Econ Obama just doubled the minimum salary requirements for employee overtime.

Howard Law

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
So just like that, the minimum salary not requiring overtime pay is $47,476. If you make less than $47,476 annually and work over 40 hours, you must now be paid overtime. How does this moron not realize that companies are just going to put lower level managers on hourly pay scales?

I got a notice about this from my payroll company a couple months ago. I already told my managers that if this passes they will be moved to an hourly pay schedule. Looks like it's being announced tomorrow and takes effect next at the end of the year.

So my manager whose pay is heavily incentive based grossing him about $90,000 year now qualifies for overtime if he works over 40 hours a week because bonuses only count 10%.

This liberal horseshit is really getting old. What in the hell is so wrong with a free market????

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
The free market is there. If anyone is unwilling or incapable of starting their own business yet expect substantial growth from remaining an employee and attempting to climb that ladder...well, good luck with that; your hurdles and limits will always be a reminder of what it's like working under someone

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Obammy is struggling to keep his ass in the news, nobody talks to him anymore so he has to come up with crap to get noticed

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
The free market is there. If anyone is unwilling or incapable of starting their own business yet expect substantial growth from remaining an employee and attempting to climb that ladder...well, good luck with that; your hurdles and limits will always be a reminder of what it's like working under someone
The free market is there, but not for long if the liberals keep chipping away at it like they do the rest of our liberties.

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
The free market is there, but not for long if the liberals keep chipping away at it like they do the rest of our liberties.
Which of your liberties have the liberals chipped away at?
I fail to see the necessary concern.
Maybe it's just rightwing "we're screwed....we're doomed...going to hell in a hand basket" paranoia
How about some personal responsibility? No?
I mean I'm not SuperOptimisticMan but for fucks sake, it must be "bad" for some people.
Or is it? Seems to have a religious-like fervor. Sticks like glue with some. Intense.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Yeah, seriously. Did they terk yer jerbz?
You don't believe there has been and continues to be a slow and steady erosion of your constitutional rights? More specifically those rights guaranteed us by the 1st, 2nd and 4th amendments? I'd say that's a good place to start, but generally the bigger government grows, the less liberty we have.

I own my own business, so I don't generally worry about anyone taking my job. I just have to worry about maintaining a healthy level of profitability despite all the redundancy in red tape and financial burden placed on me by my government.

Last edited:

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
So just like that, the minimum salary not requiring overtime pay is $47,476. If you make less than $47,476 annually and work over 40 hours, you must now be paid overtime. How does this moron not realize that companies are just going to put lower level managers on hourly pay scales?

I got a notice about this from my payroll company a couple months ago. I already told my managers that if this passes they will be moved to an hourly pay schedule. Looks like it's being announced tomorrow and takes effect next at the end of the year.

So my manager whose pay is heavily incentive based grossing him about $90,000 year now qualifies for overtime if he works over 40 hours a week because bonuses only count 10%.

This liberal horseshit is really getting old. What in the hell is so wrong with a free market????
I suspect that most companies will do the same, just as most companies reacted to the Obamacare requirements when it was first rolled out.

As soon as my previous company learned about the Obamacare requirements, they sent out a nationwide memo stating that all hourly employees working more than 30 hrs a week would be cut back to 20, no exceptions

Unfortunately, the increased minimum wage crap is already about to shut down many of our west-coast operations. We are now required to pay above $15/hr in Washington and California for entry-level positions. While we try to pass the costs on to our customers, we've already begun to see a drop off in business in those areas; before too long, I guarantee we'll be shutting down those ops because the customer will soon realize it's not cost effective to run their biz in such a cost-prohibitive location.

Reactions: dial1911

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I suspect that most companies will do the same, just as most companies reacted to the Obamacare requirements when it was first rolled out.

