American Revival Apparel Company

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I have a question for you all that build your uppers instead of buy them complete. What is your preferred gas block and why. Do you use the same one or same style on different calibers. Is it steel or aluminum is it clamped pinned or screwed. What are your thoughts.

I have used the A2 FSB on some builds that I planned on using carry handle sights with Its pinned by a gunsmith of course and it’s cast from steel with a good fit on the barrel.

54574259-2AB2-4F9B-ABE0-8E5B69F85B49.jpeg

The free float ARs all receive the Geissele Super Gas Block. It’s by far my favorite I have used. It’s made out of steel it screws or pins on the barrel and it’s a snug fit on the barrel. I use the SLR jig to dimple the barrel and set the screws with lock tight.

32D32B33-F22B-4586-9599-39CC8E332D17.jpeg

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I prefer pinned, followed by dimpled and screwed. I won’t use a clamp-on.

For a standard gas block, I like Sadlak, BCM, and SOLGW.
I’ve been using quite a few Black River Tactical barrels lately and I like the pinned, steel gas block they sell. I’ve used the Geissele without any issues.

For that last ditch option when I have to use an adjustable, I prefer Superlative Arms.

Reactions: Red Dawn

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
ive used a bunch of different brands with no bad results: midwest, troy, bcm, daniel defense, aero precision, and geissele. i really like the geissele but it is expensive.

i previously preferred clamp-on vs set screw but i now have an slr dimple jig which gives greater piece of mind about set screw blocks.

i’ve never had a block move. loctite helps but i’ve never found it necessary unless you need duty-grade reliability. my self defense rifle has a pinned fsb but i wouldn’t hesitate to grab a rifle with a clamp-on or set screw block if it came down to it.

you can also have the geissele block pinned if it has to be “bomb-proof.”

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I just used the SLR jig on another Geiselle and man I like that jig. It’s near perfection everytime. It has a set screw that goes in the gas port you just have to line up the right offset size for the block you use. I usually dry fit the gb and make marks with the set screws to double check myself. The lt has a set screw and the rt is my barrel dimple I made. Broke a dang cheapo drill bit but that was the worst of it.

c28cf591b459f29f5216baf2c84fdd76.jpg

Reactions: cmshoot