Mustang with EcoBoost engine

Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I’m a classic muscle guy who loves big blocks and stroker motors and would never spend that kind of money on a modern car knowing what I could have had if I spent that money on a classic. However, it’s pretty impressive that some of these modern 4 cylinders are cranking out horsepower numbers in the 400-600 range on basically stock internals. Rally cross cars hit 0-60 in Just under 2 seconds with a 4 banger and I stood at the garage and watched them do engine swaps in the pits with the car on jack stands and two guys lifting and cramming the engine in by hand, No hoist, in the mere minutes they had between heats. While it’s not my thing, I have found respect for these little 4 bangers and what they’re capable of.
I had to jump in here regarding the bolded part. The very VERYYYYYY select few rally cars or even just cars in existence that go 0-60 in sub 2 seconds are the absolute furthest thing from stock in any way, shape or form. Even still, this is not a common thing. I have only ever heard of two cars doing this and one was Ken Block's Fiesta in Gymkhana 6 (furthest thing from stock anything on this car) and the Tesla Roadster (new one) which is still self claimed btw.

For reference, the fastest super/hypercars on the planet haven't broken the sub 2 second 0-60 feat yet. This includes the:

918 Spyder (I believe this one holds the record at 2.2 seconds [proven] )
Model S
Ariel Atom
SRT Demon
LaFerrari
Veyron (SS)
McLaren P1
etc etc etc

Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I think I’m about to trade in my 6.7 powerstroke f250 for a 3.5 ecoboost F150.

My wife is on her third ecoboost and we love them. The 3.5 has been out 8 years now and has proven to be a great engine.
Ive only heard pretty bad things about the 3.5 eco boosts personally. Their testing was shit apparently, their DI is shit apparently, and their warranty is less than a third what the foreign competitors are offering.

Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Check out these guys, I've had our Explorer sport with the 3.5 tuned for over 70k miles now with no problem. Made it a 5sec 0-60 suv! They are one of the leading tuner companies for ecoboost.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have only ever heard good things about Livernois. My buddy has a stroker from them he boosted and has been putting down a healthy 650 or so whp through a 298 ci 3v for a few years.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I had to jump in here regarding the bolded part. The very VERYYYYYY select few rally cars or even just cars in existence that go 0-60 in sub 2 seconds are the absolute furthest thing from stock in any way, shape or form. Even still, this is not a common thing. I have only ever heard of two cars doing this and one was Ken Block's Fiesta in Gymkhana 6 (furthest thing from stock anything on this car) and the Tesla Roadster (new one) which is still self claimed btw.

For reference, the fastest super/hypercars on the planet haven't broken the sub 2 second 0-60 feat yet. This includes the:

918 Spyder (I believe this one holds the record at 2.2 seconds [proven] )
Model S
Ariel Atom
SRT Demon
LaFerrari
Veyron (SS)
McLaren P1
etc etc etc
I could get in the 400hp ballpark out of my 2017 GTI with a tune, an intercooler and a few other bolt on parts. But you’re right, that wouldn’t get me near the sub 2 second 0-60 mark like the rally cars and I wasn’t implying that you could or that their internals were stock. They’re able to hit those numbers largely due to gearing which is very low to suit the short, tight tracks they race on. Those cars top out at maybe 120-130mph, but with different gearing, they break 200mph. Anyway, I didn’t mean to imply that those cars were anything near stock. Just saying that you can get some crazy high HP numbers on basically stock internals the way these 4 bangers are being built nowadays.

Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I could get in the 400hp ballpark out of my 2017 GTI with a tune, an intercooler and a few other bolt on parts. But you’re right, that wouldn’t get me near the sub 2 second 0-60 mark like the rally cars and I wasn’t implying that you could or that their internals were stock. They’re able to hit those numbers largely due to gearing which is very low to suit the short, tight tracks they race on. Those cars top out at maybe 120-130mph, but with different gearing, they break 200mph. Anyway, I didn’t mean to imply that those cars were anything near stock. Just saying that you can get some crazy high HP numbers on basically stock internals the way these 4 bangers are being built nowadays.
For reference also, I am pretty sure the 2.3L EcoBoost has all forged internals. Maybe not the pistons actually, can't remember but think those may be cast so that they could have integrated steel ring lands. Maybe that was the 3.5? Either way, mostly/all forged means they're good for MOAR BOOOOOST.

Most stock motors in existence are only good for about an additional 150 whp or lbs ft of torque before they are blowing their guts out all over the pavement.

Snewt1

Frontiersman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 7, 2015
The general consensus is that the 3.5 block (6 bolt mains) and crank (forged) is good for 6-700 whp. The limitations are the rods, turbos, and fuel system. Stock they are only good for around 450 whp.

Ford's direct injection problems were in the gen I engines. All manufacturers had problems when they went to di! Turns out, having fuel spraying on the back of the valves keeps them clean! Current gen ecoboost engines have an extra injector in the more conventional position along with the DI injector. These days, the engines are just as good as anyone else's. Just read up on the chevy trucks and their issues with their variable cylinder deactivation. If you look at the forums and the number of tuners to turn it off you'd think it's junk.... In reality, it's just different....

If anyone knows of a good 4 wheel dyno, I'd love to see what my Expy sport is making.....

Huddy

Marksman
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
The general consensus is that the 3.5 block (6 bolt mains) and crank (forged) is good for 6-700 whp. The limitations are the rods, turbos, and fuel system. Stock they are only good for around 450 whp.

Ford's direct injection problems were in the gen I engines. All manufacturers had problems when they went to di! Turns out, having fuel spraying on the back of the valves keeps them clean! Current gen ecoboost engines have an extra injector in the more conventional position along with the DI injector. These days, the engines are just as good as anyone else's. Just read up on the chevy trucks and their issues with their variable cylinder deactivation. If you look at the forums and the number of tuners to turn it off you'd think it's junk.... In reality, it's just different....

If anyone knows of a good 4 wheel dyno, I'd love to see what my Expy sport is making.....

DBW tuning in Peachtree corners has an all wheel. Tuned my friends Evo8 after we switched to E85. I think the owner's name is Doug, but don't quote me on that. He does the tuning for several time attack and 1/2 mile GTRs.
https://m.facebook.com/DBWmotorsports/

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
And did, to hell with dealerships and trying to negotiate a deal. I found a 2016 Audi A3 on Carvana that I am working on.