PSA sale build for a first-time AR owner ... thoughts?

GA Firing Line

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
after going around and around with many ar’s in various calibers and configurations - i came back around to a plastic furniture/fsb/backup rear sight with a quality red dot in 5.56 (it’s a bravo company 16” factory upper) as my go-to.

i found that i like: reliability, simplicity, ease of shooting under 200 yards, and light-weight.

this weapon system is meant to be such (in my opinion) and it’s more enjoyable to shoot this way. it does not excel at cqb or long-range precision shooting but it maximizes the function of the platform (i hate that term but oh well) at distances for which the ar was purpose-built.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
after going around and around with many ar’s in various calibers and configurations - i came back around to a plastic furniture/fsb/backup rear sight with a quality red dot in 5.56 (it’s a bravo company 16” factory upper) as my go-to.

i found that i like: reliability, simplicity, ease of shooting under 200 yards, and light-weight.

this weapon system is meant to be such (in my opinion) and it’s more enjoyable to shoot this way. it does not excel at cqb or long-range precision shooting but it maximizes the function of the platform (i hate that term but oh well) at distances for which the ar was purpose-built.
I've never built an AR for CQB, I've been too cheap to pay the man an extra $200 for a SBR stamp, but I do have a standard length AR with an Eotech dot, streamlight TLR2 light/lazzzer beam and a vertical forward grip if I get a hankering to go all tacti-cool and stuff ;)

I think my favorite ARs are my 300 BO (since I can slap a can on it) and the X39, because it's just fun to shoot cheap. The .22 conversion AR is runner up as it's also fun to shoot with a can.

If I had more time and a range close to me that offered more than 100 yds, I could see getting serious on a good optic and barrel for LR work, but not in the cards right now .... unfortunately