Pretty cool, in depth, self defense ammunition load testing...

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Stumbled across this on Lucky Gunner. It's definitely an interesting test they performed. Well worth a look.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I wish they would have tested the Underwood/Lehigh Extreme Defender and Extreme Penetrator line of ammo though. I'm seriously considering switching to those loads in my LCP with the +p extreme defender and the +p extreme penetrator staggered in my magazines.

Reactions: Hayata

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I get asked about carry ammo a lot. I’ll usually I’ve the person my personal opinion, and then refer them to this test.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Stumbled across this on Lucky Gunner. It's definitely an interesting test they performed. Well worth a look.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I wish they would have tested the Underwood/Lehigh Extreme Defender and Extreme Penetrator line of ammo though. I'm seriously considering switching to those loads in my LCP with the +p extreme defender and the +p extreme penetrator staggered in my magazines.
DO NOT, under ANY circumstances use any ammunition in an LCP that is "hotter" than SAAMI standards for .380 ACP. Several LCPs have been very rapidly disassembled in their shooter's hands because of overpressure ammunition.

There is no SAAMI specification for any "+P" loading in the .380 ACP cartridge even though several ammunition manufacturers mark some ammo as ".380 +P". Many of these loads are quite hot and none should ever be loaded into a Ruger LCP or other similar tiny pistols.

Regarding the loads by Lehigh and Underwood using the same machined solid copper bullets: STAY AWAY from the Underwood loads. They are too hot even though they advertise them as "SAAMI compliant". The Lehigh loads appear to be OK, though.

STAY SAFE!!!

Reactions: scand

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
My commuter handgun gets loaded with 60gr Hornady Vmax. I have a feeling it would have topped their charts, lol.

Reactions: scand