No Excuses, But Need More Knowledge

Howard Law

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So, I've got my gym membership this week and I'm struggling to know what to do... I mean I go in to the gym, what do I do? I've been looking at a few apps including the 531 app and I just downloaded the Bodyspace app among others, but I don't feel I have the full knowledge I need to do this right.

I know I really need to work on lower back strength. But I'm worried about not knowing proper form for dead lifts. I've got a friend who can teach me, but she is in Tennessee and I'm in Northern Georgia about 4 hrs away.

So I have two questions...

First, can you describe what you do to prep for the gym and then describe what you do when you get to the gym?

Secondly, any advice, plans, etc. that you recommend to help equip me with the knowledge needed?

Reactions: sam

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
Mate could you expand on your question a bit more?

As to getting a trainer, be careful, many are just gym rats that did a 6 week course so they could get paid for being in the gym, lots don't know shit all about the stuff they are supposedly "teaching".

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
So, I've got my gym membership this week and I'm struggling to know what to do... I mean I go in to the gym, what do I do? I've been looking at a few apps including the 531 app and I just downloaded the Bodyspace app among others, but I don't feel I have the full knowledge I need to do this right.

I know I really need to work on lower back strength. But I'm worried about not knowing proper form for dead lifts. I've got a friend who can teach me, but she is in Tennessee and I'm in Northern Georgia about 4 hrs away.

So I have two questions...

First, can you describe what you do to prep for the gym and then describe what you do when you get to the gym?

Secondly, any advice, plans, etc. that you recommend to help equip me with the knowledge needed?

I was listening to my son tell his dad this weekend about his exercise routine. They used to go to the gym together 5 days a week until the lil man joined My husband lost his motivation being that his gym buddy was gone and has gained 15 lbs in. 2 years was always a slim 145 now a 160 and at 5'9 and 42 years old still not bad.

But our son is now doing crossfit. He does go to the gym 7 days a week for 2 hour sessions. He doesn't want huge muscles just to stay slim and ripped. And I'll say the crossfit has changed his body for the better. He's always been slim and fit but now has more definition. And a rock hard 6 pack. He told his dad to start doing
Crossfit

My son does have gross arms. Like every single vein from his fingers to his elbows Pop out. He does run 5 miles a day also but he is young. Lol.

Good luck and don't loose motivation!

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Mate could you expand on your question a bit more?

As to getting a trainer, be careful, many are just gym rats that did a 6 week course so they could get paid for being in the gym, lots don't know shit all about the stuff they are supposedly "teaching".

Here in the states, in order to train someone officially, they must have a personal training certification at very least, if not a degree in physiology. Saying that, I have a buddy who has taken all but some final course work to get his degree and I feel 100% confident in his ability to train me correctly and safely.

Reactions: Sheps
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I would start by figuring out what your goals are. Why are you going to the gym? How often do you want to go and for how long? Will you do any physical activity outside of the gym?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I second the trainer suggestion. You don't have to use one every time but if they are any good they will be able to show you in one or two sessions what you need to do and the proper way to do it. Several years ago I paid for a trainer every 4 months. The first time he got me on a plan and showed me how to do things, then every 4 months he would adjust things as needed.

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
I second the "skip the trainer" suggestion. Most people I see at the gym who use one don't stick around.
Cant tell you how many Ive seen come and go.

KISS always.
Do some cardio for 10 minutes to warm up, then go lift some weights, or use some weight machines. Do 3-6 different weight bearing exercises.
Then ogle the chicks.

Then do more cardio for 10-20 minutes. Boom done. Ogle more chicks. Go home.

This will get you started, just don't get carried away and do a 5 mile run or crazy weight sets until your body is ready.

Gradually increase your efforts once your body gets used to it.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I started going to the gym a few weeks ago. I try to go 5 days a week but ive been averaging about 4. I start with a mile on the tread mill, then move to various cable weight machines, then another mile on the treadmill or several miles on the bike. It usually takes about an hour. Lately ive been going at night when theres less people and I would otherwise be just sitting at home watching tv. Ive been going to planet fitness. No idea if the instructors or classes are any good. I figure I can push myself and fogure out the equipment for a while before I need professional help.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
If you need to strengthen your lower back, you need to work on your core. Most people with back problems have very weak cores. When your abs and other core muscles are weak, your back muscles have to pick up the slack. Trying to make your back muscles stronger will only result in injury if you dont strengthen your core.

Think about your upper arm. You have a bicep for contraction and a tricep for extension. Your back and core work in a similar fashion.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you need to strengthen your lower back, you need to work on your core. Most people with back problems have very weak cores. When your abs and other core muscles are weak, your back muscles have to pick up the slack. Trying to make your back muscles stronger will only result in injury if you dont strengthen your core.

and tight hamstrings.

Reactions: Mac11FA