My journey: TacResponse way of the pistol

American Revival Apparel Company

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
IMG_6190.JPG First off thanks again to @JamesYeager,@dougiemac and @NWS for making this happen for me.
After waiting well over a year to take this class thanks to an 11momth vacation to the Middle East the time is finally here.

I will be updating this post at the end of each day.

Day 0:

Plan: drive to Camden TN where I will be staying in the team room which is in the basement of James Yeager's house.

What happened: made it to the team room, got a bottom bunk. Made some friends. Went to dinner and now just talking shit. There is a SET sticker on the fridge.

Day 1: Plan, go to class with an open mind.

What happened: went to class with an opened mind. Started with going over basic safety rules like most classes but that's where the similarities stopped.

Went to the range (new range, not the one usually seen on YouTube) and with out giving away too terribly much we went from crawl to fast walk in just a matter of hours.

Went to SOE afterwards where John gave me and a few other guys a tour of the shop and BS'd with us for a an hour or so.

Now we're just hanging around the class room with James.

Both of these Gentlemen are great down to earth guys. Can't wait for the rest of the week.

Day 2: Plan, first half of the day is lecture then followed by shooting on the move in the afternoon. I'm told the lecture is the best part of the class. I am inclinced to believe so due to the fact that mindset is often the most overlooked aspect of any type of training.

What happened: Great lecture this morning that itself could be a whole class.

After lunch we went out to the range and ran some close up drills as well as shooting on the move and from cover/concealment.

This is the end of the "fighting pistol" part of "Way of the Pistol" tomorrow we start "advanced fighting pistol"

I would have been content with taking only FP class here. I have taken a few classes from other places and this environment by far has been among the top. The biggest thing anyone should take away from this class is the mindset.

I'm trying not to give away too much of the class because the environment and instructors are over half of the experience. I definitely look forward to the next chapter tomorrow.

Day 3: only 6 students in this class which is awesome.

First day of advanced pistol started with a brief reminder of the four safety rules and then it was trigger time. This portion of class is based on the premise that you already know how to properly shoot and maintain good safe fundamentals.

A few things we covered were single handed off hand malfunction clearing, shooting from our back in various position.

I decided to start running the drills and carrying a back up gun. After all, this is the place to try new things. I've decided that I'll be carrying a backup gun as well. The "New York" reload is the quickest reload when tap rack bang doesn't work.

Dinner time now with the instructors. Jay Gibson and Don Numbers.

Day 4: Started off with a few warm up type drills then went head on into advanced "fighting" and gun retention drills. This is the stuff the internet would blow up.

Shooting under stress drills and how to apply tourniquets and bandages under stress.

Finished the day off with low light shooting in the shoothouse. Doesn't always happen in the house. Just depends on when the sun goes down.

Day 5: Force on Force inside the shoot house using Simmunition guns. This was the "culminating event" where we took everything we had learned and used it to save our lives.

There is some stuff I'm intentionally leaving out. Come take the class for the full experience.

Feel free to post questions here. I had a great time and would definitely pay full price.

Last edited:

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
First off thanks again to @dougiemac and @NWS for making this happen for me.

Day 0:

Plan: drive to Camden TN where I will be staying in the team room which is in the basement of James Yeager's house.

What happened: pending update

@JamesYeager donated the class, so big thabks to him.

Enjoy!

Reactions: 1776 and Righter13

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Question, do you need more than 1 pistol? If I was lucky enough to win, I really only have a G21 and a G17. Should I be looking for a 2nd G21 fo a back up gun. (I want a 2nd one anyway) or maybe a 2nd G17... IDK. What's your thoughts on this.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Question, do you need more than 1 pistol? If I was lucky enough to win, I really only have a G21 and a G17. Should I be looking for a 2nd G21 fo a back up gun. (I want a 2nd one anyway) or maybe a 2nd G17... IDK. What's your thoughts on this.
as long as you haven't boogered much with the insides and they're reliable then you shouldn't "need" a back up gun.

