Long Range Gun Build

Howard Law

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Except heavy barrel...

Yup. Only thing that keeps me from being 100% behind the offerings from Bergara. Even their non-dual roll intended rifles use the same #5 contour barrel. If they’d go up to about a #7..........

FWIW, I’m starting to train folks on some new property in Aragon GA and we have a capability for 400yds. I’m looking at offering a watered down version of the 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course that I usually run on a 1,000yd range in Pelham TN. All the same knowledge, but we’ll shoot to 400yds, and I’ll include ranging as well. Probably a 10 hour day instead of the normal 8. I will still offer the 2-day in TN, this will be an additional course for the folks that don’t have the time and/or money to go up to Pelham.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Yup. Only thing that keeps me from being 100% behind the offerings from Bergara. Even their non-dual roll intended rifles use the same #5 contour barrel. If they’d go up to about a #7..........

FWIW, I’m starting to train folks on some new property in Aragon GA and we have a capability for 400yds. I’m looking at offering a watered down version of the 2-day Basic Precision Rifle Course that I usually run on a 1,000yd range in Pelham TN. All the same knowledge, but we’ll shoot to 400yds, and I’ll include ranging as well. Probably a 10 hour day instead of the normal 8. I will still offer the 2-day in TN, this will be an additional course for the folks that don’t have the time and/or money to go up to Pelham.
If they could just spend less time turning down the damn barrel. I even went into the shop over a year ago and asked if I could get one with a heavier barfel and was told no. Really don't understand their hard on for a no 5 profile.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Thomas Woods at Shadow Hunter Concepts said they have police turn-in HS Precision stocks for $140. That’s a killer deal if they’re structurally sound.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Magpul just put out a pic of the "backbones" of this 700 chassis! All aluminum with some polymer skin on it!

Reactions: cmshoot

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
@dougiemac, Mile High Shooting, www.milehighshooting.com, is a good place to look at almost anything long range related. Good choice of Chassis and stocks, bipods, glass, accessories. Not all encompassing, but probably the best long range dedicated shop out there. Well respected in the industry.

Reactions: cmshoot

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
@dougiemac, Mile High Shooting, www.milehighshooting.com, is a good place to look at almost anything long range related. Good choice of Chassis and stocks, bipods, glass, accessories. Not all encompassing, but probably the best long range dedicated shop out there. Well respected in the industry.

Good folks. Not sure if it’s still the case, but many years ago the guy that ran it was a former British Marine Sniper.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So I started a long range gun build a year ago and I haven't finished it yet, but I really want to.

So far I have:
  • Remington 700 (.308) SPS Tactical AAC short action
  • Overmolded Hogue stock
  • Harris Engineering Hinged Bipod
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 Optic
What I need:
  • Mount
  • Rings
Any advice for a quality set of rings and a mount?
Anything else I need for this gun?
I might be biased, but the Nightforce Remington 700 direct mount is awesome. It’s called the X-treme duty direct mount. No lapping required.

Last edited:
Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I might be biased, but the Nightforce Remington 700 direct mount is awesome. It’s called the X-treme duty direct mount. No lapping required.

I purchased a set of NF standard duty ring set to go on the mount that is already affixed to the gun. Now I just need to learn how to sight this monster in.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I purchased a set of NF standard duty ring set to go on the mount that is already affixed to the gun. Now I just need to learn how to sight this monster in.
Gotcha. MOAR reticle? Also, and a lot of people don't realize this, your NXS has an illuminated reticle.