Marlin Texan - Bullseye Replacement

Faktory 47

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I refinished this Marlin 336 a few years ago, both the bluing and wood finish. At the time, one issue that I didn't address was replacing the missing bullseye in the stock. Someone in the past had attached a sling mount to the stock, putting wood screw through the bullseye. The original drilled hole was still intact, though damaged a good bit around the edges.

The bullseye is apparently now a discontinued part, and I was lucky enough to find a someone who had an extra one for me.

This weekend I worked on the installation. I was nervous about getting started, mainly because I only refinished the stock a few years ago. I just hate tearing apart something that's already nice.

Not surprisingly the new bullseye is made larger, intended to be shaved down to fit. I don't know how this is normally accomplished, but I chose to spin the part with a drill motor, using wood chisel to shave it down.

20210331_233139.jpg

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I worked with one end until I could get it to fit, then tapered it out to the other end to create a tight fit. Happy with the size, I added a little glue to the hole and seated it with a small mallet.

These pics also show how the top edges of the hole were damaged.

20210331_233558.jpg 20210331_233706.jpg

Hoss

International Man of Pallor
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Monticello
Zip code
Awesome attention to detail here. I’ve had quite a few 336’s over the years and so many of them had the bullseye drilled out. I know to look for that now and pay accordingly.

Reactions: 3x and Miles

Miles

Tactical Operator
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Why is there the bullseye in the first place and why do people drill it out?

Reactions: 3x

lesptr

Sasquatch
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code

I had the same question. Found this.

No idea why people would drill it out though.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola

Yep, if you think about how a gun shop typically displays rifles, it's a quick way to identify a Marlin on the rack.

I think many people have used it as a mounting location because
- the bullseye is in the location where oem rear mounts are often provided
- it's a location you can drill without damaging the wood.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
In a possibly insane move, I have removed the putty and made a third attempt at getting this as close as possible.

I used a drill on the end of the stock - the area under the butt pad - to make a little sawdust. I mixed it with the darker wood putty and reapplied it to the damaged area. Not sure if it will be a better match or not.

Grunk

Spitting out pieces of my broken luck
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code

I'm old enough to remember that there was an old wive's tale (or, in this case, an old gun counter tale) from the old guys hanging out around the gun counter at the hardware store, that the bullseye was put there specifically to indicate where you should drill for a sling mount. Remember, way back when, average folks didn't talk about marketing much & that these guys were there because there was no full on gun store where I grew up, hardware stores, Sears & many other retailers sold guns & that's where that generation's "internet gun experts" hung out.

lesptr

Sasquatch
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I'm old enough to remember that there was an old wive's tale (or, in this case, an old gun counter tale) from the old guys hanging out around the gun counter at the hardware store, that the bullseye was put there specifically to indicate where you should drill for a sling mount. Remember, way back when, average folks didn't talk about marketing much & that these guys were there because there was no full on gun store where I grew up, hardware stores, Sears & many other retailers sold guns & that's where that generation's "internet gun experts" hung out.

I remember growing up where the Western Auto was the gun store. Well, that and K-Mart.

• Love
Reactions: Grunk

Grunk

Spitting out pieces of my broken luck
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I remember growing up where the Western Auto was the gun store. Well, that and K-Mart.
yep. Th little town of fewer than 1,000 people that was the closest town to where I grew up had a western auto & i'd hang at the gun counter while my dad got what he needed. There was a Sears about 25 miles away & that's where my dad got my Mossberg bolt-action .410 I got for my 8th birthday. I gave that gun to my grandnephew for his 13th birthday a couple of years ago.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
yep. Th little town of fewer than 1,000 people that was the closest town to where I grew up had a western auto & i'd hang at the gun counter while my dad got what he needed. There was a Sears about 25 miles away & that's where my dad got my Mossberg bolt-action .410 I got for my 8th birthday. I gave that gun to my grandnephew for his 13th birthday a couple of years ago.
Western Auto was the 'go to' for a lot of stuff. Anybody remember Otasco?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

T_Max

Southeast Pimp Style
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Was a western auto in acworth and Marietta when I grew up, pretty sure Marietta had an otasco also

Reactions: Grunk

Miles

Tactical Operator
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Y'all had Long's Drug stores here?
There were up in Alaska in the 90s, and sold ammo, rifles, SKS, etc.
Not too long ago (2017) even Kroger sold handguns, rifles and ammo.

lesptr

Sasquatch
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Y'all had Long's Drug stores here?
There were up in Alaska in the 90s, and sold ammo, rifles, SKS, etc.
Not too long ago (2017) even Kroger sold handguns, rifles and ammo.

Where did Kroger sell those?
Never seen that.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
In a possibly insane move, I have removed the putty and made a third attempt at getting this as close as possible.

I used a drill on the end of the stock - the area under the butt pad - to make a little sawdust. I mixed it with the darker wood putty and reapplied it to the damaged area. Not sure if it will be a better match or not.

I made the final repair with sawdust and wood glue. With proper sanding and now four coats of TruOil, It's looking as good as it can for a repair. I'll do at least four more coats before I'm ready to call it complete.

20210406_161622.jpg 20210407_224758.jpg

Last edited: