Pro-Gun Prez

Herk

Hunter
Mar 16, 2017
Colorado
Zip code
For whatever it's worth, 8 U.S. presidents were lifetime members of the NRA. They were Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush. Kennedy stands out as the only Democrat on that list.

But I think @Herk has a point. A pro-2A president is nice and symbolically important, but I believe having majorities of pro-2A Congressional members is much more important legislatively. Presidents have executive orders that can be dumped by the next person in office and vetoes of legislation, which can be overridden.
The NRA thing isn't a guarantee of anything, really. Of that list of eight (interesting, BTW; I've never seen anyone compile a list of Presidents that were NRA members) you've got to remember that in Grant's era the NRA was more of a "let's make sure Yankees can actually shoot in case the South rises again" organization, Nixon gave us the BATF, Reagan turned off the tap on transferable full-autos and gave vocal support to Slick Willy's AWB, and Daddy Bush cut off "assault weapon" imports and made carry on .mil installations a no-go (and probably a bunch of other things that I'm forgetting; that guy really didn't seem to like Americans being armed). This is to say nothing of Trump making fiery speeches at the NRA before banning bump stocks and seemingly forgetting all of those promises in his speech as soon as they were made.

My rule is that all bureaucrats, elected, appointed, or otherwise, are there to make your life worse in every way until proven otherwise. Membership in any organization or affinity for something that I happen to love as well does not change this.

Grunk

If I could, I'd avoid me too.
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
The NRA thing isn't a guarantee of anything, really. Of that list of eight (interesting, BTW; I've never seen anyone compile a list of Presidents that were NRA members) you've got to remember that in Grant's era the NRA was more of a "let's make sure Yankees can actually shoot in case the South rises again" organization, Nixon gave us the BATF, Reagan turned off the tap on transferable full-autos and gave vocal support to Slick Willy's AWB, and Daddy Bush cut off "assault weapon" imports and made carry on .mil installations a no-go (and probably a bunch of other things that I'm forgetting; that guy really didn't seem to like Americans being armed). This is to say nothing of Trump making fiery speeches at the NRA before banning bump stocks and seemingly forgetting all of those promises in his speech as soon as they were made.

My rule is that all bureaucrats, elected, appointed, or otherwise, are there to make your life worse in every way until proven otherwise. Membership in any organization or affinity for something that I happen to love as well does not change this.
Absolutely. I started looking into the NRA membership thing because I knew Reagan & GHW Bush were members and folded instead of taking a stand. I was just curious to see if the NRA made a difference when 'one of their own' was in the White House. Obviously, they don't. And I believe your highlighted rule is spot on. I'm beginning to think many of them join organizations as cynically as they do everything else. Just to check a box that might pull in a few supporters.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
It was not with sarcasm that I named Jackson. That dude understood exactly what resistance was about. Leading men that made their (non-government) livings with rifles into battle against the British Army, putting honor above life, he was an asset to this country.

That his picture hangs on Trump's WH wall is funny. Makes me wonder if the Donald actually believes he'd make a wart on Jackson's ass.

I.D.-ten-T

Professional Knucklehead
Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Here
Zip code
It was not with sarcasm that I named Jackson. That dude understood exactly what resistance was about. Leading men that made their (non-government) livings with rifles into battle against the British Army, putting honor above life, he was an asset to this country.

That his picture hangs on Trump's WH wall is funny. Makes me wonder if the Donald actually believes he'd make a wart on Jackson's ass.
I think Jackson's picture is there for The Don the draw courage from, since A.J. was at odds with most of his own party as well.
Or at least that's what he wants us to think...