Notes of American History

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
"May 13, 1864 PrivateWilliam Henry Christman (October 1,1843 – May 11, 1864) was the first soldier to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He enlisted in the Union Army for service during the Civil War on March 25, 1864; serving in the 67th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment. He was hospitalized for measles five weeks later, being admitted to Lincoln General Hospital on May 1, and died on May 11. The Civil War was in its 3rd year & the cemeteries in the capital were full. He was interred in a new burial ground on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that became Arlington National Cemetery. Christman was the 1st US soldier to be buried there."

Screw him, and screw the sonsabitches that stole the land for that.

Reactions: Grunk

Grunk

Sweeping the Steps of your Empire
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
May 14, 1787 Delegates begin gathering in Philadelphia for the Constitutional Convention.

May 1, 1805 Even before the U.S. government concluded purchase negotiations with France, President Thomas Jefferson commissioned his private secretary Meriwether Lewis & William Clark, an army captain, to lead an expedition into what is now the U.S. Northwest. On May 14, 1805, one year after the United States doubled its territory with the Louisiana Purchase, the “Corps of Discovery”–featuring approximately 45 men (although only an approximate 33 men would make the full journey)–left St. Louis for the American interior. On November 8, 1805, the expedition arrived at the Pacific Ocean, the first explorers to do so by an overland route from the east. After pausing there for the winter, the explorers began their long journey back to St. Louis. On September 23, 1806, after almost two and a half years, the expedition returned to the city, bringing back a wealth of information about the largely unexplored region, as well as valuable U.S. claims to Oregon Territory.

Reactions: Liberty

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
May 15, 1800 President John Adams orders the federal government to pack up & leave Philadelphia & move to Washington, DC.

May 15, 1756 England declares war on France in America, starting the French & Indian War, a global conflict known as the Seven years War today. However, fighting and skirmishes between England & France had been going on in North America for years. In the early 1750s, French expansion into the Ohio River valley repeatedly brought France into armed conflict with the British colonies. In 1756–the first official year of fighting in the Seven Years War–the British suffered a series of defeats against the French & their broad network of Native American alliances. In 1757, British Prime Minister William Pitt (the older) recognized the potential of imperial expansion that would come out of victory against the French & borrowed heavily to fund an expanded war effort. Pitt financed Prussia’s struggle against France & her allies in Europe & reimbursed the colonies for the raising of armies in North America. By 1760, the French had been expelled from Canada, & by 1763 all of France’s allies in Europe had either made a separate peace with Prussia or been defeated. Spanish attempts to aid France in the Americas had failed & France also suffered defeats against British forces in India. The war ended with the signing of treaties in February 1763. France lost all claims to Canada & gave Louisiana to Spain, while Britain received Spanish Florida, Upper Canada, and various French holdings overseas. The treaty ensured the colonial& maritime supremacy of Britain& strengthened the 13 American colonies by removing their European rivals to the north and the south. Fifteen years later, French bitterness over the loss of most of their colonial empire contributed to their intervention in the American Revolution on the side of the Patriots.

Below is Benjamin West's painting Death of General Wolfe at Quebec. Gen. Wolfe's victory over the French on the Plains of Abraham (despite its biblical sound, Abraham was the name of the farmer who owned the fields on the plain) outside Quebec in 1759 was considered so crucial that, despite his death in the battle, Wolfe was long known as the "Man who won the French & Indian War".

May 15, 1942 A bill establishing a women’s corps in the U.S. Army becomes law, creating the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAACs) and granting women official military status.

Reactions: Liberty

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I read every post in this thread.
Glad you enjoy it. I've always been a history nerd. (I'm not ashamed. As a friend of mine says, "Everybody is a geek about something. It's just a question of what.") I enjoy finding the little known nuggets like the Battle of Attu. This kind of thing got more important for me several years ago when I realized my grandnephew & 2 grandnieces (between 10 & 14) weren't being taught hardly any US History in school. I've tried to teach them not only the high points but that history is more complex than racism, sexism, anti-religion, pro-religion or whatever the current fashionable lens for viewing everything is. One of the great joys of my life is all 3 of them call or text to ask me for more info whenever history topics strike their interest in school or otherwise.

