Ohio CCW Laws Quick References

American Revival Apparel Company

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
It is no secret that laws aren't really written so the common man can easily understand them any longer. So we're breaking it down in an easy to understand and read format for you. Anytime you are carrying a firearm, you want to make sure you are in full compliance with the law to ensure your safety and continued right to carry concealed firearms.

Transporting Handguns With A CCW In Ohio

In Ohio, with a valid CCW, you can carry the handgun on you, and you can also have a loaded handgun anywhere in the vehicle.

Interacting With The Police/Law Enforcement

Anytime you have an interaction with the police it is imperative you follow these guidelines to protect yourself and the agent of the law.

• Do not touch your firearm unless instructed to do so.
  • Immediately notify the officer that you have a concealed carry license, and are carrying a concealed weapon.
  • Do not exit your vehicle unless told to do so.
  • Obey all lawful orders.
  • Keep your hands in plain sight.

Places You Can Not Legally Carry (Also Known As Criminal Protection Zones (CPZ's))

There are places that are strictly off limits for concealed carry in Ohio and include the following types of places.

• Any building or property where there is a "no guns" sign. (See end of page for example of a valid sign)
  • Any law enforcement station or detention facility.
  • Any place that federal law prohibits firearms (Post Offices, Airports for example).
  • Courthouse or building housing a courtroom.
  • Govt. building (dedicated restroom, shelter, car park okay).
  • For places of worship check with your leaders.
  • Institution for the care of mentally ill persons
  • School zone (drop off/pick up okay if you stay in car), college or university (handgun locked in car okay)
  • Child day-care center
  • Wherever federal law prohibits the carrying of handguns
  • Any building or property posted as a “no gun zone”. (Your workplace is no longer included. You may carry to your place of work, and leave the gun and ammo locked in your vehicle.)

Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages

It goes without saying, consuming alcohol while carrying a firearm is never a good idea and is strictly prohibited. You are allowed to carry in establishments that sell alcohol if you are not consuming it.

Observe Common Sense Gun Safety At All Times

Anytime you are carrying or around firearms, common sense should be used.

• Never unholster your weapon if you do not intend to use it.
  • Always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction
  • Be aware of your surroundings, and what is behind any potential threats.
  • Follow all posted signs and laws regarding firearms.

Example of Valid Ohio No Firearms Allowed Sign

Any establishment wishing to restrict entry to persons carry a firearm has that right to do so. They must have a sign like the one post where it is easily visible and would be spotted by the common person.

View attachment 630

This list is not all inclusive nor is it meant to be. It's a quick reference guide for what you can and can not do while carrying a firearm according to Ohio laws as of 12/1/2016. If you are unsure of your laws, I suggest seeking legal advice from qualified counsel.

View full article

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Good summary, David. One clarification so there is no confusion: you might want to replace "firearm" in the transportation section with "handgun". It's important to note that even with a CCW license, you still can't have a loaded long gun in the car.

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Good summary, David. One clarification so there is no confusion: you might want to replace "firearm" in the transportation section with "handgun". It's important to note that even with a CCW license, you still can't have a loaded long gun in the car.

Updated that for clarification. Thanks!

Dec 17, 2016
Scenario Based Question:  This is actually what drove me to seek out and join this forum in the first place.  This is based off of a similar situation that has played out in Indiana and want to know if Ohio law differs from Indiana.

I have a lead foot and am pulled over by local LEO's.

As I am pulling over I place my firearm in my glovebox and retrieve my binder with all of my paperwork in it.

I inform the officer because it is required by state law, even though it is against my better judgement.

Officer asks me to step out of the vehicle and I comply. Last I checked this is well within their right to do and I must comply.

However, this is where the scenario gets interesting.  In Indiana, several officers have asked citizens to step out of the vehicle and then the officers retrieve the firearm and take possession of it.  This is what I want to avoid.

I am inclined to lock my vehicle as I leave it.  This prevents access and as far as my understanding of the 4th Amendment goes, they would need either my consent or a warrant to search my vehicle and seize my property.  Indiana views it this way: "officer safety" is not enough reason to initiate a search and seizure.  In fact, case law has thrown out drug evidence found in this fashion.  Does Ohio view it the same way?  Am I within my legal rights to deny the officer access based on Ohio case law? 

Last edited by a moderator:

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
You are required to give the officer your gun during the traffic stop if they ask. Failure to do so would be a crime. There is a procedure in the law for you to get the gun back and requirements for how they must care for it while they have it. In Ohio, your 4th amendment analysis wouldn't apply given the statutory requirement to notify of the presence of the gun and to turn it over if asked. Obviously that 4th amendment exception would be limited to just retrieving the gun from the glove box, so they couldn't search the whole care without probable cause there is something else (of course cars are already a 4th amendment exception so they wouldn't need a warrant if PC exists). But they could lawfully retrieve and take possession of your gun and if you lock the doors and refuse to open them you could be criminally liable. 

I will note however that in my experience, very few officers/departments are wanting to take possession of a person's ccw during a stop unless they have some real reason to do so. Regardless though, when I teach ccw classes, I try to stress to the students that the scene of a police encounter is not the place to argue your constitutional rights. Even if you feel (or are even certain) your rights have been violated, the prudent thing to do is comply fully, not cause problems on the scene, everyone goes home safely after the encounter, then you can address the constitutional violations later in the proper venue. Locking your car and telling the officer he can't get in is a stupid thing to do even if Indiana says it's legal.