Ketogenic Paleo Lifestyle

American Revival Apparel Company

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So I've been eating a much cleaner diet than I have in the past, mainly cutting out a lot of carbs and sugars. I'm not a huge bread, pasta or grains person, so it's not been that big of an issue. I've not gone hungry once and I've eaten quite well...and after two days, I'm proud to report a 7.8 lbs drop! I can only imagine when I kick into full ketosis and begin some cardio and weights what will happen.

Anyone else eating similarly?

Reactions: Pbenny and Laufen

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
I've thought about it. I need to read up more on it.

Diets are difficult with my work schedule though.

This has been the easiest transition I've ever seen and done... the toughest thing for me will be not drinking a cold beer every so often. I love high protein diets... steak, pork, chicken, fish, etc. and veggies... so it's not that big of deal for me to cut out a lot of the carbs. The toughest thing for me is cutting dairy. I love cheese.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
If it works for you, it's certainly an efficient means of trimming down.
I lose my mind without carbs, it doesn't even have to be junk carbs, but I get seriously irritable if I cut carbs.

I find the best weight loss diet for me is just to cut to really clean and balanced/low fat, but still take in a good bit of carbs from rice and oatmeal. It ends up being about 75% of the efficacy of dropping carbs altogether, but I feel better.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This has been the easiest transition I've ever seen and done... the toughest thing for me will be not drinking a cold beer every so often. I love high protein diets... steak, pork, chicken, fish, etc. and veggies... so it's not that big of deal for me to cut out a lot of the carbs. The toughest thing for me is cutting dairy. I love cheese.
Then don't cut those things out entirely. Diets that promote some sort of extreme, vs moderation and balance will eventually stop producing the desired effects. Your body is wants balance, not extremes. It'll quickly respond when you cut certain things out, but then it'll compensate for the things that it's not getting.

For most people the point of a diet is to feel better and be healthier. If you want a bagel or a beer sometimes, have one.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Then don't cut those things out entirely. Diets that promote some sort of extreme, vs moderation and balance will eventually stop producing the desired effects. Your body is wants balance, not extremes. It'll quickly respond when you cut certain things out, but then it'll compensate for the things that it's not getting.

For most people the point of a diet is to feel better and be healthier. If you want a bagel or a beer sometimes, have one.

right... i dont want bread and grains... I will occasionally have a beer, but not 12 and not 3 times a week. :)

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
right... i dont want bread and grains... I will occasionally have a beer, but not 12 and not 3 times a week. :)
Yeah, me too. I don't like grains at all, so giving up bread, pasta, etc wouldn't be hard at all...I usually don't eat much of that anyway. And yeah on the beer. I might have 5-7/week total.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
It's also a low inflammation diet. Good for your joints, etc.

I don't cut out cheese/sour cream/etc.

Works like a charm. However, if you fall off the plan in a hard way, the weight comes back on faster than it came off.

Drink lots of water.

And there are no carbs in booze. I just hate that diet tonic water tastes so bad!

When I was travelling a lot with work let's just say I enjoyed my expense account and entertaining. When I finally got serious I was able to lose 35 lbs in about six months and my back didn't hurt any more. It's ok to cheat every once in a while and if you want to get back onto track do an "egg fast" where you only eat eggs for a couple of days. Fried eggs, eggs with spam, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, deviled eggs in my best Bubba voice from Forest Gump. Will get your system right back in line.

Alton Brown lost a bunch of weight low carbing and has a great smoothie recipe. Since we have a Vitamix they are great to have as breakfast in the summer/warm months. Or for dinner with a little vodka added...

Good luck and keep us posted!

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
So I've been eating a much cleaner diet than I have in the past, mainly cutting out a lot of carbs and sugars. I'm not a huge bread, pasta or grains person, so it's not been that big of an issue. I've not gone hungry once and I've eaten quite well...and after two days, I'm proud to report a 7.8 lbs drop! I can only imagine when I kick into full ketosis and begin some cardio and weights what will happen.

Anyone else eating similarly?
keep in mind that on Keto your stamina in the gym will suffer, your maxes wont be as high. You'll slim down like crazy, its a great cut diet, but carbs are what you need for bulking.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
keep in mind that on Keto your stamina in the gym will suffer, your maxes wont be as high. You'll slim down like crazy, its a great cut diet, but carbs are what you need for bulking.
yeah.... i've felt that. this is totally for cutting and getting a handle of things. i'm supplementing for the stamina. :)

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
yeah.... i've felt that. this is totally for cutting and getting a handle of things. i'm supplementing for the stamina. :)
Check out BPI Best Pre, it's a ketogenic pre-workout without jitters or crash.

shaneadams90

Scout
Jan 27, 2017
Dalton
www.eseeknives.com
Zip code
Personally, I have been giving a LOT of thought of going Paleo/Caveman/Keto myself....It has so many names. As my buddy @Hayata stated the Paleo diet is really great at reducing inflammation and after years of hard use and getting banged up my body is showing the signs of wear and tear.

In our home we have transitioned to eating mostly meat we have killed and processed ourselves. We eat a LOT of venison and I am proud to say that my 15 year old does far more to feed our family than I do. I also listen to a podcast called "The Gritty Bowmen" that cover this topic a lot. Joe Rogan has MANY podcasts with experts on this is on a Keto diet himself.

As a life long cyclist and endurance athlete I have a natural affinity for Pasta, Breads, Dairy and Cheese.....but the notion of this diet and what it can do for my joints still intrigues me. I'm 45 and most of the injuries I see in guys may age is connective tissue or repetitive injury (overuse) issues that Paleo really seems to help...

This conversation is helping me push that way...I start a new job on Monday and will have a lot more flexibility so I would like to take over the meal preparation for the family and start steering us that way! Glad to see topics like this here on the SET!!

shaneadams90

Scout
Jan 27, 2017
Dalton
www.eseeknives.com
Zip code
for supplements I've always been a Hammer Nutrition fan but there is a new company called MTN Ops that I am really looking into as well....

Guys that are Paleo or Keto please keep updating us....Inquiring minds want to know!

Good luck!

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
@dougiemac how goes the Keto?

I've been looking into. Any advice?

Well I did really well with it, dropping weight fast however mood was shitty, energy levels low, overall felt like a grouch. I know a number of people that do well with it, and that's great! Whatever works for them! However I was talking to my buddy Kit Cope (name drop) and was asking him thoughts and ideas and he went back to the tried and true, eat balanced meals, avoid fast food, work out consistently/daily and that life is too short to deny yourself things you love, so if you want pizza, then eat pizza, but put in more work in the gym the next day.

Kit said keto is good for dropping that last 10lbs before a weigh in or a body building show, but not sustainable for a lifetime.

Reactions: Righter13