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
May 16, 1868 The U.S. Senate fails by 1 vote to convict President Andrew Johnson in his impeachment trial & acquits him of committing “high crimes and misdemeanors.” In February 1868, the House of Representatives charged Johnson with 11 articles of impeachment for vague “high crimes and misdemeanors.” The main issue in Johnson’s trial was his staunch resistance to implementing Congress’ Civil War Reconstruction policies. The "Radical Republicans" of the day felt Johnson was to conciliatory with Southern Democrats & their efforts to enact laws denying freed slaves civil rights. Of the 11 counts, several went to the core of the conflict between Johnson and Congress. The House charged Johnson with illegally removing the secretary of war (who was responsible for overseeing Reconstruction) from office & for violating several Reconstruction Acts. The House also accused the president of hurling slanderous “inflammatory & scandalous harangues” against Congressional members. On February 24, the House passed all 11 articles of impeachment and the process moved into a Senate trial.

1968 Donald E. Ballard, Corpsman U.S. Navy, is awarded the Medal of Honor for action this date in Quang Tri Province. Ballard was a corpsman with Company M, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. He had just finished evacuating 2 Marines with heatstroke when his unit was surprised by a Viet Cong ambush. Immediately racing to the aid of a casualty, Ballard applied a field dressing & was directing four Marines in the removal of the wounded man when an enemy soldier tossed a grenade into the group. With a warning shout of, “Grenade!” Ballard vaulted over the stretcher & pulled the grenade under his body. The grenade did not go off. Nevertheless, he received the Medal of Honor for his selfless act of courage. Ballard was only the second man whose valor was rewarded despite the fact that the deadly missile did not actually explode.

1991 Queen Elizabeth II becomes the 1st British monarch to address Congress.

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
May 17, 1792 The New York Stock Exchange is founded by 24 brokers meeting under a buttonwood tree on what is Wall Street today. (Years ago, when I 1st heard of this I thought WTH is a "buttonwood" tree. I have since found out it is a sycamore tree, also called an American Sycamore in most parts of the world outside North America because sycamore refers to some other tree there.)

May 17, 1885 For the 2nd time in2 years, the Apache chief Geronimo breaks out of an Arizona reservation, sparking panic among settlers. A famous medicine man & the leader of the Chiricahua Apache, Geronimo achieved national fame by being the last American Indian to surrender formally to the United States. For nearly 30 years, Geronimo& his followers resisted the attempts of Americans to take away their southwestern homeland & confine them to a reservation. He was a fearless warrior & a master of desert survival. The best officers of the U.S. Army found it nearly impossible to find Geronimo, much less decisively defeat him.

May 17, 1954 The U.S. Supreme Court hands down an unanimous decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, ruling that racial segregation in public educational facilities is unconstitutional. The historic decision, which brought an end to federal tolerance of racial segregation, specifically dealt with Linda Brown, a young African American girl who had been denied admission to her local elementary school in Topeka, KS, because of the color of her skin. In 1896, the Supreme Court ruled in Plessy v. Ferguson that "separate but equal" accommodations in railroad cars conformed to the 14th Amendment’s guarantee of equal protection. That ruling was used to justify segregating all public facilities, including elementary schools. However, in the case of Linda Brown, the white school she attempted to attend was far superior to her black alternative and miles closer to her home. In an opinion written by Chief Justice Earl Warren, the nation’s highest court ruled that not only was the “separate but equal” doctrine unconstitutional in Linda’s case, it was unconstitutional in all cases because educational segregation stamped an inherent badge of inferiority on African American students. A year later, after hearing arguments on the implementation of their ruling, the Supreme Court published guidelines requiring public school systems to integrate “with all deliberate speed.”
Linda Brown, one of the plaintiffs in the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court ruling, in an undated photo.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
That's the likeliest cause of the leaking hydrogen catching fire. I should have included that. The last time I read about it, there were references to the leak being found on board at 7:20.No one knows for certain how long it had been leaking but many suspect the sudden reverse engine thrust may have started it. The spark was most likely caused by a difference in electric potential between the airship and the surrounding air. The airship was above the airfield in an electrically charged atmosphere and the difference in electric potential likely caused a spark to jump from the ship’s fabric covering ship’s framework (which was grounded through the landing line). Some people still argue for St. Elmo's fire on one of the landing field's towers. And of course, some still claim it was sabotage, though every single examination of the physical evidence done has found no sign of that.
It was sabotaged....

Reactions: Grunk