BUT!!! In your case I would either

A) bring enough ammo for each pistol

B) get rid of one and move to a single caliber that uses the same mag.

C) TacResponse has enough spare guns that you'd be fine.

There was only two deadlines during the class. 1 was a squib load from minuteman munitions. The other was from some dude dicking w the Glock factory trigger. It was going full auto.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
as long as you haven't boogered much with the insides and they're reliable then you shouldn't "need" a back up gun.

BUT!!! In your case I would either

A) bring enough ammo for each pistol

B) get rid of one and move to a single caliber that uses the same mag.

C) TacResponse has enough spare guns that you'd be fine.

There was only two deadlines during the class. 1 was a squib load from minuteman munitions. The other was from some dude dicking w the Glock factory trigger. It was going full auto.

I haven't played with the triggers, or internals at all, but I do like my G21 over the G17. I guess if one went down I could use the other, just bring some more ammo for the G17.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I haven't played with the triggers, or internals at all, but I do like my G21 over the G17. I guess if one went down I could use the other, just bring some more ammo for the G17.
You should be good to go then. Just be sure to bring enough ammo and either the instructors or another student will have a gun you can use.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
First off thanks again to @JamesYeager,@dougiemac and @NWS for making this happen for me.
After waiting well over a year to take this class thanks to an 11momth vacation to the Middle East the time is finally here.

Day 0:

What happened: made it to the team room, got a bottom bunk. Made some friends. Went to dinner and now just talking shit. There is a SET sticker on the fridge.

Day 2: Plan, go to class with an open mind.

What happened: went to class with an opened mind. Started with going over basic safety rules like most classes but that's where the similarities stopped.

Went to the range (new range, not the one usually seen on YouTube) and with out giving away too terribly much we went from crawl to fast walk in just a matter of hours.

Went to SOE afterwards where John gave me and a few other guys a tour of the shop and BS'd with us for a an hour or so.

Now we're just hanging around the class room with James.

Both of these Gentlemen are great down to earth guys. Can't wait for the rest of the week.

Day 3: Plan, first half of the day is lecture then followed by shooting on the move in the afternoon. I'm told the lecture is the best part of the class. I am inclinced to believe so due to the fact that mindset is often the most overlooked aspect of any type of training.

What happened: Great lecture this morning that itself could be a whole class.

After lunch we went out to the range and ran some close up drills as well as shooting on the move and from cover/concealment.

This is the end of the "fighting pistol" part of "Way of the Pistol" tomorrow we start "advanced fighting pistol"

I would have been content with taking only FP class here. I have taken a few classes from other places and this environment by far has been among the top. The biggest thing anyone should take away from this class is the mindset.

I'm trying not to give away too much of the class because the environment and instructors are over half of the experience. I definitely look forward to the next chapter tomorrow.

Day 4: only 6 students in this class which is awesome.

First day of advanced pistol started with a brief reminder of the four safety rules and then it was trigger time. This portion of class is based on the premise that you already know how to properly shoot and maintain good safe fundamentals.

A few things we covered were single handed off hand malfunction clearing, shooting from our back in various position.

I decided to start running the drills and carrying a back up gun. After all, this is the place to try new things. I've decided that I'll be carrying a backup gun as well. The "New York" reload is the quickest reload when tap rack bang doesn't work.

Dinner time now with the instructors. Jay Gibson and Don Numbers.

There is some stuff I'm intentionally leaving out. Come take the class for the full experience.

Jay the "Nighttmere" Gibson.... he is probably one of the top 5 toughest and most humbly badass SOB's I've ever met.

Don Numbers... possibly the sweetest and strongest motherfucker on the planet.

Please tell them both Dougie Fresh said "hey brother"!

Reactions: Righter13

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
IMG_6185.JPG
Jay the "Nighttmere" Gibson.... he is probably one of the top 5 toughest and most humbly badass SOB's I've ever met.

Don Numbers... possibly the sweetest and strongest motherfucker on the planet.

Please tell them both Dougie Fresh said "hey brother"!

Reactions: dougiemac