M&P 10 and Aero Precision brief review

Grainchaser

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Finally had a chance to get to the range the other day.

I wanted to sight in an M&P 10 I recently acquired as well my new Aero Precision upper.

The M&P was a huge disappointment. It turns out this example is a Jam-O-Matic. It misfed and literally dented the snot out of four or five cartridges and had intermittent failures to feed and failure to go into battery.

I suspect the neckbeard that sold it to me knew this condition existed but I’ll never now.

I got a return ticket from Smith and Wesson and the rifle is on its way back to the factory.

Other than it’s abhorrent feeding, the rifle grouped very well with 147 gr milsurp ammo.

I was using a 2-7 Redfield Revolution and managed around 1.5 to 3” groups at 100 yards. Given how aggravated I was, which likely affected my shooting, I am pleased with the accuracy of the rifle.

The Aero is another matter altogether. This thing is FIRE.

After doping at 50 yards with the Wilson pop-up BUIS’s, I shot for groups at 100 yards. A minor elevation adjustment and it was pretty well dialed in. I shot a mix of 62 and 55 gr Lake City and the was quite pleased with the grouping, best was 1.5”.

I picked the wrong target for the distance and was having a hard time seeing the target, but I used Jedi mind tricks to visualize where I thought the bull was and it sorta worked out.

Very pleased with the fit, finish and precision of the Aero upper. It is mated to a PSA Magpul edition lower, with a polished milspec FCG. The pull is as heavy as Oprah, but it has a decently crisp break. I may not bother with a drop-in.

I’ll upload some photos and the specs soon.

Last edited:

Grainchaser

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I've heard good things about S&W customer service. Never dealt with them myself though.
I have sent 3 L frames back for the “M” modification (nose bushing and firing pin) and was nothing but pleased with the service.

The gentleman I spoke with was great, had a prepaid FedEx mailer in minutes. I made the mistake of telling him I bought the gun second hand, he then advised me that Smith has a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. I immediately said I didn’t say that and we both had a laugh.

Now....if i could only find a shipping box.

Reactions: Herk

Grainchaser

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Here are some pictures of the cartridges:

1AAEC9DC-0148-42DD-933B-E615C02740EB.jpegE7F7062C-AA09-4B1B-B9D1-BE6FC1645094.jpeg7BD984FA-DF36-44FF-86A8-6C0D345C3FF9.jpeg

Note the bend in cartridge 3.

• Wow
Reactions: Hayata

Red Dawn

Wolverine
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
@Grainchaser do you think it was over gassed I’ve heard that about some DPMS style AR10 s ?
Hopefully they will get it right for ya. Black River Tactical has an adjustable gas port tuning kit if not.
I really like Aero and Ballistic Advantage they are great quality for the price

Grainchaser

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
@Grainchaser do you think it was over gassed I’ve heard that about some DPMS style AR10 s ?
Hopefully they will get it right for ya. Black River Tactical has an adjustable gas port tuning kit if not.
I really like Aero and Ballistic Advantage they are great quality for the price
I am not sure about the gassing. I may, down the road, put a rail on the rifle, which would require a different gas block. Right now, just wanted to run it bone stock to see what's up. Pretty confident Smith will get it right, if not, I'll have an expensive paper weight.

I have nothing but positive feelings about both Aero and BA. I have several Aero lowers and upper receivers. I have 5 BA barreled guns. For the money, they are a high value item. This is my first "complete" upper from Aero. So far, I am really pleased.

Red Dawn

Wolverine
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I am not sure about the gassing. I may, down the road, put a rail on the rifle, which would require a different gas block. Right now, just wanted to run it bone stock to see what's up. Pretty confident Smith will get it right, if not, I'll have an expensive paper weight.

I have nothing but positive feelings about both Aero and BA. I have several Aero lowers and upper receivers. I have 5 BA barreled guns. For the money, they are a high value item. This is my first "complete" upper from Aero. So far, I am really pleased.
Well if they don’t you can always put an Aero upper on it lol. Good luck.

Reactions: Grainchaser