without tearing down the walls of the ammo fort.

Mr. Goodbar

Savage Hooligan
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
I try to look at both ammo cost + sales tax + shipping. Prime membership at TSUSA pays for itself after 4 cases or so. Then it pays enough to offset the tax.
And if you split the membership cost with someone then it's even better

Reactions: Jeddak

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Bought my last two cases - 5.45 and 7.62x39 from these folks. Higher cpr but free shipping + no tax.

I think it's a side business/offshoot from SGAmmo test marketing the appeal of "free shipping". Once they reach the threshold I'm sure they will start charging tax like everyone else...

I need to check out the deal that @Jeddak posted.

Reactions: Laufen and Jeddak

Jeddak

Sniper
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Carrollton

$4.20 a box regular price, $3.19 with TSUSA Prime membership. Prime gives you free shipping on ANY number of boxes.
I just ordered 10 boxes to try, and if it works in my CETME L and ARs, will get a few cases.

With Prime my cost was $41.35 for 200 rds, shipped and taxed.

Jeddak

Sniper
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Carrollton
Bought my last two cases - 5.45 and 7.62x39 from these folks. Higher cpr but free shipping + no tax.

I think it's a side business/offshoot from SGAmmo test marketing the appeal of "free shipping". Once they reach the threshold I'm sure they will start charging tax like everyone else...

I need to check out the deal that @Jeddak posted.
They have Barnaul 5.56 FMJ for $195 a case, but it is not a a boat tail bullet.... I might order a few boxes of that ammo from TSUSA and compare them with FMJ BT.
My Cetme L dents every case pretty badly on the side of the ejection port, so reloading is not an option. PTR32 has no problems with steel cased ammo, so Cetme should not either.

Reactions: Laufen and Hayata