CLOSED Need a plumber

the_great_white

High Drag - Low Speed Operator
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
I have a significant leak on an underground pipe that goes to a cabin a good ways back on the property. It is dumping about 15 gallons a minute but for the life of me, I can't find the leak.
Ok, that's beyond my abilities of helping....lol
If it was something simple I was gonna try and help you out.

Reactions: Cudruln

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have a significant leak on an underground pipe that goes to a cabin a good ways back on the property. It is dumping about 15 gallons a minute but for the life of me, I can't find the leak.
Get a wooden dowel rod and walk the line probing until you find the really soft wet spot!

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Get a wooden dowel rod and walk the line probing until you find the really soft wet spot!
Unfortunately that probably won't work. First I am unsure of the exact route of the line. Second it goes through every possible ground condition (soil, rock, marsh and even the back corner of the pond). I have been debating on splicing the line and applying air so I can detect the break by sound. Just wanting to get a plumber involved before I get crazy deep in this.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Unfortunately that probably won't work. First I am unsure of the exact route of the line. Second it goes through every possible ground condition (soil, rock, marsh and even the back corner of the pond). I have been debating on splicing the line and applying air so I can detect the break by sound. Just wanting to get a plumber involved before I get crazy deep in this.
Sounds like it should be easier to run a new one.

Reactions: Axeman

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Sounds like it should be easier to run a new one.
Maybe, but I am talking a good clip from the valve to the cabin. It would not be an easy feat.

The main thing is the water is still getting to the cabin. But with everything shut off (minus the control valve) it is dumping about 15 gallons a minute somewhere along the way.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
The orange is my current dwelling. Red line is approximate for water to cabin. Yeah it's a long stretch. 20181016_221742.jpg

Reactions: Slacker1972

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
1. I am not a plumber.

2. We have been tasked with finding leaks in storm drains before- i.e. figure out why the storm drain is filling with water when there hasn't been any rain in a month.

We used a hose to fill the near by holes with water. They drained fairly quick. We dyed the water green to see which one was contributing to the leak. Just a thought- dye the water in the line and see where green water starts bubbling up. Or if the end of the pond turns green. The cabin may have green water for a week or two after the fix.

Reactions: Cudruln

LXHunter

Tracker
Jun 24, 2015
Zip code
Maybe, but I am talking a good clip from the valve to the cabin. It would not be an easy feat.

The main thing is the water is still getting to the cabin. But with everything shut off (minus the control valve) it is dumping about 15 gallons a minute somewhere along the way.
1. Does the cabin have a shut off valve where the line enters?
2. Does the heater in cabin have a thermal expansion tank or thermal expansion valve piped outside or neither?
3. Usually leaks are where the line transitions - either close to meter or close to foundation of cabin. Have you tried digging at meter and possibly pot holing around foundation where line enters?
4. Cabin a crawl space or slab?

LXHunter

Tracker
Jun 24, 2015
Zip code
1. I am not a plumber.

2. We have been tasked with finding leaks in storm drains before- i.e. figure out why the storm drain is filling with water when there hasn't been any rain in a month.

We used a hose to fill the near by holes with water. They drained fairly quick. We dyed the water green to see which one was contributing to the leak. Just a thought- dye the water in the line and see where green water starts bubbling up. Or if the end of the pond turns green. The cabin may have green water for a week or two after the fix.
That won't work on a pressurized potable system. Drainage possible, but not a main.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
1. Does the cabin have a shut off valve where the line enters? Have not looked that far into it, but will
2. Does the heater in cabin have a thermal expansion tank or thermal expansion valve piped outside or neither? Not sure
3. Usually leaks are where the line transitions - either close to meter or close to foundation of cabin. Have you tried digging at meter and possibly pot holing around foundation where line enters? Will check at the valve for the meter, line is mostly exposed going to the cabin once it clears the lake
4. Cabin a crawl space or slab? Crawl space
Obviously I haven't done a whole lot to investigate the leak other than turning the water on and walking the line. I am going to have to put some serious time into tracking the leak down.