Long term food

Howard Law

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
What brand long term food are you storing up on? I have done a good bit of self packaging, though I am looking at grabbing a couple of the ready to go buckets.

Calories are high on the list, shelf life, price, packaging and taste. In no particular order.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
I don't have a vacuum sealer and don't have a lot of time to commit to home-grown prepping, so I've just been accumulating Mountain House meals when they are on sale. Extremely high in sodium as most MREs are, but for 20+ year shelf life and the fact that most taste half-way decent, they are my go-to. Think I have about 2 cases worth at this point.

lesptr

Sasquatch
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I have mountain house, wise, and mypatriotsupply. They all seem to be about the same taste wise.
I’d go with whatever is on sale.

Reactions: Shortcut

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
My current tote (just in case we need to bug out if SHTF) packed with mostly Moutian House and a few other brands, but like @lesptr mentioned, whatever is on sale.

I try to mix them up with breakfast, dinner and a few deserts, but honestly usually just comes down to what's cheap at the time.

20210515_222743.jpg

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I bought some of the mypatriotsupply and Costco had a few buckets about a month ago that they quickly sold out of. Can't remember the name and too lazy to go dig 'em out to get the name.

Supposed to be good for 25 years. I hope we never have to find out.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have been looking at the my patriot supply. They are advertising highest calorie at the lowest cost. 25 year shelf life. Already in packaged in stackable containers.

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I have been looking at the my patriot supply. They are advertising highest calorie at the lowest cost. 25 year shelf life. Already in packaged in stackable containers.

Before I bought I started a thread on ODT and it sounds like it wasn't the best but wasn't the worst, either. At the time was one of the least expensive options. One complaint was that they use a LOT of drink mix to make up the 2,000 calorie meal.

oio

Sniper
Site Supporter
Trusted Trader
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
What brand long term food are you storing up on? I have done a good bit of self packaging, though I am looking at grabbing a couple of the ready to go buckets.

Calories are high on the list, shelf life, price, packaging and taste. In no particular order.
I am stocking up on knowledge regarding food prep, more foraging for mushrooms and other plants, and lots of salt for meats.
Fishhooks, line, and learning primitive traps

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
I am stocking up on knowledge regarding food prep, more foraging for mushrooms and other plants, and lots of salt for meats.
Add good sugar to your stash for preserving fruit and berries.
We like Mexican ubleached.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Dawn and Grunk

oio

Sniper
Site Supporter
Trusted Trader
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
Add good sugar to your stash for preserving fruit and berries.
We like Mexican ubleached.
Thanks, already know some about the fruit preservation but locally we don’t have what I really like (the small wild mountain strawberries, sour cherries, apricot, and quince)

Reactions: Miles

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Thanks, already know some about the fruit preservation but locally we don’t have what I really like (the small wild mountain strawberries, sour cherries, apricot, and quince)
We have tried to grow apricots for 8 years. Trees do fine, flower, but late Aplril frost kills the fruit every year.
Do not have quince, but I looked it up. It can be grown in GA. I grow apples and pears, they are related.
Probably too warm for sour cherries (I have beem experimenting with cherries for years also), but plums grow great, if you want sour/less sweet jam.
Also, we do low sugar/German style jams, very different from store bought junk. Use low sugar pectin and 1/3 of the sugar receipe calls for. For sweet fruit, like figs, we cut it to 1/4.

oio

Sniper
Site Supporter
Trusted Trader
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
We have tried to grow apricots for 8 years. Trees do fine, flower, but late Aplril frost kills the fruit every year.
Do not have quince, but I looked it up. It can be grown in GA. I grow apples and pears, they are related.
Probably too warm for sour cherries (I have beem experimenting with cherries for years also), but plums grow great, if you want sour/less sweet jam.
Also, we do low sugar/German style jams, very different from store bought junk. Use low sugar pectin and 1/3 of the sugar receipe calls for. For sweet fruit, like figs, we cut it to 1/4.
The climate and soil here are not adequate for the ones I mentioned, main issue, but that’s how it is. We are too far south.
The smaller Japanese quince can be grown here but it’s technically a bush and does not yield much and different flavor.
I‘ve tried also and gave up. From what I learned the trees need to freeze for 2+ weeks continuously in winter otherwise they won’t produce even if they flower. I usually get the fruit from Michigan when in season (have some relatives that go every year for cherries, sour cherries, quince, apples, etc)

Reactions: Miles

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am pretty set on fishing and hunting. Meat preservation (without electricity) is something I would definitely like to get more knowledge on. I have a couple of books for traditional style meat preserving.

I am planning on planting a couple of extra food supply plants/ trees this year on the property.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
I am pretty set on fishing and hunting. Meat preservation (without electricity) is something I would definitely like to get more knowledge on. I have a couple of books for traditional style meat preserving.

I am planning on planting a couple of extra food supply plants/ trees this year on the property.
I have deer on the property, but would need help with hunting and dressing deer.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Was mowing Saturday night, got to within 50ft of a doe, before she ran off.
I may need to let someone the property hunt in return for teaching me and a some meat.
How much land are you on?