Man who recorded arrested for murder

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I've been waiting for this to happen. This guy was driving behind the man jogging, kind of herding him towards the others while shooting video. That's the basis for the "attempted false imprisonment" charges. Arbery died during the commission of a felony so they can all be charged with felony murder, as I understand it. Is that right, @triplestack3?

lesptr

Weekend Warrior
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I've been waiting for this to happen. This guy was driving behind the man jogging, kind of herding him towards the others while shooting video. That's the basis for the "attempted false imprisonment" charges. Arbery died during the commission of a felony so they can all be charged with felony murder, as I understand it. Is that right, @triplestack3?
Thanks. It’s always nice when things are explained.

Reactions: BangBang and Grunk

triplestack3

3nd Degree Black Belt
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Atlanta
Zip code
Yes, that is how it works, assuming that attempted false imprisonment is a proper predicate felony for felony murder. If the defendant is not found guilty of the predicate felony, he gets out of felony murder.
I'm surprised not to see conspiracy to commit murder as a charge unless it collapses into felony murder - where the felony murder stems from the co-defendants' actions because they were working in concert. If that's the case, then defendant still faces a murder charge even if he gets out of the attempted false imprisonment.
Take all this with a grain of salt since it's been some years since I have had to know any of this stuff.

Grunk

Dog-Faced Pony Soldier
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Yes, that is how it works, assuming that attempted false imprisonment is a proper predicate felony for felony murder. If the defendant is not found guilty of the predicate felony, he gets out of felony murder.
I'm surprised not to see conspiracy to commit murder as a charge unless it collapses into felony murder - where the felony murder stems from the co-defendants' actions because they were working in concert. If that's the case, then defendant still faces a murder charge even if he gets out of the attempted false imprisonment.
Take all this with a grain of salt since it's been some years since I have had to know any of this stuff.
Thanks. I take everything about this with a grain of salt right now because I'm having to go on news reports. :unsure: That's where the info that the guy shooting the video was working with the shooter came from. For now, I assume that's accurate, but a jury would have to be convinced or it, I'm sure.

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2015
Hilton Head, SC
Zip code
I think it's being reviewed by Chatham county. I would assume they were in the same circuit!
Nope, different circuits. Chatham has some legitimately terrible judges and a corrupt as fuck DA.

Although, across the river a few years back, they tried charging someone with felony murder without a predicate felony.....at least Chatham isn't that fucked.

Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk