Mountain Biking

the_great_white

High Drag - Low Speed Operator
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Got some new flats on the bike so I headed over to Clinton Nature Preserve. Did a short 5.5 miles of single track. Love the new pedals but forgot I added the new grips too and didn't bring the right Allen key to adjust them. Had a front end wash coming out of a double offset through an off camber exit a little too hot and managed to push the front but somehow stayed upright as I hit the underbrush .Nice little pucker moment....lol

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am looking at getting a mountain bike soon. Any recommendations for a decent entry level bike?

I have looked at the giant and a couple other brands in the $500 range

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
I am looking at getting a mountain bike soon. Any recommendations for a decent entry level bike?

I'm on a 2016 Giant Talon 3, which is now the 2 . The folks up at Roswell bikes were awesome to deal with, even put me with it on a trainer to get all the adjustments set. I prefer the hardtail, more pedal efficient, less maintenance, lighter weight. If I was bombing big downhills or over 50, I'd probably go full squish, but I'm not there yet. Been on it for 3 years now and still no regerts!...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I'm on a 2016 Giant Talon 3, which is now the 2 . The folks up at Roswell bikes were awesome to deal with, even put me with it on a trainer to get all the adjustments set. I prefer the hardtail, more pedal efficient, less maintenance, lighter weight. If I was bombing big downhills or over 50, I'd probably go full squish, but I'm not there yet. Been on it for 3 years now and still no regerts!...lol
I checked out a shop in atlanta awhile back and the giant felt great riding around the parking lot.

I am pretty much looking to get a decent bike to learn how to peddle again. So I am not looking to spend a crap ton.

I am going to check a local shop this week to see what they have for deals.

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
I checked out a shop in atlanta awhile back and the giant felt great riding around the parking lot.

I am pretty much looking to get a decent bike to learn how to peddle again. So I am not looking to spend a crap ton.

If you're talking about Cycology, they're fairly limited...I think pretty much specialized is what they carry but I haven't been in there in a while. When picking a bike, spend the money on a quality framed bike. The components you can upgrade as you get better and break them...lol. A higher end frame with lower grade or entry level components is where in would start. Just make sure you feel comfortable, I prefer to feel likr I'm in the bike than on the bike.

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Given the direction the industry is moving there are 2 things personally I would avoid as they're becoming less common

1. absolutely avoid square taper bottom brackets

2. (Optional) Straight neck tubes...get the tapered neck tube, when you're ready to upgrade you're forks, you'll be happy you did .

Through axles are a personal choice in my opinion, they're stiffer and more responsive, but until you hit competitive skill levels, i say quick releases are fine. They give a little, but you won't notice much unless you start getting hardcore.

Last edited:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

I have a Marin 29er that I bought like 5 years ago. It has been a good bike and I haven’t been able to break anything on it.

Reactions: the_great_white

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
@Cudruln Do you know about the Silver Comet Mountain Bike Side Trail? It starts in downtown Hiram at the caboose and heads west on the south (left) side of the paved trail. there is blue blazing marking the different segments.
Here's some links to the info:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7004551/silver-comet-side-trail

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/silver-comet-mtb-side-trails.html

Download the Singletracks app and the MTB Project app
great apps for when you're on the trail. one may have better info than the other depending on which trail you're on.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

If you’re looking to get into something in the $500 range I’d seriously consider bikesdirect.com. I’ve bought at least 3-4 bikes from them. If you’ve got a quality made frame, then it’s all about components. You can get any combination of components under the sun. A $500 Motobecane from bikesdirect will get you the same component setup you’d get on a $1200 trek. I don’t ride seriously but ride from time to time with some guys that do. They’d tell you I ride a cheap bike when I show up on my $1800 GT Zaskar that I got for about $1200 when they were making way for next years models.

This is probably about as good as it gets in that price range. This would be an excellent starter bike. You’ll probably want to upgrade that suntour fork at some point, but the shimano components will get you down the trail reliably for quite some time.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom-29er-trail-mtb-tcs-xvi.htm

Hydraulic disc brakes, shimano drivetrain, remote lockout on the fork, the tubeless tire combo are all things you just don’t get on $500 bikes.

Last edited:

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
If you’re looking to get into something in the $500 range I’d seriously consider bikesdirect.com. I’ve boughy at least 3-4 bikes from them. If you’ve got a quality made frame, then it’s all about components. You can get any combination of components under the sun. A $500 Motobecane from bikesdirect will get you the same component setup you’d get on a $1200 trek. I don’t ride seriously but ride from time to time with some guys that do. They’d tell you I ride a cheap bike when I show up on my $1800 GT Zaskar that I got for about $1200 when they were making way for next years models.

This is probably about as good as it gets in that price range. This would be an excellent starter bike. You’ll probably want to upgrade that suntour fork at some point, but the shimano components will get you down the trail reliably for quite some time.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom-29er-trail-mtb-tcs-xvi.htm

Hydraulic disc brakes, shimano drivetrain, remote lockout on the fork, the tubeless tire combo are all things you just don’t get on $500 bikes.
Thanks for the link. That is a lot of bike for the money.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@Cudruln Do you know about the Silver Comet Mountain Bike Side Trail? It starts in downtown Hiram at the caboose and heads west on the south (left) side of the paved trail. there is blue blazing marking the different segments.
Here's some links to the info:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7004551/silver-comet-side-trail

https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/silver-comet-mtb-side-trails.html

Download the Singletracks app and the MTB Project app
great apps for when you're on the trail. one may have better info than the other depending on which trail you're on.
I will check it out once I get a bike

Reactions: the_great_white

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Thanks for the link. That is a lot of bike for the money.
My girlfriend wanted to start riding with me, so I bought her a Motobecane. It's a solid bike. Also, one of the guys that first got me into mountain biking back in highschool rides one now and has had good things to say about it.

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Just got back from McIntosh Reserve and doing 7 of the most miserable miles I've ever ridden. I recommend you choose your least favorite trail system, let the air out of your tires, and go ride that.....you'll have more fun doing that than there is at McIntosh. That place has a ton of potential if the trails were maintained. Horses have pretty much destroyed everything there. Also, the map is almost useless. There are so many alternate trails, side trails, short cuts, and cut-throughs that aren't on the map, you just about can't even figure out where you are exactly unless you can spot some sort of structure or road because trail marking is almost non-existent. This was my first time there and I won't be back to ride those "trails".

Grainchaser

Woodsman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Consider scouring craigslist or the like for a nice used bicycle. Good way to test the waters without breaking the bank. Just stick to major brands like Trek, Giant and Specialized and you should find a decent deal. Good luck!

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Just threw down another 9 miles over at Clinton Nature Preserve.....I love riding that place.

What's y'alls favorite trail system? I'm always looking for new places to ride .

the_great_white

Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Did 5.5 today....a tough day though. Didn't sleep well last night and since i had already been up since just before 4, i reluctantly decided i would just go ride about 6:30.....I had a hard time finding my groove this morning..... Running a new chain-ring, trying out a different tire pressure, and then throw in a trail i haven't ridden in a couple of years, and got unseated a couple of times unexpectedly.....oh, and once i started my run up the first technical climb, a damned tree across the trail, couldn't get back in the pedal and had to hike-a-bike for a minute. almost said fuck it about the first mile in but pushed through.