GA Firing Line

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Figured I would start a thread on my first AR build! Starting even though the rifle is complete, for now!!! You know how that is, will likely find something to change on it down the road! No project is ever complete!!!

Started out with one of the wonderful SET AR lowers! Decided that I was going to go the AR9 route with it! Topped it off with a Spikes Tactical stripped upper. I like to keep it matchy matchy!!!

20170824_201636-1.jpg

Here is a list of parts that I threw at her:
Spikes Tactical Heavy 9mm Buffer
Spikes Tactical Mag Block
AT3 10" Handguard
Ballistic Advantage 5.5" Barrel
CMMG Lower Parts Kit
Kak Blade Kit
Dust Cover (Engraved)
Strike Industries Forward Assist
Strike Industries Strike Switch Safety
Strike Industries Rail Mount
Timber Creek Trigger Guard
Phase 5 Extended Bolt Release
Phase 5 QD Endplate
KNS Non-Rotating Pins
Odin Works Mag Release
Odin Works Hand Stop
AXC Charging Handle
Tactical Galaxy Anodized Mag Catch
Tactical Galaxy Anodized Take Down Pins

I did go with a bit of a color scheme with the build. If I would have just kept it simple I probably would have been in it real cheap. I took the major parts to @FatAlbert for cerekoting. Went with a gun metal grey color, accented with anodized red and black.

IMG952017100395164207717.jpg

20171027_181720.jpg

Everything went together very well! Then first issue that I ran into was that the trigger was not resetting after a round fired. You could rack the gun and it would reset then, but once fired with would chamber a round but would not reset.

Turned out to be the trigger group. I had a CMC drop-in in it, and it appeared to be the springs not set right. I have not retried that fire group since fixing. I just went with the CMMG milspec fire group out of the LPK.

At this point the only future plans are that it will run suppressed 100% of the time.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Range Day Today:

Took it out for its first grouping! I'm running a few PSA 32rnd mags and 1 Metalform mag. I'm running a Vortex Strikefire II red dot on it.

20180119_131256-1.jpg

First 6 shots went bang as they should. I think it was a decent group at 25yrds, possible errors on my part!

20180119_131945.jpg

I had no issues until I got to the 4th mag (PSA mag). 1st mag through was Wolf steel 9mm and the other 3 were Federal 115g fmj.
On the 4th mag it started out with some feeding issues out of the mag. Then the trigger decided to act up on reset. If you just slightly pulled for next round, it would not fire, but as you let it go you could then hear it reset. Almost like it was sticking. I will try to pull it out and give a good cleaning and greasing to all trigger parts.
**curious if any others have had a similar problem with triggers?**

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Nice setup @SouthernSlammed It really looks great !! How did you ever find that Spikes adapter ? Sounds like it may be lack of power in ammo ... I would try a couple different makes to see if that's what it is or the feed lip on that last mag could use a lil rub. Is that buffer a 7,8,9 oz and the spring is it 308 rifle or heavy just thinking out loud.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Nice setup @SouthernSlammed It really looks great !! How did you ever find that Spikes adapter ? Sounds like it may be lack of power in ammo ... I would try a couple different makes to see if that's what it is or the feed lip on that last mag could use a lil rub. Is that buffer a 7,8,9 oz and the spring is it 308 rifle or heavy just thinking out loud.

Mag Adapter was one of the few used parts that I purchased for it.
Buffer was used as well! ST-9X weighs in at 7.7oz the spring is what I assume came with the KAK Blade, also used.

The other 2 other PSA mags were running the same Federal ammo. The last 15 rounds seem to chamber fine, I think a few of those still had the sticky reset of the trigger.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Mag Adapter was one of the few used parts that I purchased for it.
Buffer was used as well! ST-9X weighs in at 7.7oz the spring is what I assume came with the KAK Blade, also used.

The other 2 other PSA mags were running the same Federal ammo. The last 15 rounds seem to chamber fine, I think a few of those still had the sticky reset of the trigger.

I've looked for that adapter before and come up empty. Good snag. I think with 9mm you can start on the heavy buffer side of it and go down in weight till it holds open since you'll be using it with a can later. Also the Wolf heavy spring could be an option too. I'd clean the mag guts and inspect the followers first tho.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
I've looked for that adapter before and come up empty. Good snag. I think with 9mm you can start on the heavy buffer side of it and go down in weight till it holds open since you'll be using it with a can later. Also the Wolf heavy spring could be an option too. I'd clean the mag guts and inspect the followers first tho.

I'm guessing at this point the mag issue may have been the ammo was in there funky. Just loaded the problem mag and cycled all 32 round without a problem!

On to the sticky trigger reset!

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Is the trigger from the CMMG part's kit? I've heard those are garbage. I've seen two Anderson triggers that wouldn't reset properly in the last year. Wouldn't be surprised if they're both sourcing there parts from the same junk supplier.

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Is the trigger from the CMMG part's kit? I've heard those are garbage. I've seen two Anderson triggers that wouldn't reset properly in the last year. Wouldn't be surprised if they're both sourcing there parts from the same junk supplier.

It is! I'm going to retry the CMC in it and see what it does.

Reactions: FatAlbert

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
And so, thanks to @dougiemac putting out a SET dust cover and SET 5.56 PMAG's, I had to have a 5.56 upper added to the pistol lower!!!

IMG950816.jpg

Parts included:

Spikes stripped upper
AT3 Tactical 10" handguard
Ballistic Advantage 11" 5.56 barrel
SET dust cover
Toolcraft BCG from @SpiceTac
TacticalGalaxy.com butterfly charging handle
Strike Industries forward assist and rails
Odin Works B1 handstop

Cerekote work completed by Hiland Arms

Last edited:

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
And so, thanks to @dougiemac putting out a SET dust cover and SET 5.56 PMAG's, I had to have a 5.56 upper added to the pistol lower!!!

View attachment 38294

Parts included:

Spikes stripped upper
AT3 Tactical 10" handguard
Ballistic Advantage 11" 5.56 barrel
SET dust cover
Toolcraft BCG from @SpiceTac
TacticalGalaxy.com butterfly charging handle
Strike Industries forward assist and rails
Odin Works B1 handstop

Cerekote work completed by Hiland Arms

This is totally badass! I LOVE IT!

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Whelp... the Gemtech GM9 doesn't fit under the handguard with the additional rails attached.

I think I'm going to try and find something with a little larger ID, around 1.5" should get it to fit.

The suppressor is 1.25" OD and the handguard is 1.375".

Then again, maybe I will just run without them... IDK!!!

Reactions: Mac11FA