Notes of American History

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
In keeping with @dougiemac and @DaBlock (https://www.southeasttraders.com/threads/bitching-about-odt-thread.21608/page-3#post-423724 ) suggesting we find ways to grow our community here rather than just expressing our schadenfreude at ODT's problems, I've been trying to think of things I can do. This community really made a change in my perspective and the quality of my life when I found it last fall, so I really want it to grow. Who knows who else may find a community here when they need it. As you know, I have no money, so I can't just make a huge contribution to advertise so I'm trying to do my part to add content that might attract supporters.

My first effort at an ongoing thread was What Are You Reading which I hope others will add to, creating a place people might come to look for good reads. I'm working on writing up some of my experiences trying to learn to shoot again after my stroke. That's been kind of difficult because I'm not sure why anybody would really care what I have to say.

Then I remembered how much I enjoyed The American Patriot's Almanac: Daily Readings on America by William J. Bennett & John T.E. Cribb. I figure working from that and other sources, I would try to post up a daily historical note from America's past. I'm hoping others will add stuff I don't think of and sources I don't have.

Mods or @dougiemac, feel free to move this if there is a better forum for it to be in or let me know if the idea seems crazy. Just hoping to add some regular content not found everywhere else.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Today's choice is fairly easy. The "shot heard 'round the world" as Ralph Waldo Emerson dubbed it.

Especially relevant in these times is that the orders of the 700 British troops sent out from Boston were to seize any colonial weapons they might find.

On a darker note, April 19, 1995 was the day of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building Oklahoma City.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
April 20th, 1945. US 7th army captured German city of Nuremberg after a five day urban warfare battle. The 1st 4 days involved seizing control of the airport and "new" parts of the city around the outskirts. On 20 April, the 3rd Infantry Division laid siege to the old city. German resistance was so great that American heavy artillery and air support was deployed. The German commander ordered his men to continue to fight. After American troops gave him four chances for a peaceful surrender, he was killed while American troops overran his position. His second-in-command at 11:00 ordered all German troops in the area to surrender. On the evening of 20 April, the American flag was hoisted at Adolf Hitler Platz, formally ending the battle.

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
Today's choice is fairly easy. The "shot heard 'round the world" as Ralph Waldo Emerson dubbed it.
View attachment 50159

Especially relevant in these times is that the orders of the 700 British troops sent out from Boston were to seize any colonial weapons they might find.

On a darker note, April 19, 1995 was the day of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building Oklahoma City.
I remember 19 April 1995... it was a few weeks before I graduated from college. We were talking about the bombing, and I said "It goes to show you what one highly motivated person can do." Being full of liberals in that class, there was awkward silence for the next few minutes. McVeigh got the death penalty, which he deserved. But 14 years later a Muslim shoots up a room full of soldiers, and still has not been executed 10 years later.

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I remember 19 April 1995... it was a few weeks before I graduated from college. We were talking about the bombing, and I said "It goes to show you what one highly motivated person can do." Being full of liberals in that class, there was awkward silence for the next few minutes. McVeigh got the death penalty, which he deserved. But 14 years later a Muslim shoots up a room full of soldiers, and still has not been executed 10 years later.
There were many witnesses that saw 2 people get out of that truck. They killed him quick to keep him silent.

Reactions: Abby's Dad

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
There were many witnesses that saw 2 people get out of that truck. They killed him quick to keep him silent.
I have no doubt that he was helped in carrying out the bombing, but my point was that the Government is keeping a domestic terrorist alive for no reason. And to top it all off, it was in Texas, that fucker should have been executed years ago.

Hoss

The Second Coming
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Monticello
Zip code
I always thought that it was Terry Nichols. Am I misremembering?

Hoss

The Second Coming
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Monticello
Zip code
Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Columbine massacre. While definitely not the first mass shooting, this one is considered the beginning of the modern day mass shooting phenomenon. It's also when gun control advocates did their heels in so as to not allow a good tragedy to go to waste.

• Angry
Reactions: Grunk

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I have no doubt that he was helped in carrying out the bombing, but my point was that the Government is keeping a domestic terrorist alive for no reason. And to top it all off, it was in Texas, that fucker should have been executed years ago.
One of the Soldiers killed there took over for me when I left Korea. He was supposed to come back here to Fort Gordon to teach. His wife was here waiting and he got stuck at hood. Word is he went down trying to take that cunt out. We have a memorial to him at Vincent Hall. SSG Decrow was a bad motherfucker and if I ever meet that fucking cunt hassan I'll end it myself.

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code

Reactions: erkinator and Grunk

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
On April 21, 1865, a train carrying the coffin of assassinated President Abraham Lincoln left Washington, D.C. on its way to Springfield, Illinois, where he would be buried on May 4. The train carrying Lincoln’s body traveled through 180 cities and seven states on its way to Lincoln’s home state of Illinois. Scheduled stops for the special funeral train were published in newspapers. At each stop, Lincoln’s coffin was taken off the train, placed on an elaborately decorated horse-drawn hearse and led by solemn processions to a public building for viewing.

