Let's talk water storage!

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
What are the ins and outs? What type of containers are you using? Do you have a rotation schedule?

I am getting ready to get more serious about water storage and would like some input. There have been to many water scares in the last year, so I would like to have a good supply of clean water on hand.

Reactions: Mac11FA and karlvv

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I've done the simple and "free" method before- I'll have to find a picture. My previous pantry had about 30 2 liter bottles as the "floor". I saved the bottles as we used them, generally they were all clear Diet Dr Pepper two liter bottles. I rinsed them well and filled with tap water.

The two liters were standing up in the bottom of the pantry with a piece of 1/2" plywood on top. I (rarely) rotated the water. After about three years, I had no bottle failures although some were starting to feel a bit crunchy- not so soft anymore. On about an annual basis, I emptied the bottles and refilled them. Sometimes longer. I did a few taste tests along and noticed nothing off about the water at all. Also note that this area was not particularly well protected from sunlight, aside from being in the house. The front layer was exposed to light everyday because the pantry had no door.

Anyway, that was what I've done before. Currently I haven't refilled any bottles at the new house- I suppose we have gotten a bit too comfortable.

And I find it funny that water would have an expiration date- I know it can grow algae and other undesirable things. However, I'd expect boiling it or at worst, distilling it would cure most of those evils. Just my uneducated opinion though-

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have been admiring the water bricks at truprep. I feel that may be the most effective and space saving route to go.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I have been admiring the water bricks at truprep. I feel that may be the most effective and space saving route to go.

I agree that the stackable rectangles (that interlock too) would be the ultimate as far as space saving goes- what can I say, I'm cheap. And we still had a lot of water in about a 3'x3' space.

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I agree that the stackable rectangles (that interlock too) would be the ultimate as far as space saving goes- what can I say, I'm cheap. And we still had a lot of water in about a 3'x3' space.
I am looking at storage in the basement under the stairs. There is a nice big waste of space that I would like to put to use.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I am looking at storage in the basement under the stairs. There is a nice big waste of space that I would like to put to use.

I felt the same way about the bottom of our pantry. I might be inclined to put together some plywood and 2x4 shelves and stack bottles on them- so long as you have a source for empty two liter bottles. Sounds like that area would get minimal light too- which I'm sure could only help prolong the shelf life.

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I have a water cooler, and I try to keep 25-30 gallons in the house all the time in 5 gallon water bottles.