PSA sale build for a first-time AR owner ... thoughts?

American Revival Apparel Company

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
As mentioned in another thread, I have a buddy who has been wanting to get into ARs, I figured the PSA 4th of July sales would be a good way to get him started.

Since he was just looking for a basic AR as a range plinker (shoulder use @ 15-100 yds, no LR accuracy needed, no helo-dropping into hot LZ's, etc) & it would be his entry into ARs, I figured the Freedom upper would be okay ... Yeah, I know it's not the CHF barrel and it's carbine rather than mid-length, but I thought that extra money would be better spent on a decent red dot and some mags to get him started.

He was partial to the FDE furniture, so here is what we built and ordered:

Lower: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...edition-flat-dark-earth-no-magazine-8857.html - (Magpul MOE EPT Edition - Flat Dark Earth, $169.99 + free shipping)

Upper: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...m-upper-with-bcg-ch-rear-mbus-5165448512.html - (PSA 16" M4 Carbine Length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride MOE FDE Freedom Upper With BCG, CH, & Rear MBUS, $279.99 + free shipping)

Optic & Mags: https://palmettostatearmory.com/vor...ptic-ten-magpul-pmag-5-56-30rd-magazines.html - (Vortex Strikefire II Red Dot Optic & Ten Magpul PMAG 5.56 30rd Magazines - $189.99)

Total for the AR: $449.98 + tax, free shipping

The Vortex & 10 Mags: $189.99 + tax & shipping

Grand total: $639.97 + tax and shipping for optic and mags.

For a plinker, I'm thinking this is pretty decent package to get him going, but I know some of y'all have more experience with some of the above components than I do ... So what say y'all? Any thoughts/concerns with those particular components?

Thanks/Brgds

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Skip the vortex and buy irons and ammo with that money instead.
So I thought of that during the build process, but since the upper we selected comes with a basic Magpul BUIS (Has standard front post as well), and since he has corrected eyesight as good as mine, I figured the Vortex would be a good entry-level red dot to help him get acquainted with ARs if he doesn't pick up iron sights well.

Granted, that $189 could have been turned into a better flip-up rear sight, but I figured the red dot might help him enjoy it a little more :noidea:

Reactions: dial1911

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Have him learn irons before a red dot. It may take a little longer and require some patience on your part coaching, but well worth it .

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
So I thought of that during the build process, but since the upper we selected comes with a basic Magpul BUIS (Has standard front post as well), and since he has corrected eyesight as good as mine, I figured the Vortex would be a good entry-level red dot to help him get acquainted with ARs if he doesn't pick up iron sights well.

Granted, that $189 could have been turned into a better flip-up rear sight, but I figured the red dot might help him enjoy it a little more :noidea:

To be honest, I personally always hated cheap red dots. Even the "good" ones are not that good for the simple fact the batteries die on them so quick. I'd say leave it off your list.. have him shoot with irons for awhile, and then let him decide on the optic that he thinks is right for him. Who knows, he may decide a 1-6x might be best because of his eyes.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Have him learn irons before a red dot. It may take a little longer and require some patience on your part coaching, but well worth it .
I won't be coaching, he's out of state; but I agree with starting with irons first before adding a red dot. The main purpose of adding a red dot to the package was his intended short-range use.

To be honest, I personally always hated cheap red dots. Even the "good" ones are not that good for the simple fact the batteries die on them so quick. I'd say leave it off your list.. have him shoot with irons for awhile, and then let him decide on the optic that he thinks is right for him. Who knows, he may decide a 1-6x might be best because of his eyes.
It was already ordered as part of the overall package (as mentioned above, everything listed was ordered, just looking to get feedback on possible concerns with the specific components). I hear ya on the red dot though, and as I replied to 1776, I'll pass along your comments about getting acclimated with irons before moving into a dot.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
For a plinker, not bad!

Just because I have to say it, he could get a Ruger AR556 for about that price, and be GTG!

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Given that most people shoot 100 yards maximum, he should enjoy the red dot... The "cheap" red dots I've had are plenty accurate for 8" steel plates and bowling pins out to about 100 yards. And red dots are very easy to shoot, so there's the instant gratification factor (i.e. I'm great at this!) ;)

All in all, the only thing I would have changed is an upper with a rail and no BUIS- I just don't like the Magpul plastic sights (personal preference). I'd probably just pick a detachable carry handle for myself... but that's what I like, not what most people like.

