Howard Law

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Well, the mayor of Boston is calling for Massachusetts to pass legislation to require doctors to ask patients if they own any guns and to help determine if they are a risk for suicide or domestic violence. How long before red flag laws are the extended to include "tips" from doctors as well as family members of gun confiscation? (That's a rhetorical question.)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/01/10/boston-proposes-state-law-requiring-doctors-ask-about-guns-homes/VEpS3hMNGIRFb0R4RmKjDI/story.html

Reactions: LouHill

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
They've asked me if there are any guns in the house at my kids pediatrician before. Why that matters when my kid is just in there for a check-up I have no idea?
Yeah, The AMA has been after doctors to do this shit for years. But now the mayor of Boston is wanting it to be required by law in MA.

I'm lucky, the only gun conversation I've had with my doctor is when he asked me for a holster recommendation. :cool:

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
My doctor had me fill out a new patient form (I am not a new patient but this was a new form) and it asked if I owned or had guns in the house so I left the question blank.
With all the doctors my wife has seen, we've encountered that question before. She just always says no. She says if she gets accused of lying she'll point out that it's not a crime to lie to your doctor and she doesn't lie about any questions relevant to her medical condition, She told me he doesn't need to know if we own guns any more than he needs to know what color our house is.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
With all the doctors my wife has seen, we've encountered that question before. She just always says no. She says if she gets accused of lying she'll point out that it's not a crime to lie to your doctor and she doesn't lie about any questions relevant to her medical condition, She told me he doesn't need to know if we own guns any more than he needs to know what color our house is.

I like that comparison and will likely use her words if I encounter such a thing in the future.

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
It's just another avenue of gov't control. If you can convince enough people that gun ownership is a 'public health' concern, the statists can stack up all kinds of rules and regulations.