Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
So I got a good deal on as Vortex Viper 6 5-20x44 when I got my Varminteer. It has a BDC reticle. Unfortunately I didn't have the option for a mil-dot which was what I really wanted. I'm about to buy a training rifle and would like to set it up similar to my Varminteer so I can start working on my long range game. Fresh start, do I need to get a mil-dot this time? Is BDC acceptable? I don't see many using it other than hunters? Is there another option in my $4-500 price range that would be better? I really am looking to get some trigger time at longer ranges, but I've never shot past 200 yards. Please school a newbie. Thanks.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Not a fan of BDC reticles for precision shooting. A well-designed mil or MOA reticle, with matching turrets, works with everything.

Mil-dots will work fine, although something like a Gen2, or one of the modern reticles that use hashmarks instead of dots, work better for most folks. Lots of companies don't even offer a mil dot reticle anymore.

The scopes that I have personal experience with, in your price range, that I'd recommend, are fixed powers like the SWFA Super Sniper.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I 2nd not going the BDC route, you still need to know your hold offs at distance, and make wind calls on top of that.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
@Rwjeter A couple of my buds and I are going to a 400-1000 range in two weeks. Its a bit of a drive but its worth it.
Thought I would give you a invite.
Thanks man. I might have to pass on that one. But I would like to go maybe next time. I'm going to the CMP range at Talladega in about a month or I'd be all over it. Lol

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I 2nd not going the BDC route, you still need to know your hold offs at distance, and make wind calls on top of that.
I believe I'm gonna get a Vortex Viper with the mil dot reticle. It's going on a CZ 455 Precision Trainer. So I really don't want a fixed 20x but I also don't want to drop Nightforce money for a 22lr.

Reactions: cmshoot

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Don't be afraid of the cheap scope - but keep expectations in line.

I've shot 600 yards at CMP with scopes less than $200...Kalinka on a VEPR and a Redfield (no longer made) on a Swiss K-31.

I'm not clover leafing but they are going in the black.

I'm just giggling like a school girl to print at all...for the most part my cross hairs are about mid-way through the lane marker and I'm using Kentucky windage and stadia hold-over lines.

Dang, all this long range talk and I want to drive out to CMP!

<--- not a long range accurate shooter, ask cmshoot for the GOOD advice!

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Don't be afraid of the cheap scope - but keep expectations in line.

I've shot 600 yards at CMP with scopes less than $200...Kalinka on a VEPR and a Redfield (no longer made) on a Swiss K-31.

I'm not clover leafing but they are going in the black.

I'm just giggling like a school girl to print at all...for the most part my cross hairs are about mid-way through the lane marker and I'm using Kentucky windage and stadia hold-over lines.

Dang, all this long range talk and I want to drive out to CMP!

<--- not a long range accurate shooter, ask cmshoot for the GOOD advice!
He was the first person I tagged for this question! Lol. Does anyone know of a decent variable zoom scope with the hash marks instead of the mil dots in my price range? $4-500. I would ultimately like to learn how to range with my scope as well. As I've said this is going to be a way for me to practice a lot more than with my more expensive Centerfire rifles.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Rwjeter, contact Scott Berish of Liberty Optics. Tell him Shep sent ya. He'll recommend the best option in your price range with your criteria. Great guy and one of the most knowledgeable optics guys I've ever met.

http://libertyoptics.com/