This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Preferred Gas Block ??

Discussion in 'Firearms Talk' started by Red Dawn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Wolverine
    Trusted Trader

I have a question for you all that build your uppers instead of buy them complete. What is your preferred gas block and why. Do you use the same one or same style on different calibers. Is it steel or aluminum is it clamped pinned or screwed. What are your thoughts.

I have used the A2 FSB on some builds that I planned on using carry handle sights with Its pinned by a gunsmith of course and it’s cast from steel with a good fit on the barrel.

54574259-2AB2-4F9B-ABE0-8E5B69F85B49.jpeg

The free float ARs all receive the Geissele Super Gas Block. It’s by far my favorite I have used. It’s made out of steel it screws or pins on the barrel and it’s a snug fit on the barrel. I use the SLR jig to dimple the barrel and set the screws with lock tight.

32D32B33-F22B-4586-9599-39CC8E332D17.jpeg

2. SouthernSlammed

SouthernSlammed Gingerbeard Operator
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

So far it has been Ballistic Advantage low profile gas blocks, pinned and set screws!

Red Dawn likes this.
  3. ReservoirDawg10

ReservoirDawg10 Marksman
    Trusted Trader

Superlative Arms for me.

Red Dawn likes this.
  4. cmshoot

cmshoot Marksman

I prefer pinned, followed by dimpled and screwed. I won’t use a clamp-on.

For a standard gas block, I like Sadlak, BCM, and SOLGW.
    I’ve been using quite a few Black River Tactical barrels lately and I like the pinned, steel gas block they sell. I’ve used the Geissele without any issues.

For that last ditch option when I have to use an adjustable, I prefer Superlative Arms.

Red Dawn likes this.
  5. boss_hawg

boss_hawg Sniper
    Trusted Trader

ive used a bunch of different brands with no bad results: midwest, troy, bcm, daniel defense, aero precision, and geissele. i really like the geissele but it is expensive.

i previously preferred clamp-on vs set screw but i now have an slr dimple jig which gives greater piece of mind about set screw blocks.

i’ve never had a block move. loctite helps but i’ve never found it necessary unless you need duty-grade reliability. my self defense rifle has a pinned fsb but i wouldn’t hesitate to grab a rifle with a clamp-on or set screw block if it came down to it.

you can also have the geissele block pinned if it has to be “bomb-proof.”

Red Dawn likes this.
  6. Leadhoof

Leadhoof Tracker
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

IMG_2135.jpg

But seriously, Odin Works puts ou a good product. I had a fully adjustable one on my last AR build, and it worked fine.

cmshoot, Jake and Red Dawn like this.
  7. chance

chance Marksman
    Trusted Trader

Ballistic advantage pinned block or geissele and pinned

Red Dawn likes this.
  8. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Wolverine
    Trusted Trader

I just used the SLR jig on another Geiselle and man I like that jig. It’s near perfection everytime. It has a set screw that goes in the gas port you just have to line up the right offset size for the block you use. I usually dry fit the gb and make marks with the set screws to double check myself. The lt has a set screw and the rt is my barrel dimple I made. Broke a dang cheapo drill bit but that was the worst of it.

[​IMG]

cmshoot likes this.