NFA and gun trust questions regarding moving/change of address.

Faktory 47

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
You went from Snellville where everybody's somebody to Loganville? where's Loganville?
I didn't grow up around here but moved to loganville about 15 years ago, just moved back after a few years in snellville. So I didn't know about that. After about the 100th time being asked "where's loganville?" In a crazy voice someone finally told me about it. I recently youtubed the commercials and watched them. Pretty cheesy stuff, but that's what we used to do back then too. Make the commercials cheesy on purpose and people would remember and talk about them. Even if they were making fun of you they were still talking about you. That's quintessential 80s/90s marketing style. Hell, we're still talking about it.

Last edited:

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I didn't grow up around here but moved to loganville about 15 years ago, just moved back after a few years in snellville. So I didn't know about that. After about the 100th time being asked "where's loganville?" In a crazy voice someone finally told me about it. I recently youtubed the commercials and watched them. Pretty cheesy stuff, but that's what we used to do back then too. Make the commercials cheesy on purpose and people would remember and talk about them. Even if they were making fun of you they were still talking about you. That's quintessential 80s/90s marketing style. Hell, we're still talking about it.

Yeah man, that was a damn good marketing strategy. Hell, Maxie Price is still one of the top selling Chevy dealers in the state and up until about 15-20 years ago they were in the middle of fucking nowhere. That area has really exploded in the last 15-20 years though. I grew up in Snellville and then moved to Walnut Grove when I moved out when I was 18. I used to have some damn good times around that whole area.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I started my trust in GA, and have since moved to PA.

My father who is a trustee has bought suppressors on form4 in GA while at the same time I have done the same thing in PA.

Only time you need to do any paperwork due to moving is if you're gonna cross state lines with an SBR/SBS/MG (basically any NFA item that isn't a supressor)

Reactions: Red Dawn

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
So. I've been wanting to get into the NFA game forever. I was married and kept having kids, so it kept getting pushed back, plus I was moving around alot, now I'm getting divorced and can afford it, but I'm renting, which leads to my questions.

1: How big of a pain in the ass is it to update your address when you move either with a gun trust, or notifying the ATF?
It's just a form. The biggest issue is having your DL address updated for when we complete the transfer.
2:What all is required of you when you change address? I currently rent, but now that I'm getting divorced I am finally looking to buy a house. This wont happen anytime soon, but sometime within the next 3-5 years.

3: Would it be possible to start a trust with my brother (we already discussed this) and have his house (he owns) as the main residence and mine as a secondary residence? (This sounds kinda impractical, and is not really preferred)

4: Should I go ahead and do it, knowing that I am going to move AT LEAST once in the next 5 years, or should I keep holding off until I buy something permanent? Yes, people move all the time. It's not a big a deal.

Email me what cans you're looking at and quote you a price. sales@doglegarms.com

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I started my trust in GA, and have since moved to PA.

My father who is a trustee has bought suppressors on form4 in GA while at the same time I have done the same thing in PA.

Only time you need to do any paperwork due to moving is if you're gonna cross state lines with an SBR/SBS/MG (basically any NFA item that isn't a supressor)
Yeah NFA Branch doesn't care about the address on the trust.

Reactions: Righter13

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Excellent. Thanks for the info guys! Guess it's time to cross into the land of wait times and paperwork.

Jump through the hoops and pay it all up front... then, much later, when you've forgotten about it someone will call you out of the blue. And then it's like "Yes! This is awesome! I completely don't remember (or feel like) I spent any money on this thing and now it's mine."

Reactions: chrislibby88