As soon as my previous company learned about the Obamacare requirements, they sent out a nationwide memo stating that all hourly employees working more than 30 hrs a week would be cut back to 20, no exceptions

Unfortunately, the increased minimum wage crap is already about to shut down many of our west-coast operations. We are now required to pay above $15/hr in Washington and California for entry-level positions. While we try to pass on the costs to our customers, we've already begun to see a drop off in business in those areas, before too long, I guarantee we'll be shutting down those ops because the customer will soon realize it's not cost effective to run their biz in such a cost-prohibitive location.
They just increased minimum wage to $23 hr. for salaried employees with the stroke of a pen. How do people not see that all this is going to do is lead small businesses to move people off of salary and on to hourly pay schedules that net them what they were making before? Those employees will go along with it so long as they aren't taking a pay cut and don't have to go find another job.

It's insanity. They act like everyone works for these huge, wealthy, greedy mega corporations when in fact, over 60% of americans (the ones that are working) work for small businesses. It just blows my mind that they can be so out of touch with reality and lack an understanding of basic economic principles.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
They just increased minimum wage to $23 hr. for salaried employees with the stroke of a pen. How do people not see that all this is going to do is lead small businesses to move people off of salary and on to hourly pay schedules that net them what they were making before? Those employees will go along with it so long as they aren't taking a pay cut and don't have to go find another job.

It's insanity. They act like everyone works for these huge, wealthy, greedy mega corporations when in fact, over 60% of americans (the ones that are working) work for small businesses. It just blows my mind that they can be so out of touch with reality and lack an understanding of basic economic principles.
Our Liberal Govt knows what's best for this country and its Biz owners, so don't fret ......

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I like my job and I'm pretty good at it, but sometimes I wonder why I didn't just become a drug dealer.
Funny that you say that, I was recently having this discussion with my my older sister the other day (she's a corporate consultant for a large temporary housing company after being in HR for 20+ years), we both agree that the Govt is flushing all small to medium businesses down the drain ... we've come to the realization that we should start our own Cartel, but we both agree it should be located in British Columbia or some other area that is less harsh than South America.

Maybe we could cut you in on a piece of the action ;)

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Funny that you say that, I was recently having this discussion with my my older sister the other day (she's a corporate consultant for a large temporary housing company after being in HR for 20+ years), we both agree that the Govt is flushing all small to medium businesses down the drain ... we've come to the realization that we should start our own Cartel, but we both agree it should be located in British Columbia or some other area that is less harsh than South America.

Maybe we could cut you in on a piece of the action ;)

Liberal social and economic policy is bad for small business, there's no doubt about that.

I'll run the shit out of a cartel. I've got people skills.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Liberal social and economic policy is bad for small business, there's no doubt about that.

I'll run the shit out of a cartel. I've got people skills.
I'm thinking that the 3 of us could do a start-up in less than 30 days; as long as you and I lean hard on the suppliers and my sis keeps the books balanced, we'll be in the black in under 30 days, I figure 300% profit margin within 90, 500-750% margin within 120 if we play our cards right

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
There are always going to be ways to legally get around all this proposed paranoia.
A negative outlook is never a solution.
If a person has just 1 specific trade in life and that trade is dependent on their employer, well, that's simply lack of effort on their part and the negativity is locally brewed and sustained. It's on them.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
There are always going to be ways to legally get around all this proposed paranoia.
A negative outlook is never a solution.
If a person has just 1 specific trade in life and that trade is dependent on their employer, well, that's simply lack of effort on their part and the negativity is locally brewed and sustained. It's on them.
I'm not following the first part of your statement, what part of the aforementioned is "proposed paranoia"?

I do agree that if an employee limits themselves by relying solely on a single employer, they are certainly screwed (if businesses react as I think they will)

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
I'm not following the first part of your statement, what part of the aforementioned is "proposed paranoia"?

I do agree that if an employee limits themselves by relying solely on a single employer, they are certainly screwed (if businesses react as I think they will)
The typical ODT style rightwing paranoia and whining regarding anything in politics that does not favor republicans' hopes and expectations.
Basically, everything becomes a proposed threat ter er dern libburteez. Dem dern librulz!

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
The typical ODT style rightwing paranoia and whining regarding anything in politics that does not favor republicans' hopes and expectations.
Basically, everything becomes a proposed threat ter er dern libburteez. Dem dern librulz!
Yeah, you lost me; I have no idea what happens on ODT these days .... not sure how that is germane to this conversation, but I'll roll with it .....