The only reason I'd choose the rail is 1. looks, and 2. the option for accessories. I'm a bit leery of the Freedom line, but that's not based on any real world experience. Hell, I think I have at least one PSA Freedom, and can't say that any of them didn't work well. I did buy a cheap DSG/some no name $200 upper that wouldn't shoot better than an 8" group at 100 yards. Replaced the barrel with a better one and it still didn't group well... who knows on that one.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Given that most people shoot 100 yards maximum, he should enjoy the red dot... The "cheap" red dots I've had are plenty accurate for 8" steel plates and bowling pins out to about 100 yards. And red dots are very easy to shoot, so there's the instant gratification factor (i.e. I'm great at this!) ;)

All in all, the only thing I would have changed is an upper with a rail and no BUIS- I just don't like the Magpul plastic sights (personal preference). I'd probably just pick a detachable carry handle for myself... but that's what I like, not what most people like.

The only reason I'd choose the rail is 1. looks, and 2. the option for accessories. I'm a bit leery of the Freedom line, but that's not based on any real world experience. Hell, I think I have at least one PSA Freedom, and can't say that any of them didn't work well. I did buy a cheap DSG/some no name $200 upper that wouldn't shoot better than an 8" group at 100 yards. Replaced the barrel with a better one and it still didn't group well... who knows on that one.
Yeah, having to buy the MOE to Picatinny rail adapters was also a thought, but I gave him a link to them if he wanted to hang shit off of the forearm that wasn't compatible (and I agree with you, I'm not a fan of the Magpul forearms for my own use, hence why I've never purchased one)

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Yeah, having to buy the MOE to Picatinny rail adapters was also a thought, but I gave him a link to them if he wanted to hang shit off of the forearm that wasn't compatible (and I agree with you, I'm not a fan of the Magpul forearms for my own use, hence why I've never purchased one)

Even though I said something about a rail, honestly, I don't have a darn thing on my favorite carbine. I had a light on it for awhile for a NV/night shoot. Then took it off because I hit the switch when I didn't mean to... and it added weight.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
i think this is a decent setup for an entry into ar shooting.

i love shooting irons but the i think it’s better for a first time ar owner to have red dots which make shooting the rifle much more enjoyable for the novice. once they have a desire/addiction - then it’ll drive them back to learning with irons.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Even though I said something about a rail, honestly, I don't have a darn thing on my favorite carbine. I had a light on it for awhile for a NV/night shoot. Then took it off because I hit the switch when I didn't mean to... and it added weight.
I gave him a run-down on all the shit he could hang off of the forearm if he wanted to later on, but since he chose to start with just the upper/lower and the basic optic & mag combo, that tells me he just wants a plinker and might consider other things later.

As for me, I have my ARs built to purpose, the vast majority are naked with just iron sights and upgraded stocks. I have one of the 5.56s that is decked out with accessories (minus the magwell grip ... I didn't go full retard) and one with a scope for LR plinking, but the 300 BO, X39 and the .22 conversion just have upgraded stocks and grips with irons.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I gave him a run-down on all the shit he could hang off of the forearm if he wanted to later on, but since he chose to start with just the upper/lower and the basic optic & mag combo, that tells me he just wants a plinker and might consider other things later.

As for me, I have my ARs built to purpose, the vast majority are naked with just iron sights and upgraded stocks. I have one of the 5.56s that is decked out with accessories (minus the magwell grip ... I didn't go full retard) and one with a scope for LR plinking, but the 300 BO, X39 and the .22 conversion just have upgraded stocks and grips with irons.

I finally settled on an all purpose compromise AR... Lightweight barrel, basically permanent mini-Grunt, and a 6-20 scope. The scope is way too much power for most things, but I zeroed it at a class and have good data out to 600 yards on it. And 6 power is fine for most things under 100 yards. For that matter, just pointing and shooting is good for most things under 50 yards.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I finally settled on an all purpose compromise AR... Lightweight barrel, basically permanent mini-Grunt, and a 6-20 scope. The scope is way too much power for most things, but I zeroed it at a class and have good data out to 600 yards on it. And 6 power is fine for most things under 100 yards. For that matter, just pointing and shooting is good for most things under 50 yards.
lol, same here; I have a cheap 6X20 sitting on one of my ARs that was left over from a trade a few years back, it too is way more magnification than I need - it works decent enough and holds zero, but the eye relief and FOV are garbage.... but for a plinker, it suits me fine ;)