This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Welcome OHGunOwners Members! OHGunOwners has come together with Southeast Traders to build one awesome outdoor and gun trading community. More members, more content, more classifieds and more fun to be experienced. We've made the transition as seamless as possible, so you can use your existing login credentials. If you have any issues, email [email protected] and we will take care of it for you!
    Dismiss Notice

Ohio "Duty to Inform" statute up for hearing!

Discussion in 'Law & Order' started by ~ZENAS~, Sep 12, 2017.

1. FatAlbert

FatAlbert Marksman
    Trusted Trader

Not a 100% sure, in Ga I don't think they do based solely on the fact you have a gun but either way it doesn't really help none when a man with a gun gets nervous about you having a gun and wants to take it from you. That's why it's important to have clear and bold laws that state your firearm is your business only and no one else's.

2. ~ZENAS~

~ZENAS~ Tracker
    Super Moderator

I think you're looking at it backwards. The question shouldn't be why shouldn't we inform the officer, but rather why should we. A law requiring a law abiding gun owner exercising their constitutional right to carry a firearm to inform an officer of that firearm does nothing more than expose that law abiding citizen to potential criminal penalties for minor breaches of an artificially imposed statutory duty.

As someone who has worked in law enforcement for a long time, I can also say that informing the officer one is carrying serves no real purpose in a minor traffic stop where the parties will encounter one another through a car window and after minimal contact, drive their separate ways in a vehicle. What benefit does it serve? It certainly doesn't put the officer at ease to know the guy he just pulled over has a gun. In fact, my experience is that it heightens the officers level of concern. It is far safer if the officer never knows the person is carrying.

EugenFJR likes this.