NIB BCG vs Phosphate BCG

Howard Law

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
So I know that the NIB BCGs are kind of a love or hate type thing.

@DarthVader is no fan of them.

What's the consensus of the SET.

Anybody had any reliability issues out of them?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I've never tried them. I've only run the regular old phosphate coated bcg's and I haven't had any issues. I guess I could see some potential advantages to a slicker and smoother bolt, I've just never had an inclination to buy one.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have 2 in the FA configuration and I can tell you they they have been reliable to date. I have run the 5.56 on a couple of occasions with a suppressor and did not clean after. Just put it the bag and brouhaha it home. Suppressed fire does dirty up the systems a bit but when I did clean it, I was able to easily wipe off all the crud on the BCG.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
From my limited research it seems that if you have the extra cash and like the way it looks along with easier cleaning go for it. It still needs to be lubed despite whatever the hype says.

Colt used to say the AR didn't need to be cleaned...

Dinky Dau

Over Sexed Sr. Citizen
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2015
Zip code
My thinking is, anything that moves, needs some lube at some time.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

Who me? I'm not really a hater. But I have run across a few that were out of spec, specifically in the bolt lug dimensions, causing extraction problems or causing a complete lock up of the action. A lot of guys use them without a single issue. Cool.

The reason that I really don't recommend them is that they don't really do anything better than a standard bcg and they're generally more expensive. The "wipe clean" thing isn't really any different. My BCGs all wipe clean, with the exception of the bolt tail. Carbon collects on the bolt tail on a NiB bolt just like a phosphate bolt. So, if you can wipe a phosphate carrier and bolt clean just like NiB and you still have to deal with carbon on the bolt tail, what does NiB really get you for that extra cost? Plus, you do have to lube them, despite the early claims about NiB. Seems like same/same to me. Just shiny and more expensive.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code

Who me? I'm not really a hater. But I have run across a few that were out of spec, specifically in the bolt lug dimensions, causing extraction problems or causing a complete lock up of the action. A lot of guys use them without a single issue. Cool.

The reason that I really don't recommend them is that they don't really do anything better than a standard bcg and they're generally more expensive. The "wipe clean" thing isn't really any different. My BCGs all wipe clean, with the exception of the bolt tail. Carbon collects on the bolt tail on a NiB bolt just like a phosphate bolt. So, if you can wipe a phosphate carrier and bolt clean just like NiB and you still have to deal with carbon on the bolt tail, what does NiB really get you for that extra cost? Plus, you do have to lube them, despite the early claims about NiB. Seems like same/same to me. Just shiny and more expensive.
Haters gonna hateeee.

I have one of the PSA NIB that was $99 in my 10.5 sbr that I run surppressed.

I've seen in a few forums where some people are claiming that the NIB actually attracts carbon more so then the phosphate coating.

Debating on going back to a regular phosphate BCG

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Haters gonna hateeee.

I have one of the PSA NIB that was $99 in my 10.5 sbr that I run surppressed.

I've seen in a few forums where some people are claiming that the NIB actually attracts carbon more so then the phosphate coating.

Debating on going back to a regular phosphate BCG

Lol! I honestly can't think of a reason to ditch a working BCG. I've also seen the statements about carbon actually being absorbed into NiB, hence the reason the turn black after being shot alot. As long as it's not hindering function, no big deal. It just goes to show you though, that NiB doesn't really do what was originally claimed, which is that we would never need to use lube again and that it was easier to clean.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Lol! I honestly can't think of a reason to ditch a working BCG. I've also seen the statements about carbon actually being absorbed into NiB, hence the reason the turn black after being shot alot. As long as it's not hindering function, no big deal. It just goes to show you though, that NiB doesn't really do what was originally claimed, which is that we would never need to use lube again and that it was easier to clean.
Only reason I'm thinking about going back is because I'm more inclined to run something that is tried and true vs something that's relatively new.

I haven't had any issues out of it but just "better safe than sorry" mentality I reckon.

Going to valor ridge in December. I'll see how it (PSA NiB BCG) the WAR upper and Sandman S hold up.

Reactions: DarthVader