Question about the cost of restringing my Hoyt Compound bow

Oct 20, 2017
San Jose
Zip code
I have a Hoyt compound bow. I really like it but haven't used it much in the last two years. Mostly because we were renovating to sell and then we moved, and so on. There is an archery event coming up in my area and I was going to dust it off and get some practice in. It has been stored in it's case the whole time and not subjected to extremes of temperature that I am aware of. When I took it out, the bow string was broken. It just seemed kind of frazzled and broke where the trigger attaches.
Not too many archery places around here so I called an archery store in the nearest city. They seemed to have a good rating so I asked how much to restring my bow. They said they made the strings in their store. They would install the string, centre it (??), test/check the pulleys and test shoot it. The cost would be $180. Does this sound right? I don't have the equipment or the expertise to do it myself but I want to know if this is close to the going rate. I haven't had to replace the bow string before so I have no idea what a fair rate is. I am in BC if that makes any difference. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
That is a little on the high side. I did a quick Google search and found this information.

https://shootingmystery.com/much-cost-restring-bow/

The biggest cost will be the string. You should not have to replace the cables unless there is an issue with them as most cables are coated stranded wire. I had a very old compound now and the cables had toggles that went through the loops on the string and I don't think that design has changed very much.

It may be that this shop is cost effective based on how far you have to drive to get to another. Definately shop around.