On April 21, 1914, the US Marines occupied the Mexican port of Veracruz. The occupation was set off when 9 American sailors were arrested by the Mexican government for entering off-limit areas in Tampico on Feb. 9, 1914. The unarmed sailors were arrested when they entered a fuel loading station. The sailors were released, but the U.S. naval commander demanded an apology and a 21-gun salute. The apology was provided, but not the salute. In the end, the response from President Woodrow Wilson ordered the US Navy to prepare for the occupation of the port of Veracruz. The United States occupation of Veracruz lasted for seven months.

On a side note, Warren Zevon's album Excitable Boy (1978, before most of you guys' time, I know) includes a song about the occupation from the point of view of a resident of Veracruz:

dougiemac

Captain
Owner
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
View attachment 50159

I was a few blocks away from the Murrah Building when it blew up. I will never forget that day or the days that followed after.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Up late trying to take care of my wife and it doesn't look like I'll get much sleep tonight, so today's entry gets posted early.

In 1864 on this date, Congress authorized the use of "In God We Trust" on US coins. It appeared on some coins but not others up until 1955 when Congress ordered it placed on all US currency and in 1956 Congress made it the official national motto.

On April 22, 1889 at high noon, the Oklahoma Land Rush officially began with an estimated 50,000 people lined up for their chance at a chunk of roughly 2 million acres of "unassigned land". It also gave rise to the Oklahoma University nickname of Boomer Sooner. Supposedly, "Boomers" were people who campaigned for the lands to be opened (or tried to enter the lands) before passage of the Indian Appropriation Act of 1889. "Sooners" were land thieves who settled before the lands were officially opened, giving them an unfair advantage on finding, fencing, and claiming farm land. If the charge of early entry was proven, they would lose their claimed land.

On April 22, 1898 the USS Nashville with firing the first shot of the Spanish-American War when, upon sighting of the Buena Ventura, she fired a blank shot across the Spanish merchantman's bow. She captured four Spanish vessels from 22 April-26 July 1898, and assisted in cutting the undersea telegraph cable just off the shore of Cienfuegos, where many of her sailors and Marines were honored with Medals of Honor. Nashville remained on duty off Cuba until the war's end.

Lastly, April 22, 1970 was the first Earth Day.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I know the 19th has passed, but you just can't mention the OKC bombing without mentioning Waco.

The Feds were seeing how far they could go, the Davidians pushed back, and were burned for their efforts.
McVeigh did a terrible thing, but it is easy to understand his motivation.

The Fed cover-up of actors involved, and the warning they had prior to, has largely been silenced, but is undeniable.

Carol Howe knew and warned them.

That bombing pretty well chilled the militia/nationalist movement that was very strong at the time - partly as a reaction to Waco and Ruby Ridge. Painting separatists as beer-swilling losers with no direction in life has been a successful tactic since, but hopefully that bullshit is wearing thin.

Let's not forget Columbine while we're thinking about events this time of year, either. Seems like a signpost for our culture.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
On April 23, 1789, President-elect George Washington and his wife, Martha, move into the first presidential mansion, The Franklin House in New York City.

In an age when disease and infection killed more soldiers than battle wounds, as he learned first-hand from his experience in the Spanish American-War, President Theodore Roosevelt created the Medical Reserve Corps on this date in 1908. Those 360 medical professionals standing ready to become active duty in the US Army in times of conflict were the beginning of the US Military Reserve.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
April 24th, 1877 federal troops were withdrawn from New Orleans, ending the post-Civil War occupation of the South.

This day in 1885 Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show hired a new sharpshooter, Annie Oakley.

Today in 1898 Spain declared war on the United States of America.

April 24th, 1980 saw the launch of Operation Eagle-Claw, a United States Armed Forces operation ordered by President Jimmy Carter to attempt to end the Iran hostage crisis by rescuing 52 embassy staff held captive. The operation, one of Delta Force's first, encountered many obstacles and was eventually aborted. Eight helicopters were sent to the first staging area, Desert One, but only five arrived in operational condition. During the operation's planning it was decided that the mission would be aborted if fewer than six helicopters remained operational, despite only four being absolutely necessary. As the U.S. force prepared to withdraw, one of the helicopters crashed into a transport aircraft which contained both servicemen and jet fuel. The resulting fire destroyed both aircraft and killed eight servicemen. In the context of the Iran's new leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, used the failed operation as a propaganda tool. He claimed that the mission had been stopped by "angels of Allah" who foiled the U.S. mission in order to protect Iran. This failure, and the humiliating public debacle that ensued, damaged U.S. prestige worldwide. Carter blamed his loss in the 1980 U.S. presidential election mainly on his failure to secure the release of the hostages.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Two follow ups to yesterday's post:

1898 The US declares war on Spain retroactive to April 21st after Spain declared war on the US on the 24th.

1980 Public announcement of the failed attempt to rescue the US hostages in Iran.

1945 US & Soviet forces meet up at the Elbe River in Central Europe.

1953 Watson & Crick's discovery of the double helical structure of DNA is published.

1959 The St. Lawrence Seaway opens, linking the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes.

1990 The space shuttle Discovery places the Hubble telescope in orbit. Engineer's soon realize a flaw in the light-gathering mirror was limiting the sharpness of the images. A device to fix the problem is engineered, built and then installed by astronauts from the shuttle Endeavor in 1993.