NFA and gun trust questions regarding moving/change of address.

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

chrislibby88

Hunter
Oct 16, 2015
Warner Robins
www.facebook.com
So. I've been wanting to get into the NFA game forever. I was married and kept having kids, so it kept getting pushed back, plus I was moving around alot, now I'm getting divorced and can afford it, but I'm renting, which leads to my questions.

1: How big of a pain in the ass is it to update your address when you move either with a gun trust, or notifying the ATF?

2:What all is required of you when you change address? I currently rent, but now that I'm getting divorced I am finally looking to buy a house. This wont happen anytime soon, but sometime within the next 3-5 years.

3: Would it be possible to start a trust with my brother (we already discussed this) and have his house (he owns) as the main residence and mine as a secondary residence? (This sounds kinda impractical, and is not really preferred)

4: Should I go ahead and do it, knowing that I am going to move AT LEAST once in the next 5 years, or should I keep holding off until I buy something permanent?

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I moved and didn't do shit. They haven't come for me yet. I'll let you know if they do.

Anyone on your trust can possess the items. My brother and father are on mine. Don't quote me, but I don't think your address matters. All my guns have Snellville, GA engraved on them and I don't live there anymore. Other than displeasing my OCD I don't think it's a problem at all.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I moved and didn't do shit. They haven't come for me yet. I'll let you know if they do.

Anyone on your trust can possess the items. My brother and father are on mine. Don't quote me, but I don't think your address matters. All my guns have Snellville, GA engraved on them and I don't live there anymore. Other than displeasing my OCD I don't think it's a problem at all.

You went from Snellville where everybody's somebody to Loganville? where's Loganville?

chrislibby88

Hunter
Oct 16, 2015
Warner Robins
www.facebook.com

Yes, but are they Co trustee's addresses written into the trust?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
But thanks. You and @DoglegArms should come down to Marion Road one sunday. I can host you. Got them guest passes on deck, plus you can only bring one guest twice, so if I'm gonna burn up my passes I gotta bring new folks.

Yeah... after you've been a member for awhile, you end up with a dozen or more passes. I invite people all the time just to make some room in my ID badge pocket.

chrislibby88

Hunter
Oct 16, 2015
Warner Robins
www.facebook.com
Yes $99 and build your trust for you. You can update it or add anyone anytime online and reprint
My very limited experience tells me that you don't have to update much. I know once a lower receiver is engraved, it doesn't matter if you move- it can just move with you so long as it's not across state lines.

Guess it's time to do a trust, convert and SBR my USC, and start suppressor shopping....Just when I had enough money pits, I start digging 5 more.

Reactions: Red Dawn

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Guess it's time to do a trust, convert and SBR my USC, and start suppressor shopping....Just when I had enough money pits, I start digging 5 more.

I've been thinking about (and talking myself out of) SBR'ing an AR lower for a couple of years now. I might finally do it since the rules have finally become more strict.

chrislibby88

Hunter
Oct 16, 2015
Warner Robins
www.facebook.com
I've been thinking about (and talking myself out of) SBR'ing an AR lower for a couple of years now. I might finally do it since the rules have finally become more strict.
Yea, I'm still on the fence about SBRs, especially with ARs. Cool to have, hard to sell, not super practical in terms of balistics, especially when you go shorter than 10 inches. It almost feels nessicary with my UMP conversion though, for the authentic feel, and I doubt I would ever sell it.